Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Confusing title I know, but then again now I'm a bit confused myself or more like over loaded with info. I've recently been drifting over to the 29er forums and browsing around after the suggestion of a 29er Trance. Well I think that being a taller guy myself and being that 29ers are kind geared towards taller guys I think I might be very interested in getting one.

So far the one that has caught my eye is the NINE R.I.P.9 FS, I mean seriously the suspension looks kind of like Maestro and sounds like it performs likewise. They have it in silver or a blue that glows in the dark - how cool is that - and well it just looks really nice. Here's a pic below for reference and here's the homepage. Oh and you can check out the MTBR review of quite a few 29ers just put up.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Got a Trance and a 29er myself - its all good. Looking to keep the 29er as my XC bike and bump the Trance up to a Reign for all-mountain rides.

29er is definitely a great choice for a hardtail or single speed, especially if your tall.

The FS 29er market is still relatively pricey and underdeveloped, but is beginning to take its place as well.

·
Weekend Warrior
138 Posts
Lynx, I checked out your MTB homepage, and I've got to say, guys your height make normal MTBs (26 inch wheels) look like hotted up BMXs. If I was your height I'd definately be looking at a 29er, and that blue "niner" frame looks sweet. Just watch out you don't go fully rigid and single speed.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know during this mornings 50 miler I was thinking the same thing, would I strip and use what I could off the Trance just get a new fork and wheelset or get a complete new bike? :confused: I think it's still cost me at least $2,300 just for the new frame, fork and wheels - if I go cheap :eek: If by chance I manage to come into some good amount of cash before Leadville and I can afford it I may well strip the Trance, order the Frame, fork and wheels and then take up all the rest of the poarts with me and build it up there.
majura said:
Hmmm, it does look like a damn nice frame.

Would you strip the Trance for parts or build up a whole new rig?
Yeah, I guess we kinda do make those normal MTB's look kinda small and that's why I was thinking 29er.
kbryant said:
Lynx, I checked out your MTB homepage, and I've got to say, guys your height make normal MTBs (26 inch wheels) look like hotted up BMXs.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's a very nice looking bike. I'm not a fan of 29" wheels myself but for sure if you're of the giant breed (no not Giant Bicycle!) it certainly makes sense.

I guess painting the Trance idea is off the books now :)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well yeah I fall into that gangly/lanky/tall category, for you it'd be more than overkill :D

As to painting the Trance, that's not off the drawing board quite yet as I'm not able to afford this new bike, fork, wheels just yet - that's what I'll need minimum to be able to get a rideable bike and that's around $2,300 US.

energetix said:
It's a very nice looking bike. I'm not a fan of 29" wheels myself but for sure if you're of the giant breed (no not Giant Bicycle!) it certainly makes sense.

I guess painting the Trance idea is off the books now :)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you know I bet if I was to go to a doc and get analyzed they'd tell me I have A.D.D. I really do have trouble paying attention to something for long and I guess I've had the Trance for almost two years now (put enough miles on it that it has something like dog years to it-you know for every one of it's years it's like a normal bikes 2 or something :D) and even though I still have trails here I can't completely ride w/out dabbing or a walk I somehow seem to be getting bored. Don't get me wrong I love my Trance, but I'm pretty much the size/type of guy that 29ers were designed for.

energetix said:
I've noticed that you seem to really have an itch for a new bike, as much as it will be hard to get rid of your trance.

·
Girt by sea.
463 Posts
I knew I should not have suggested the 29er Trance ..... :) Maybe Giant should act now before they lose their best online Trance salesman!

Cheers,
Graeme

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I'm 6' 5" myself and you could label me "29er Curious" as well. You've picked the frame that has got me most curious too.

It's nice to see 29ers start to come into maturity, but I still think they have a ways to go. When it comes to forks and wheels, we're just now starting to see a choice instead of only one way to do it.

