Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy just got a brand new Spot SS with the belt.

The belt is making a snapping noise when climbing steep stuff and applying lots of torque (powerful 200lbs guy).

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

At first we thought it was skipping, but it is hard to imagine that.

The belt seams to have adequate tension (can push it down about 1/2 inch).

I am thinking the side of the belt is maybe just catching the built-in guard under load and eventually "snaps" into the grove.

Any ideas? I thought of maybe applying some lube on the side of the belt (e.g. dry soap bar), but we are worried about messing up with it.

Thanks!

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
Ok.

The belt is not tensioned correctly.

The belt is not tensioned correctly, tighten the belt correctly.

The belt is skipping over the small cog.

The belt is too loose.

Not likely.

Do NOT!

You are welcome!

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
If the snapping noise is like KLAAAAK! then it could be that the chainstay is flexing sideways. The grooves on the belt are then no longer parallel to the cog and the belt rides up.

I have had a similar issue on a belt drive bike I have.

If more tension on the belt doesn't fix the problem then it is almost certainly flex.

The fix is to run a fixed tensioner pulley about 1 mm above the belt surface at 7 o'clock on the cog. This stops the belt riding up.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
The belt needs to be real tight, or else it will skip. If the wheel is misaligned from perfectly perpendicular to the forward plane, it will ride off the cog(assuming wheel is skewed to the right). The newer cogs have a plate to cover the exposed side of the cog, so it should prevent any riding off of the belt. I don't have this plate, so I'm going by theory.
It doesn't take much to make the belt skip, and I'm only 155lbs.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
rensho said:
The newer cogs have a plate to cover the exposed side of the cog, so it should prevent any riding off of the belt. I don't have this plate, so I'm going by theory.
The guide is useless once the belt has the correct tension and aligned correctly.

Motzart gtfo :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.