Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Facing a better than remote possibility of landing a job in Bend I'd like to learn about the bike scene there. Not just mountain biking but roadie and commuter biking as well. While in my heart I call myself a mountain biker, I'm really just a plain old biker. To my credit, my only road rig is actually a cross bike and I get it dirty as often as I can.

I'd be coming from Tucson where road riding is pretty well supported with community efforts such as bike lanes, which just earned us a Gold rating from the Leage of American Bicyclists. The mountain biking is decent, more so because of the proximity of the trails to town than because of the quality of the riding.

Anyone here feel qualified to draw a comparison between Tucson and Bend? If I'm lucky enough to score an interview trip then I'll be looking for a local guide to show me his favorite trail. Until then, thanks for any input and shred on!

Jeff

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Bend seems even better than I had hoped for. If I move there I promise not to tell anyone else about it.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
While you won't find anything as technical as in Tucson the option for riding from town is just as good. I have ridden trails down there like Milgrosa and the 50 Year trail. I don't live there but I have friends that do and they pretty much hang up the bikes this time of year in favor of the snow sports.

Plus you are only a 1 1/2 hr drive from some of the best riding around.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Plain & simple, the biking is good. Bike lanes on most roads through town - even funky faces on the little biking guy! Mountain biking galore if you ride cross country. And road riding for days. Check out Hutches website for an idea of some of the rides: http://www.hutchsbicycles.com/PAGE1.htm. There is also cyclocross events at the end of summer, a HUGE local mountain bike organzation: cotamtb.org and huge community of riders. A cool place to live if you are into biking. And within a few hours there are hundreds of other places to take your bike as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no chefs?

The little painted bike guys in Tucson wear chefs hats. At least that's what they look like. I've never tried to paint a bike helmet so I shouldn't be one to judge.

Thanks for the righteous responses. Sounds too good to be true!

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Whoa, how'd I miss this thread? I moved to Bend from Tucson in 2002.

The trails here are smooth and fast, versus the loose rock in Tucson. Think AZ Trail near Kentucky Camp. The ideal bike (IMO) for Bend is a lightweight xc machine, either hardtail or short-travel FS, although there is a new trail network under development focused on freeride or all-mountain type bikes.

Most of the rides in Tucson are under 20 miles in length but here the trail network is so extensive you can go 40-50-60-100...however long you want to make it. And if you think the trails around Tucson are close in proximity, then you're in for a nice surprise! People actually ride from home to the trails here since the main trail network (Phil's triangle) is just on the edge of town. I used to think the 20 miles drive to Fantasy Island was short, and it was my "after work" ride. Now if I even have to load the bikes on the car it's a big deal. The quality of riding is far better too. Technical riding is out there; you just have to know where. Some of it is "off the map." Since there are hundreds of miles of trails, you might pedal 10 miles in between tech sections.

At least 50% of people I've met ride a bike, and it's a very big part of the local scene. Bend has a reputation of being an athletic community. Many exceptionally fit people live here, and can relate to outdoor pursuits. When you see people around town wearing Olympic hats and jackets, it's because they actually competed there. Many professionals in various sports live here too. It's easy to find yourself mediocre or slow here.

The road riding is also very sweet. There are lots of rolling, smooth routes through the high desert with majestic views of the Cascades. Many of the rural road routes have 5' wide bike lanes, and since road bikes are such a common sight, it's rare to hear about someone getting fanned or hassled by a driver. I think it also helps that so many people ride bikes themselves, so they tend to be considerate when you're commuting around town.

We could not be happier with our move. Bend suits our tastes so much better than Tucson did. Even though Tucson calls itself a bike-friendly community, Bend is leagues ahead.

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Cog Wild said:
No, in bend you get skeletons, girls with hair, funny faces, fish and more. Quite entertaining!
I think it'd be fun to hold a contest, showing photos of the various little biker guys. Whoever can give the exact locations of each wins a prize, maybe a new bike or something. It'd promote commuting or at least riding all over town. Somebody call Commute Options!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one more time

I got invited for the interview in Bend so I'm here for a few days. I'll be shot by some for putting this on the internets [sic] for all to see, but I don't see why everyone doesn't want to live here. Benders really have it good, and I hope to join you.

Thanks to all for responding.

Jeff

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Rock Punk said:
I got invited for the interview in Bend so I'm here for a few days. I'll be shot by some for putting this on the internets [sic] for all to see, but I don't see why everyone doesn't want to live here. Benders really have it good, and I hope to join you.

Thanks to all for responding.

Jeff
Awesome. Have you had a chance to explore around a bit? May I ask where you interviewed?

·
crash and burn at 45
250 Posts
i might have the opportunity to move to bend as well.

I am a pure mtn biker, do road rides (rarely) when the weather is poor.

my question is on location. Is Bend the best location to be "closest" to the bulk of the trails?
What about Sunriver and Redmond?

Currently I am in Denver area.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
drydirtrider said:

my question is on location. Is Bend the best location to be "closest" to the bulk of the trails?

Sunriver and Redmond are not considered "close" to Bend. Plus the most concentrated trail networks are best accessed from Bend.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Whew, just back from 3 weeks in South Africa - of course it doesn't snow the entire time I am gone and everyone has had a chance to go riding, but now it is snowing again... good think I like the snow as well!

