Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a number of SS bikes with a little bell. My Fisher Rig came with a bell on it (stock). I've been tempted to take it off, but I feel like this is a cultural thing.

Do you single speeders have a bell on your bike?

For cultural reasons or do you really use it?

pointless thread I know....but i have to ask.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,363 Posts
I wouldn't consider owning a singlespeed without a bell. A bell is a friendly, happy doodad as well as kind of a traditional SS icon.

Yes, I actually ring my bell. Please don't tell anybody. :gasp:

--Sparty

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You MUST have one to SS...But only to annoy the buddies on the trail, well that and I hear that mountain kitties think they make great dinner bells.

Joking aside, I think it becomes a great tool on a quite ride.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
pahearn said:
Smart riders, SS or not, use bells on populated trails. I've never heard of bells being a cultural token of SSing, although we are pretty damed quiet so that would make sense!
Yep -- no chainslap to warn people that you are coming down the trail.

Plus I get tired of verbally letting geared riders know that they are holding up traffic on the uphills.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I sport one of these: This silly electronic bell says "Sumi-masen"("excuse me") in a little girl voice when you push one button.

It cracks me up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Don't Threaten the Slow Pokes!

I have one and use it because it gets a friendlier response than "GET OUT OF MY F*****ING WAY!". I primarily use it on crowded trails and at places like Mammoth Mountain (on a VP Free) where I am trying to get around a lot of hikers or slower riders.

It gets popular with SS's probably because they are more concerned about everyone having as a great a time as them and they can't slow down on the climbs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
MudInMyEars said:
I sport one of these: This silly electronic bell says "Sumi-masen"("excuse me") in a little girl voice when you push one button.

It cracks me up.
Does it say "Gomen-nasai" for when you clip a hiker or knock someone's grocheries out of their hands? :D

I have one because of the super crouded japanese streets I commute on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i was told by a bike shop that all new bikes have to have a bell fitted - its EU law or something. Is that true?

whatever the answer, negative to bell. It's a bit like leaving the reflectors on the wheels of a mountain bike. :D

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Pudgerboy said:
i was told by a bike shop that all new bikes have to have a bell fitted - its EU law or something. Is that true?

whatever the answer, negative to bell. It's a bit like leaving the reflectors on the wheels of a mountain bike. :D
I don't know about EU level, but in Germany they are mandatory...... same as lights..though it is hardly enforced....

I remove the reflectors... but the bell is actually quite handy, cheap and small....people get out of the way without weird interactions/looks :D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Pudgerboy said:
Actually it is part of the "Code" to have a bell on the SS...:yesnod:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.