Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Keyboard Warrior
183 Posts
Bell Super DH Saris Top of the World.jpg

Bell invited MTBR upto Whistler to ride some preproduction samples with the engineering team. Just submitted my first look/ride review to the editor man. I'll post a link when it's live. It's a rad helmet.

·
Registered
989 Posts
When riding up to do our local DH, it was either suffer in the tropical heat sloggin up in full face helmet, ride up no helmet and carry the full face, ride with two helmets or one of these "fake" DH helmets. I love them. Saved my face from scratches last week. Granted it was mild crash, only surface scratches and bark, but i am glad i had it. Looking fotward to this new helmet, looks like it might be my next one!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not seeing much of an improvement.. but maybe that's just me? Seems fairly similar to the Leatt, though I still like Leatt's face anchor a lot better. Also unless they adjust the large size, it won't fit on my head without an XL option. Bell always runs crazy small..

As for "Real DH helmet", if you're riding "Real DH", you'll be shuttling or running a lift and it won't matter. For the rest of us that ride 20-30 mile trails with a mix of XC to "holy crap that's a trail?", convertibles are great. Even a full face that'll take an impact then brake is better than no helmet, or sporting a XC/Trail lid when you could have picked one of these up for the occasion that you do need it.

Take that as you will from someone that knocked six teeth backwards lol

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not seeing much of an improvement.. but maybe that's just me? Seems fairly similar to the Leatt, though I still like Leatt's face anchor a lot better. Also unless they adjust the large size, it won't fit on my head without an XL option. Bell always runs crazy small..

As for "Real DH helmet", if you're riding "Real DH", you'll be shuttling or running a lift and it won't matter. For the rest of us that ride 20-30 mile trails with a mix of XC to "holy crap that's a trail?", convertibles are great. Even a full face that'll take an impact then brake is better than no helmet, or sporting a XC/Trail lid when you could have picked one of these up for the occasion that you do need it.

Completely agree. The place for a convertible is where the alternative is a half shell. If you're riding true DH, get a DH helmet and move along. Nothing to see here.

Anyways, improvements....the two biggest I see.

1. MIPS Spherical. Huge improvement I think and it's two fold. It provides a dual density type of construction, good for both low and high speed hits. Love it! Secondly, it gets rid of the regular MIPS slip plane and instead has this ball in socket type of connection. This is my own speculation but I think this will make the helmet "stay put" better during tumbling wrecks. I've had my MIPS Super 2 basically rotate off my head before.

2. The apparent beefing up of the chinbar. I guess I haven't read abt the Super 2R chinbar breaking, but it definitely is flexy. I think this (and getting DH and BMX certd) is a positive change.

Then little stuff like the fidlock, which I got to check out last week in person and it's awesome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,895 Posts

I guess you have never raced Enduro. A lot of the park stages are on "real dh" along with a few thousand feet of climbing. Helmets are mandatory often with no place to swap. I think the Fox proframe is probably the best compromise out there but I still prefer a "real" helmet. I've had a rampage pro carbon that had good ventilation. Just retired that from a crash and now have a 100% aircraft but haven't gotten to use it yet. I guess I've never wanted a full face on anything that wasn't a real DH trail either though.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nearest thing to "downhil"l in the area https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6571533/lake-leatherwood We don't have "Parks". We have huge wildernesses with zero cell coverage and 20 mile hikes to roads.

Still have tons of enduro races, almost all of which have racers with two piece helmets or non-full face. You won't survive long in this heat and humidity otherwise. I mostly sell Bells with a mixture of Giro Switchblades. Kodiak Tough — If you're curious.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
Or you just ride a well ventilated, light ASTM 1952 certified helmet and not have to deal with removing/putting on a chin bar.

MET Parachute or Fox Proframe.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why does every thread about a convertible full face spiral down this hate trail. If you don't see the merit in these helmets, move on. For a lot of people, they will either wear a half shell or a convertible full face. More protection is better than less. Move on peeps!

Overall, lots of good reviews popping up about this helmet. Can't wait to pre-order.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Why does every thread about a convertible full face spiral down this hate trail. If you don't see the merit in these helmets, move on. For a lot of people, they will either wear a half shell or a convertible full face. More protection is better than less. Move on peeps!

Overall, lots of good reviews popping up about this helmet. Can't wait to pre-order.
Hmmm.. why even post to a public forum then if you aren't looking for opinions? Why not move on over posts like mine if you're so confident in your solution?

I've seen a few of these convertible helmets break (switchblade and bell super). Including the older bell that my wife owned. They're a solution for someone pretending they need/want a full face, who are probably the people who would benefit from a real full face the most. Then when they land on their face it snaps off and they still break their teeth. Just my opinion of course... on a public forum designed to share opinions and ideas. ;)

You're serious when you say "there's lots of positive reviews of this helmet" too? Paid reviews since it isn't even available yet you mean.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm.. why even post to a public forum then if you aren't looking for opinions? Why not move on over posts like mine if you're so confident in your solution?

I've seen a few of these convertible helmets break (switchblade and bell super). Including the older bell that my wife owned. They're a solution for someone pretending they need/want a full face, who are probably the people who would benefit from a real full face the most. Then when they land on their face it snaps off and they still break their teeth. Just my opinion of course... on a public forum designed to share opinions and ideas. ;)

You're serious when you say "there's lots of positive reviews of this helmet" too? Paid reviews since it isn't even available yet you mean.
Right on man. Moving along. My bad.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts

Why does someone pointing something or disagreeing out equal hate?

·
Registered
989 Posts
When i shuttle our "fake" DH trail (which way back was once used as a World Cup DH trail) i do use a full face. But our after work session we "earn or turns" and climb the road. Our whole crew has switched to convertables. Heck Of a lot more comfortable. Granted none of us have crashed big time to vouch for their effectiveness. Like i mentioned, i did crash a week ago, only enough to scratch visor and pick bits of tree bark out of the chinbar buckle. So id say it did at least save my face from getting scratched.

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
When i shuttle our "fake" DH trail (which way back was once used as a World Cup DH trail) i do use a full face. But our after work session we "earn or turns" and climb the road. Our whole crew has switched to convertables. Heck Of a lot more comfortable. Granted none of us have crashed big time to vouch for their effectiveness. Like i mentioned, i did crash a week ago, only enough to scratch visor and pick bits of tree bark out of the chinbar buckle. So id say it did at least save my face from getting scratched.
When you say a heck of a lot more comfortable, have you ridden in a Parachute or Proframe?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts