Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
WOW, my very deepest sympathies to his family and friends. Being 4 years older than Ben this really hits a note, yesterday I was holding my niece and had a sever chest pain right in the centre - it didn't feel like a heart related issue, but it stopped me in my tracks and scared the hell out of me. I need to go visit my doc again and get a quick check-up. Menegitis scares the crap out of me as I know several people who have died because of it, it's so fast and I don't know how you contract it and as said you just most of the time feel "under the weather".

Ride on Ben......

·
mad scientist
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The last time we hung out...

Winter Ale Fest (PDX) in December. My wife and I worked the morning shift, and I gave him a buzz to invite him out for a few free beers (you get tokens for working and my wife wasn't giong to use hers).

Good times, free beer (good quality winter micro's), good freinds. Beervanna dude...

My favorite quote from Pinkbike was something about how he'd figure out how to load Linux onto your toaster if you asked him... Ben was definately a computer geek, it made me laugh, it was definately something I could see him making an interface to load it up. Over a few beers of course...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Goddammit.

KonaMan said:
Here's the full story from Pinkbike:

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=2501

Ben was a good friend of mine, Yoda sent me this link today. Needless to say, I was shocked. He's been up to North Shore, B.C. with me a few years back, great BBQ at ROTR's place. Jim C, K'endo, Craig H., Yoda, Pup, spideysgirl, and numerous others have ridden with him. Last two years with the Cannuck invasions to Hood river, snowboarding at Mt. Hood, brew festivals in PDX. All good times...

He loved biking, loved good beer, not much else to say... he's gone now and will be missed by many.

God dammit god dammit god dammit.

F ck.

Pup

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
My deepest heart felt sorrows.
Makes me want to find the friends that I have had recent "difficulties" with and give them a hug. Not to mention family and friends.

·
the bomb
531 Posts
my condolences

Please accept my condolences to all those who knew him, and are saddened by this loss.

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
650 Posts
Yikes! I started reading this thread with sadness but in an impersonal way since I did not know anyone called Ben Shelton. Looking at the pictures now, I realize that I did know him. I rode Boogieman with a guy, formerly from Upstate NY, named Ben on the North Shore a few years ago. He wasn't a guy I or anyone will soon forget. Now I feel truly sad. RIP Ben. D.

·
mad scientist
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
that was a great trip...

I did two days on Galbraith, rode with little b, Mellow, Andy, Jeff K, Jennifer, Ben, K'endo, Tim, Yoda, and a few others. Headed up to Tim's place, ate all his food, drank all his beer, bought more beer, drank that too... oh yeah, and we rode. Two runs. Arthur Chan, Craig H, Jim C, and a plethora of others. Rebuilding Matt's bike (twice), K'endo doing bunny hops on the inflatable couch...

The ride photo is from McKenzie River Trail, 3 years ago I believe for Memorial Day weekend with the Fat Tire Farm crew.

Attachments

·
Dazed and Confused
304 Posts
Meningococcal warning went out today

No matter how many times it's been said, nothing sums it up better than "That sucks." Ben was a good guy.

Wouldn't you know it. Today Vancouver got a public health warning about people getting memingitis from sharing joints. 5 people got it and 2 died.
http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=bc_pot-saliva20050407

I had no idea it could be spread by the saliva on a doobie. Water bottles too! How did I live this long?

·
The former Blue 'Goose
299 Posts
My condolences......

Very sorry to hear it. Someone who dies so young. And he was into linux and
mountain biking too, a very interesting person whose story ended prematurely.

Think I'll hop on the dual boinger this evening to ponder this.

·
Yummy
1,262 Posts
Hey Craig,

Can you email me your photos above in full size (no compression)?

Thx,

Kn.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
They are off of AlanB's & Konaman's photo sites. I'll email you the links where you can grab them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My condolences...

And thank you for sharing this with us. When someone like Ben leaves us, their passing should never go unnoticed.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I knew Ben. He visited us in Stockholm, Sweden when we arranged the first freeride-festival here in 2001. He was a good guy and helped me immensely when i bought a used Dare from Oregon. We talked daily sometimes and monthly other times on ICQ. He was always friendly and mature but still was close to the child within.

A couple of pics from our Frost-chill 2001:

http://kanyl.com/frost/features/chill/benclose.htm

http://kanyl.com/frost/features/chill/mangeoben.htm

He will be sorely missed, my condoleances to family, friends, associates.

Erol Orhun, Stockholm, Sweden

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
I was thinking about Ben today and realized it was just over a year ago that he passed away.

RIP Ben.

·
Stray Bullet
2,273 Posts
Very sad to hear. Very scary considering I had a very bad Staph infection and could have lost my leg. Pictures to follow tonight...

RIP

21 - 37 of 37 Posts