Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should i wear a full faced helmet when i go to ride these trails? I have never ridden these trails before, nor know wut they look like. I dont want to be over protected and look like a moron lol and such. But yeah, if there is some advanced stuff i wouldnt mind trying it.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Do not wear full helmet !

GinoLicious said:
Should i wear a full faced helmet when i go to ride these trails? I have never ridden these trails before, nor know wut they look like. I dont want to be over protected and look like a moron lol and such. But yeah, if there is some advanced stuff i wouldnt mind trying it.

No. You shouldn't wear full face helmet. It is intended for riders who want to do stunts on stunt bike. You want to do XC ride. You need open helmet. Full helmet gets hot very quickly. Trust me. You can get any Giro E2, or bell helmet which will be good enough for you. You don't need Giro Xen helmet because it isn't as good as the E2 due to fewer vents. The more vents the better. You have no idea how much it gets hot, humid during the ride. I sweat like crazy during ride in summer. Can you immagine wearing full helmet? It doens't have enough vents at all.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
GinoLicious said:
YES you should, if you're not comfortable with the trails you're going to ride but think you might try to do stuff you won't be able to handle/land/make. Better to sweat and look like an idiot if you know you're gona do idiotic things and don't get hurt, than to look like a stud and bash your face. Once you get better/confident you can switch to a normal biking helmet.

·
Reformed car junkie
194 Posts
Or...

or you could ride these new trails and not go full out so if you see something sketchy you can stop in time and check it out.
Is it a DH trail, then by all means go full face
XC i would say a traditional helmet. But its really about you in the end. full face and xc is gonna be hot, but probably a little safer.

my $.02

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally i have always liked the looks of a full faced helemet.. Call me crazy but yeah. I just want to know if im over dressed for these occasions lol.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,972 Posts
LyNx said:
YES you should, if you're not comfortable with the trails you're going to ride but think you might try to do stuff you won't be able to handle/land/make. Better to sweat and look like an idiot if you know you're gona do idiotic things and don't get hurt, than to look like a stud and bash your face. Once you get better/confident you can switch to a normal biking helmet.

wear a full face...if you are going at speeds and go over the bars a full face is the way to go.

Try a 661 Full Bravo...great ventilation (just like a Xc helmet and very light if you get carbon)

Can you say carbon

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
If it makes you feel safer, use it and who cares what other think of it! If you have one, try it, the worst that can happen is that you don't like it and you can go back to a 'standard' XC helmet. It doesn't matter if what you ride is or isn't technical, as long as you like it it's ok to use it.

Have fun!

·
Registered
776 Posts
No that's not the worst.

rzozaya1969 said:
If it makes you feel safer, use it and who cares what other think of it! If you have one, try it, the worst that can happen is that you don't like it and you can go back to a 'standard' XC helmet. It doesn't matter if what you ride is or isn't technical, as long as you like it it's ok to use it.

Have fun!
The worst is to go out there sweating and sweltering under an inappropriate helmet and taking it off to go bareheaded instead. Or get blinded by sweat and crash.

Best is to just wear a sensible helmet for the job.

Anyone needing a full face for anything resembling a normal trail has problems with bike handling, not an equipment problem.

Ron

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the first day i may wear it b/c i dont know wut these trails have to throw out me. I have no clue what htey are. How intense and such.

·
Bionic Mtn Biker
222 Posts
GinoLicious said:
Gino,

Why not ride the trails first at a slower, more cautious pace w/ your regular helmet just to get a feel for the terrain? I know it's tempting to try everything in one day, but the trails will always be there, and there's always tomorrow. Once you've done your preliminary scouting run, you can decide for yourself if there are some sections that warrant a full-face helmet and hit em next time. Just let common sense dictate your actions to avoid a trip to the ER.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
wear full face helmet on first day is ok

Hey Gino:

You can wear the full face helmet on your first day if it makes you less anxious. Once you are comfortable with the trail condition; you can switch to regular helmet. You will find regular helmet is lighter, more comfortable and it offers greater 180 degree vision. Regular helmet will offer you good protection if you crash. You have to think positively when you ride. Don't look down the trail too much. You have to look forward on trail by at least 30ft. This technique allows you to plan you next move to position your front wheel to avoid danger.

Good luck and have fun on your ride.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
GinoLicious said:

PFFFT - stitches are cheap compared to other ER visits I've had.

Like the others said - if it makes you feel better, go for it. I'd personally reconnoiter a little first before I rode something I thought would require full-face protection.

I landed on my face once in Moab. Ended up having to ride 4 miles out with blood dripping all over my bike to get back to the car. Needed 15 stitches in my chin.

Now, by reflex, I tuck my chin to my chest whenever I go OTB. It's amazing what a great teacher pain and blood can be.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts