Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My names Josh and I'm going to be heading up to college at WWU in Bellingham in about a month. I was just wondering what the trails are like up there. Galbraith looks to be only a couple miles from my school.
I have a Specialized BigHit that works great on the DH trails here in Hawaii, will I be able to get as much fun with it up in WA?
Thanks for anything you guys can tell me!

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I'm going to say no. There is no shuttling. The galbraith trails are geared toward a Nomad or a Covert or Bottle Rocket. You'll be able to ride from campus to the trails, up, down, and back with something like that. Driving to the trail is lame, don't do it. You probably won't have a car anyway.

·
Registered
106 Posts
North Shore and Whistler are a short drive. Seattle area trails are a short drive.

Galby is about 9 miles from WWU, like halfway between WWU and Sudden Valley. You can take a Bus to pretty much the beginning of Galby (512 takes you to Birch, which is right there)

You're bike may be a bit heavy, but if you're comfortable on it, you'll have fun. Wold class riding is within the city limits (admittedly... more XC/AM in B'ham proper) and NS and Whistler are, as stated, close as hell.

You'll like it here.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Selftest said:
North Shore and Whistler are a short drive. Seattle area trails are a short drive.

Galby is about 9 miles from WWU, like halfway between WWU and Sudden Valley. You can take a Bus to pretty much the beginning of Galby (512 takes you to Birch, which is right there)

You're bike may be a bit heavy, but if you're comfortable on it, you'll have fun. Wold class riding is within the city limits (admittedly... more XC/AM in B'ham proper) and NS and Whistler are, as stated, close as hell.

You'll like it here.
Where is the riding in the city limits? I guess Lake Padden?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Galbraith is technically within the city limits...

Lake Padden has trails, there are tons of foot/bike paths (Interurban, Cornwall Park, Railroad, Boulevard, etc)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate them.
How is commuting around town? Does Bellingham have a good bike infrastructure or what.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Selftest said:
Galbraith is technically within the city limits...

Lake Padden has trails, there are tons of foot/bike paths (Interurban, Cornwall Park, Railroad, Boulevard, etc)
Galbraith is technically in the County and zoned Commercial Forestry. It is not in the city (not that it matters).

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
gticlay said:
Galbraith is technically in the County and zoned Commercial Forestry. It is not in the city (not that it matters).
Clay's "technically" right although the city limits get damn close in a couple of spots.

Josh,

There are some trails that are more worthy of the big hit in the area than Galbraith, but that's a good place to start. If you like to throw dirt, you'll learn of them much easier than most.

Cheers,
EB

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 'Ham is very very very bike friendly. You can ride anywhere. Literally. There may be some paths/trails that are "hike only," but I haven't seen any in the city limits.

For instance (none of these locations may mean anything to you, but when you get here, you'll figure it out): I rode from Whatcom Falls to Fairhaven and back the other day. This includes a trip through DT Bellingham, along the sound, to our little downtown of Fairhaven.

To clarify (and simplify) almost every major street has a bike lane, and those that don't, take a lane. Drivers are almost always friendly and courteous, it's a bike culture city. You can lock a bike in a million different places. There are.... 3? LBS in the area... Fanatik, Kulshan, and Drop N Zone. Then I think there is Jack's Bikes and Communtiy Bike Shop, but I haven't been to those. Breakdown? Kulshan is XC/Commuter oriented, for the most part. Trek/GF/Redline/Rocky Mountain/ Surly dealer. Fanatik is the AM/DH place, from what I gather.

If you like bikes, B'Ham is good.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Selftest said:
The 'Ham is very very very bike friendly. You can ride anywhere. Literally. There may be some paths/trails that are "hike only," but I haven't seen any in the city limits.

For instance (none of these locations may mean anything to you, but when you get here, you'll figure it out): I rode from Whatcom Falls to Fairhaven and back the other day. This includes a trip through DT Bellingham, along the sound, to our little downtown of Fairhaven.

To clarify (and simplify) almost every major street has a bike lane, and those that don't, take a lane. Drivers are almost always friendly and courteous, it's a bike culture city. You can lock a bike in a million different places. There are.... 3? LBS in the area... Fanatik, Kulshan, and Drop N Zone. Then I think there is Jack's Bikes and Communtiy Bike Shop, but I haven't been to those. Breakdown? Kulshan is XC/Commuter oriented, for the most part. Trek/GF/Redline/Rocky Mountain/ Surly dealer. Fanatik is the AM/DH place, from what I gather.

If you like bikes, B'Ham is good.
Don't forget about EARLS BIKE SHOP on Meridian across the street from the Haggen :) Also Fairhaven Bikes if you want a Specialized and there's a WWU shop too unless that's what you meant by community... then I'd have to say don't forget about that weird one sort of by DNZ that's facing the interurban with all the strange rusty bike parts out front :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm currently going to WWU right now as well. Not huge into the DH thing but I do like a nice AM/XC day. I do miss Duthie but I get to go back on weekends. Let me know if you want to go out for a ride, I have a few friends that can show you some of the secret spots... but make sure you have good medical, campus resources does not mend broken bones... HAHA :D

·
dude
407 Posts
I've seen plenty of guys push DH and FR bikes like your bighit on Galby the few times I've made it up there. Maybe not ideal, since there's no lift or shuttle, but you'll have tons of fun.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am also thinking about WWU. is there year round riding? how does rain effect the trails? I am used to boise, id clay that is impossible to ride through in the slightest bit of moisture...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Most galby trails drain well, give it a day after a heavy rain and your golden. There is no ridiculous clay, you can ride year round, obviously its wetter in the winter and there is sometimes snow, but not too much.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
It's a real sandy dirt. Back in the rim brake days you could wear through 3+ time a year. Bearings still take a beating and thank goodness for disc brakes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts