Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 452 Posts

·
I quit e-MTBR
1,242 Posts
I'm not sure why you think I might not believe this, when I bothered 2x to mention mouthguards?
Uh ... the reason I thought you might not believe that is because you said you couldn't justify spending money to reduce concussion risk until you get one.

Like I said, suit yourself, I'm not telling you what to do or trying win the internet today.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,241 Posts
The research is also showing that it's not always just one big concussion that screws you for life, the damage is cumulative, so a lot of small ones are still bad for you.
I don't think it's possible to play soccer without suffering at least a few small concussions. I know I had a couple small ones from soccer, and at least one from a bike crash in the 80's when I was a kid with no helmet. Probably more that would require imaging to detect.

A mouthguard is an interesting thought. Not sure how much one would impede breathing, as I've never used one. Seems to me that to get the same airflow, you'd have to open your mouth more. I don't use my mouth all the time, but when I go anaerobic and am really pushing it, I'm mouth breathing for sure.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Uh ... the reason I thought you might not believe that is because you said you couldn't justify spending money to reduce concussion risk until you get one.
It's actually the hassle of wearing the extra gear, not the money. I've got a ton of pads used for lift service, but certainly don't wear it on XC trails.

I know the counterpoint - and it's valid:
A MIPS helmet isn't any different than a regular helmet, assuming it fits comfortably, and wearing a mouthguard isn't really an issue either once you get used to it.

In the context of this thread, I didn't get MIPS Super 2R because I didn't think I needed it (which I freely admit is absurd), and I didn't want to wait for the MIPS version to be in stock, and I tried on the standard and MIPS versions of a POC helmet last year and the MIPS version didn't fit the same.

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Used two c clamps to compress part of the rubber pads overnight and went for a ride this morning. Pressure points on sides still existed but they are not unbearable. Think I'll be ok with the fit after more wear.
You took them out to do this c-clamp compression?

·
Registered
92 Posts
No I left them in while doing so. Still need a bit more so now inserting things to expand near ear area. Will see in next couple days. I'll take out rubber pads if pressure points can't be completely removed.

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I'm trying to envision how you can compress the pads with a c-clamp without compressing the EPS liner at those points and rendering it useless?

·
beater
5,901 Posts
The research is also showing that it's not always just one big concussion that screws you for life, the damage is cumulative, so a lot of small ones are still bad for you.
Yup. This is what the NFL continues to ignore - the fact that the effect of repetitive subconcussive blows to the head is what's really implicated in the studies of brain trauma. Not the attention-grabbing hits, but what lineman do on every down. And that's the problem for them, and why they praise themselves for focusing on the big hits.

·
I quit e-MTBR
1,242 Posts
I would not be surprised if something like the Dainese motorcycle airbag ends up being the solution. A chest-mounted MTB airbag that protects the head along with the torso. (And you thought mountain-biking was expensive now ...)

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would not be surprised if something like the Dainese motorcycle airbag ends up being the solution. A chest-mounted MTB airbag that protects the head along with the torso. (And you thought mountain-biking was expensive now ...)
LOL, if you wear full gear with all that airbag technology, at least speaking for myself, I won't be able to get up off the ground with some help. I'd be like the Michelin Man.

My Bell Super 2R Helmet of Thorns arrives tonight. I'll take pictures if blood starts to run down my forehead when I try it on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm trying to envision how you can compress the pads with a c-clamp without compressing the EPS liner at those points and rendering it useless?
The rubber pads are lot more compliant than EPS form so the latter is not deformed. But my new method is to have something between left and right pads to compress them. After leaving it so for almost two days, it's all good now. The pressure points are gone and fitting to my noggin is perfect. It's a keeper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Greetings, community!
Want to get one 2R for myselm, just not shure, as Hamlet says - to mips or not to mips!? :)
Also one more thing - is 2R mips and no mips versions in red the same red? Or different from eachother?

·
Registered
805 Posts
My Medium Mips fits great. I feel no discomfort from those pesky side pads/rubber piece. Left it on watching Office Space last night. Only complaint I have is drinking a beer and eating wings while in full face protection mode sucks. Oh yeah, laughing ain't the same with cheek pads pressing against your face either.

I'll report back in after a ride or two.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Personally MIPS made sense to me since it was just $20 more. (if it had been $$, no way).

The red mips has a lot of orange in it.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,241 Posts
the red is the same between the two. My shop has a red one, and it's a kinda pale red. I don't like it. Which is why I got a white one.

As for MIPS vs. without...up to you. I have no idea if they fit the same or not. My Super 2 MIPS fits narrow, and it sounds like non-mips also fits narrow. The MIPS system does creak a bit, so if that would annoy you a lot, it may not be worth the extra expense.

If I didn't have a huge coupon, I'd have just purchased the non-MIPS version.

·
beater
5,901 Posts
For $20, I would probably choose the MIPS version of the Super 2 if it fits.

When it comes to half-shell helmets, I'm skeptical that MIPS does much more than increase the price. I doubt that most half-shells stay in place enough during an impact that slippage within the MIPS construction provides any benefit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For me most importans is colour. I need more orange-red, to match my orange Spitty. :)
And mips version looks like the one i need. If nonmips is the same color - i'll take nonmips.

·
More Human Than Human
43 Posts
I was able to receive my Large MIPS black version of the Super 2R and it fit like a glove. Found it to be fairly light and comfortable. Will take it for a 3 hour ride this weekend on sunny and low 70s weather.

121 - 140 of 452 Posts