Yes, Sunriver, Sisters and other towns outside Bend are not really close to the trails. I live on the East side of Bend and I am not even close to the trails. Living in Bend, and on the Westside is how you can be close to the trails, although having a vehicle can always get you there as well.

Bend is a wonderful place to live, but you do need to work. Knowing you are moving here with a job is the ticket, so I wish you luck! And then let us know if you need any advice on where to live, I am guessing all of locals will be able to tell you the same thing: Westside!

·
crash and burn at 45
250 Posts
i have a job (my own buisiness), i barely work from home. Wife works from home as well, but that might change. I have checked a few of the mtb web sites with trails, a short drive is no problem and especially if i can be less than an hour from Bachelor for the winter. I take it there is riding almost year round at some trailheads?

I have riden in Bend before, it was tits. Super tour from a bend local, from swampy lakes back to town, hitting all kinds of goodness. I know the riding will be great, its the logistics of moving, etc that are killer. Talking with the wife, we are now set on the town of Bend, we don't want to settle for second best. Affording a house will be a different story, hopefully 300k or less.

anyone who wants to drop some good local knowlege gets mega karma points and free ski tunes when i get to town. We have a 14month old, so schools will be a consideration as well. Is the westside more expensive than the east? I am assuming it is, closer to the river, closer to the mtns.

good places to live?
areas to avoid, if any?

i might be out to visit in the spring and then move after we sell here in denver, keep your eye out for the torquoise 575 ;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Westside is more expensive than the East and I would not expect to find anything under $300k. I live on the Eastside and it is not bad, but just expect any friends you have who live on the Westside to never want to come visit. SouthEast Bend is a no-no in my book, the traffic around there is worse and the area is more spread out and not as nice. NorthEast Bend is a good place to live and you can find housing in your pricerange close to town and shopping.
I don't have kids, so I don't have any ideas about that at all!! There are five million real estate agents in town and to cut through all the clutter I would recommend: http://www.bendoregonrealestateexpert.com/ It is father/son team who have lived here for years and between the two of them are very educated. We are planning on selling our house on the eastside and moving to the west, and they are our agents. They can answer any questions about kids, schools and moving. Let them know Melanie from Cog Wild gave you their info.
When you get here in July through September twice a week we offer locals shuttles from a local brewery up to Swampy Snopark and higher to Dutchman Flat where you get a ride to the top and just ride yourself back to town. It is a great way to meet many locals as well as get in a great ride. ANother way is to get involved with COTA (cotamtb.org). Our website will have a forum soon and you can post that you are looking for riders, which there are hundreds of - it is never hard to make friends within the riding community here!!

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
drydirtrider said:

Sunriver has a couple of trails near it. The Deschutes River trail, and out near Vandevert Rd. (more moto than mtb), but not much else that I know of.

Redmond has nothing other than the airport and the Vietnamese restaurant.

The best option is to live on the westside of Bend if you can. You can ride to the trails within minutes.

·
crash and burn at 45
250 Posts
the COTA website was a huge help, hit that earlier today. As long as I can get into the playground, a short drive won't kill me. Those shuttles sound fantastic. If i hit up the real estate people, i'll let them know of the referal. thanks for the info, it has gotten us on target for Bend, instead of outside of Bend. It seems to be worth it to be closer to the fun.

mucho grassy-ass

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
drydirtrider said:
i have a job (my own buisiness), i barely work from home. Wife works from home as well, but that might change. I have checked a few of the mtb web sites with trails, a short drive is no problem and especially if i can be less than an hour from Bachelor for the winter. I take it there is riding almost year round at some trailheads?

I have riden in Bend before, it was tits. Super tour from a bend local, from swampy lakes back to town, hitting all kinds of goodness. I know the riding will be great, its the logistics of moving, etc that are killer. Talking with the wife, we are now set on the town of Bend, we don't want to settle for second best. Affording a house will be a different story, hopefully 300k or less.

anyone who wants to drop some good local knowlege gets mega karma points and free ski tunes when i get to town. We have a 14month old, so schools will be a consideration as well. Is the westside more expensive than the east? I am assuming it is, closer to the river, closer to the mtns.

good places to live?
areas to avoid, if any?

i might be out to visit in the spring and then move after we sell here in denver, keep your eye out for the torquoise 575 ;)
If you need daycare the thing to do IMMEDIATELY when you come visit is to get on the waiting list at Growing Tree Childrens' Center. It is by far the best daycare in town. BY FAR. People are usually on the list for months. In fact, you may want to call them right now to get info.

http://thegrowingtree.org/

Getting into the westside for under $300k is unlikely, unless you find a gem somewhere. Westside now runs more like $500K and up. The market is kind of stale now so it's becoming easier for buyers. Last year our neighborhood was pricing houses around $700K but I saw some new construction for $500k-$600k last week. Some smaller pre-owned houses in our neighborhood are lower, but still around $400k.

Bachy is around 30 minutes from anywhere in Bend (best snow I've ever seen was just today by the way, phewww! 13" dry, fluffy powder in the past 24 hours and still snowing. Going again tomorrow and Friday if my legs hold out).

You can ride year-'round if you really want to but I've just surrendered and gone into winter sports mode instead. Why fight it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts