Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Blanchard Mountain has great trails. You can hit that from the Alger exit off of I5 or from Chuckanut drive. Some fun climbs and tech descents. Also, Chuckanut mt. has trails, but I haven't ridden there.

A bit further from B'ham are the Anacortes Community Forest Land trails. You can start at Whistler lake and there are several kick arse loops. There are also trails around Heart Lake and Cranberry lake.....lots of options in Anacortes.

Chers,
EB

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I am not from B'ham but there are a couple of real popular trails that are also fairly easy. The first one would be the Interubran Trail from Fairhaven out to Chuckanut and Larrabee State Park and the trail-roads up Chuckanut Ridge. The other trail in the Padden Mountain bike trail at Padden Park. I think its about 4 miles-mostly single track but some pretty decent technical spots. If 4 miles isnt enough just keep going around till your tired. A nice skill builder and its close in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anderson Mt too...

it's on the other side of I-5 from Blanchard and has a logging road/Pac NW Trail loop.

Use caution at some of these trailheads, seems to be a rash of car prowls going on in Whatcom and Skagit counties over the last month.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions... I think I decided the 2 trails that I'm going to start off with since I'm just getting back into riding (pending aquisition of my new bike in the comming week).

I totally forgot about arroyo park. I did some day hiking through there and over chuckanut ridge. Some pretty cool trails up therre and some neat fire-roads too, but for some reason I thought that whole thing was closed off to bikers until I saw a clip on BTV 10 (yeah, gov't access, hehe... for shame). They had the president of the WHIMP's do a short thing on the arroyo park trail... so apparantly its not, maybe its just the fragrance lake loop that is closed off.

So... Arroyo park it is... and probably the padden loop/padden ridge before I move on over to galbraith or blanchard or anywhere else

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello,

My parents just moved to Anacortes and are building a house not far from Heart Lake. I will probably spend some time up there this summer and was wondering what trails you would recommend. I have and old John Zilly book that has some of the trails in it but they look fairly easy. I thought that maybe if I could get some advice from someone who has ridden the trail system i could cut out allot of exploring of the mellow stuff.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mark747 said:
Hello,

My parents just moved to Anacortes and are building a house not far from Heart Lake. I will probably spend some time up there this summer and was wondering what trails you would recommend. I have and old John Zilly book that has some of the trails in it but they look fairly easy. I thought that maybe if I could get some advice from someone who has ridden the trail system i could cut out allot of exploring of the mellow stuff.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark, galbraith mt is a nationally recognized maze of mountain bike trails... with all sorts of levels of difficulty... there's almost 100 trails up there and they are constantly maintained by the WHIMPs. It's near lake padden, just a little further on samish way coming from bellingham.

Arroyo park/chukanut ridge isn't bad either... lots of hikers so be careful.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Knutsen said:
Mark, galbraith mt is a nationally recognized maze of mountain bike trails... with all sorts of levels of difficulty... there's almost 100 trails up there and they are constantly maintained by the WHIMPs. It's near lake padden, just a little further on samish way coming from bellingham.

Arroyo park/chukanut ridge isn't bad either... lots of hikers so be careful.
Galbraith has been on my list for a while and will be checking those trails for sure. I was up in Anacortes for Christmas and did a little exploring with the folks... the Anacortes Community Forest trails start right out there back door so I thought that if I was going up to do Galbraith I could pedal around there house too but wanted to get some info first so I could cut out the easiest of the trails.

Mark

·
Registered
189 Posts
Knutsen said:
Thanks for the suggestions... I think I decided the 2 trails that I'm going to start off with since I'm just getting back into riding (pending aquisition of my new bike in the comming week).

I totally forgot about arroyo park. I did some day hiking through there and over chuckanut ridge. Some pretty cool trails up therre and some neat fire-roads too, but for some reason I thought that whole thing was closed off to bikers until I saw a clip on BTV 10 (yeah, gov't access, hehe... for shame). They had the president of the WHIMP's do a short thing on the arroyo park trail... so apparantly its not, maybe its just the fragrance lake loop that is closed off.

So... Arroyo park it is... and probably the padden loop/padden ridge before I move on over to galbraith or blanchard or anywhere else
Sounds like you are looking for easier trails first off.

Padden and Chuckanut are much more difficult for newbies than gablraith. If I were you I'd just ride up the ridge trail on galbraith to start out. Padden is very technical with some killer climbing and Chuckanut has the most brutal climbing in town. The climbs on Galbraith are easier and the trails there are designed for mountain bikes. Padden is a good mountain bike trail but very challenging for newbies and Chuckanut is basically hiking trails that suck to ride on (they're either too technical and you'll be walking the whole trail or they're just smooth foot paths).

·
Registered
89 Posts
turdburgle said:
Sounds like you are looking for easier trails first off.

Padden and Chuckanut are much more difficult for newbies than gablraith. If I were you I'd just ride up the ridge trail on galbraith to start out. Padden is very technical with some killer climbing and Chuckanut has the most brutal climbing in town. The climbs on Galbraith are easier and the trails there are designed for mountain bikes. Padden is a good mountain bike trail but very challenging for newbies and Chuckanut is basically hiking trails that suck to ride on (they're either too technical and you'll be walking the whole trail or they're just smooth foot paths).
If I am going to drive all the way up there from the big city I had heard that Galbraith was the place to go. But if Chuckanut and padden are harder i guess i'll try those first.

The only reason I am asking about Anacortes is just to have something to do out the back door so to speak. Judging from the John Zilly book and some of the websites it seems that the Anacortes Forest Land is fairly flat.

As far as trails for "newbie's" do you mean for people who have never been up there or someone who just started ridding a bike?

Thanks,
Mark

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
mark747 said:
If I am going to drive all the way up there from the big city I had heard that Galbraith was the place to go. But if Chuckanut and padden are harder i guess i'll try those first.

The only reason I am asking about Anacortes is just to have something to do out the back door so to speak. Judging from the John Zilly book and some of the websites it seems that the Anacortes Forest Land is fairly flat.

As far as trails for "newbie's" do you mean for people who have never been up there or someone who just started ridding a bike?

Thanks,
Mark
If you have that access to the ACFL (Anacortes Community Forest Lands) I'd check that out, it's far from flat. Granted there aren't any really big climbs, but you'll be going up and down and up and down and up and....

There is a good map or set of maps available, I bought one at the bookstore in "downtown" Anacortes, a couple blocks north of the new arch near Safeway, down Commercial. I've heard that the little store on Commercial just south of where the main hiway intersects Commercial has them too. The map will help you put together a nice loop, or just navigate around and not get too turned around. ACFL begs to be hammered, lots of short climbs and quick little dh sections. Watch for hikers and horses. There are some trails open to motorcycles too.

If you want more techie stuff, some bridges, logs, etc. then Galbraith is probably were to go. ACFL is definitely worth hitting though.

Monte

·
Registered
89 Posts
Monte said:
If you have that access to the ACFL (Anacortes Community Forest Lands) I'd check that out, it's far from flat. Granted there aren't any really big climbs, but you'll be going up and down and up and down and up and....

There is a good map or set of maps available, I bought one at the bookstore in "downtown" Anacortes, a couple blocks north of the new arch near Safeway, down Commercial. I've heard that the little store on Commercial just south of where the main hiway intersects Commercial has them too. The map will help you put together a nice loop, or just navigate around and not get too turned around. ACFL begs to be hammered, lots of short climbs and quick little dh sections. Watch for hikers and horses. There are some trails open to motorcycles too.

If you want more techie stuff, some bridges, logs, etc. then Galbraith is probably were to go. ACFL is definitely worth hitting though.

Monte
Thanks Monte,

The lot my parents are building on buts up against the ACFL and I was talking to my dad the other day and he bought the maps from City Hall. I have always wanted to go to Galbraith and the other areas around Bellingham just never got around to doing the drive. Even though it's what about an hour and a half? I'll drive 3 hours to do Devil's Gulch but just never got around to go up north for the day and explore.

It sounds like the ACFL would be perfect for getting a ride from my folk's house before heading home.

Thanks again for the info.

Mark

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
mark747 said:
Thanks Monte,

The lot my parents are building on buts up against the ACFL and I was talking to my dad the other day and he bought the maps from City Hall. I have always wanted to go to Galbraith and the other areas around Bellingham just never got around to doing the drive. Even though it's what about an hour and a half? I'll drive 3 hours to do Devil's Gulch but just never got around to go up north for the day and explore.

It sounds like the ACFL would be perfect for getting a ride from my folk's house before heading home.

Thanks again for the info.

Mark
1 hour Bellingham - Anacortes. Enjoy.

Monte

1 - 14 of 14 Posts