Gearing is an area that hasn't seen much of any specific develo[pment and I'm really looking for that as I'm not the fittest climber out there and most trails here are mountainous.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I'd prefer to let the genre age a bit before I throw money at it.

JMHO, but if you're one of those guys that change bikes like some change sneakers, more power to you. It's all good.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey I understand where you'r coming from as 29ers are really just in their infancy, however on the choices side it really isn't a huge deal for me since the main fork choice is already my FAV fork - REBA.

As for the gears I don't think it'll kill me to keep the same crankset on a 29er even for climbing, I'm pretty strong and have been training on a 25-12 road cassette so even when I'm in Granny/granny I'm still a couple gears heavier than if I was on a 34-11 MTB cassette.

I've attached a Gear Calc JPG to give you an idea of gear ratio increase.

jeffj said:
I'm 6' 5" myself and you could label me "29er Curious" as well. You've picked the frame that has got me most curious too.

It's nice to see 29ers start to come into maturity, but I still think they have a ways to go. When it comes to forks and wheels, we're just now starting to see a choice instead of only one way to do it.

Gearing is an area that hasn't seen much of any specific develo[pment and I'm really looking for that as I'm not the fittest climber out there and most trails here are mountainous.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I'd prefer to let the genre age a bit before I throw money at it.

JMHO, but if you're one of those guys that change bikes like some change sneakers, more power to you. It's all good.

Regards,
Jeff

Attachments

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
LyNx said:
Hey I understand where you'r coming from as 29ers are really just in their infancy, however on the choices side it really isn't a huge deal for me since the main fork choice is already my FAV fork - REBA.
The Reba 29 fork has been pretty key to helping the 29er movement gain momentum. Its a good value, 3 or 4 inches, remote variable lockout optional, low maintenance, aint that expensive, and aint that heavy. The main complaint is among clydes who complain about flex.

Regarding gears, I have stick legs, and don't have a problem. Usually I'm in the middle ring just blasting the momentum and stability thats inherent in the bike, over most everything. Slow grinding hills can be rough. The zealous 29er crowd would disown me, but I think its slightly inferior to a good 26" bike in this way, and immediate acceleration.

I find the 29er market developed enough for a general cross-country bike (rigid, hardtail, or a 3-4 inch FS bike). Prices have come down and part selection has grown. The parts selection needs improving, but should be enough to make most trail riders happy. And w/in a year, when you'll want a new fork, tires, etc., the market should be twice as good.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pushed !

Well I'm pretty much pushed on over to the 29er side of bikes, sorry GIANT you were too late to the 29er game and lost "your best online salesman" :D LOL

That's right I've 99.5% made up my mind to go for the R.I.P.9, just have to decide how I'm going to go about the build - will I try to use back old stuff of the Trance and order up quality parts to go with them, OR will I just order it w/ a complete build kit? I know for sure that no matter what the HOPE Mono Mini's will be going to the R.I.P.9, no question at all about that they are truly superb brakes. Decisions, decisions well I will be thinking on this now and pretty much decide in the next week or two.

The other thing is what to do with the Trance, do I sell it or keep it? If I sell it what would I ask someone to pay since I've really ridden the crap out of it in the just about 2 years I've had it? Definitely wouldn't be selling it with the XT drivetrain or HOPE's :confused:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You've ridden the crap out of your Trance, but don't forget that you have also kept it maintained very well - pivot bearings etc. Price wise I'm not sure what you could expect to get for it, here I've generally found that owners want something like 2/3 of what it cost new (depending on the condition) and that's for a complete bike. Frames is a hard one as they're not available here as a frame only brand new purchase option.

Ooooh looks like we've lost Lynx!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've decided what I'm going to do.......

.I'm going to get the frameset and a complete build kit and then depending on how the parts look/feel I may switch some of it to the Trance and out what I like off the Trance on the RIP9. Also think I've decided what Ano parts colour to go with - I think it will be gold parts..headset, seatclamp, skewers and they will match the gold end caps on the brakes.

Now for the waiting game - since the frames are so popular most are out of stock till March sometime. Can't wait for this new machine though, from everyones reports it sounds pretty much like a "hopped up" Trance, but maybe slightly better suspension :skep: but I'll make my own conclusions on that when I actually get to ride it. Also interested in seeing what a slightly bigger frame feels like - the RIP9 XL has a 1" longer TT and .8' wheelbase.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
should be an interesting ride, i did a ride out in LA and one of the ladies there had a loaner RIP9 from the niner guys. its a sweet bike, sadly i didn't get a chance to ride it since by the time i saw it, we were riding back to our cars

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
LyNx said:
Also think I've decided what Ano parts colour to go with - I think it will be gold parts..headset, seatclamp, skewers and they will match the gold end caps on the brakes.
Its personal taste, but gold would be my last choice whether on blue or silver frames. On the blue frame it will look like a Subaru! I'd personally put red or maybe blue on the silver frame. On the blue frame I'd go with silver (for a lighter, more playful and bouyant appearace) or black (for a more grim/stern/mean look). Regardless, NOTHING should compete with or distract that great blue - its the main attraction and needs no significant complement. Gray might work.

I don't know what a brake end cap is, but if its down near the hub, then gold skewers might be cool to make it look like a kit, but a gold post clamp and headset - I can't see it working.

Also, if your country's colors can't be matched exactly, it should not be attempted.

- my two cents

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's now Official

Well I "officially" joined the Niner Brotherhood yesterday afternoon around 3:15pm and then stayed up till 2am building my beautiful RIP9. Here it is with a few thoughts...............

...............Niner Bikes has done it right :thumbsup:, this bike is exactly what I was expecting - feels very similar to my Trance with the few tweaks/better feel it could use. When I hopped on it I felt right at home, like I had been riding it forever. I read a load of reviews about this bike and it all seemed to point to "A 29er version of the Trance" and I think I nailed it spot on by choosing this bike. I was really happy with my Trance, but there were a few things that needed doing to it - longer Top Tube, RP23 shock, bigger wheels (I'm a tall guy and 26" wheels look tiny under me). Only thing I did that I didn't want to do was switch brakes, but because of the chips on the pistons of my HOPE Mono Mini's they were giving trouble lately and sticking/dragging because the pistons weren't retracting properly, so I went with the Juicy 7's , but I plan on servicing the HOPEs and trying them against the Juicy's to see which I like better ( I think it'll be the HOPEs but I will wait and see)

I haven't had a chance to take it off-road on some proper stuff yet, but I can tell you that those who spew the rubbish that 29ers accelerate slow, don't do tight turns well and are heavy are so full of BS it isn't funny. This bike accelerates surprisingly fast, tight turns feel very stable and confident and weight wise this bike is actually lighter than my previous 26" Trance. Oh and let's not talk about how it climbs, stay where you point it etc,etc.

Anyhow just a little update for all of those interested, this will be my race bike for Leadville with the only acception being a lighter set of wheels if money allows, but if not these wheels are already lighter than what I'm accustomed too.

Build is as follows right now..........
- RIP9 XL Frame
- REBA SL Fork
- Aid Juicy 7's
- XT Rapid fire shifters & Drivetrain
- WTB Speed Disc wheels
- WTB Nano Raptor Tyres
- WTB Silverado saddle
- WTB TXC Seatpost
- Easton EA50 HB & 120mm Stem
- Ergon MAG R2 grips
- Shimano M520 pedals

Don't know if GIANT will come out with a 29er for '08, but I've heard no news of this as yet and by now you'd normally hear of any "big" news. SO for now I'll enjoy a superb suspension design, better fit and big wheels till Giant decides that 29ers are here to stay and a lot of people like them. Proper report to follow sometime next week after I've spent some good time on the RIP.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.