Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Padre said:
We're still waiting on real fork options that will accomodate any "all-mountain" 29ers.
If 5 inches is considered the low end for "all mountain" on 26" wheels, why wouldn't 4 inches of travel on a 29er deliver a comparable or even a more plush ride ? In my book, the Astrix Monk be " all mountain".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
I recently rode the Turner Sultan. May not be 5" of travel, but with those big wheels this thing felt like I was cruising the cadillac of 8" freeride rigs. Smooth buttery travel and felt super stable.

Never had the chance to ride a behemoth though. I can't imagine what that ride feels like!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm really curious to know whether it's the arrow or the Indian, that enables riders to negotiate the really tough stuff with ease. My inbred is pretty dang stable, but I find myself shying away from technical stuff. Will a FS like the Sultan change that ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,019 Posts
1-track-mind said:
I'm really curious to know whether it's the arrow or the Indian, that enables riders to negotiate the really tough stuff with ease. My inbred is pretty dang stable, but I find myself shying away from technical stuff. Will a FS like the Sultan change that ?
.......IMHO, yes! I just got back from a ride on my 26" Turner RFX (5.3") after riding the Sultan almost exclusively for 5-6 weeks. The whole ride I couldn't help thinking that the Sultan (at 4") actually felt more plush & definitely much more stable. The sultan is definitely a very good pick for AM riding. All we need is a decent 20mm fork @ 100-130mm & I am set :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jncarpenter said:
.......IMHO, yes! I just got back from a ride on my 26" Turner RFX (5.3") after riding the Sultan almost exclusively for 5-6 weeks. The whole ride I couldn't help thinking that the Sultan (at 4") actually felt more plush & definitely much more stable. The sultan is definitely a very good pick for AM riding. All we need is a decent 20mm fork @ 100-130mm & I am set :thumbsup:
Thanks. Does the Sultan allow you to ride stuff that you can't on the Inbred ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,019 Posts
1-track-mind said:
Thanks. Does the Sultan allow you to ride stuff that you can't on the Inbred ?
...of course, that is a very subjective POV. I can ride anything on the Inbred that I can on the Sultan...however, the Sultan allows me to "flow" through sections that I would be tentatively picking lines through on the Inbred.

There are sections that I air off on the Turner that I choose to roll on the OnOne, however...

Both are fun in their respective differences...fwiw, I added the Sultan, but didn't want to give up the Inbred for half my rides. Still, I would rather not go without either.....the Sultan would get the nod regardless :thumbsup::D
 

·
AussieLostInNyc
Joined
·
650 Posts
1-track-mind said:
Thanks. Does the Sultan allow you to ride stuff that you can't on the Inbred ?
It all depends on the rider.
Some people can rip on hardtails some need FS to help them along.
A good rider on a FS can tear thru stuff at a scary pace and that is fun.
A FS will not always make you a better rider if you don't have the mental game up top.
It can actually make you lazy if you don't keep pushing yourself IMO..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,019 Posts
gumby said:
It all depends on the rider.
Some people can rip on hardtails some need FS to help them along.
A good rider on a FS can tear thru stuff at a scary pace and that is fun.
A FS will not always make you a better rider if you don't have the mental game up top.
It can actually make you lazy if you don't keep pushing yourself IMO..
...good points, agreed!:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,040 Posts
When was the 'Moth ever deemed the "top All Mountain 29er"? And by whom?

Lenz, Ventana, Niner, etc. all offer 4"+ travel bikes that work pretty darn well.

I'm still lobbying the Canfield Bros and Knolly to make a 4-6" adjustable travel steed. Probability extraordinarily low.

1-track-mind said:
Just wondering with all the new FS offerings, do any of them have more travel than the Moth ?
 

·
what a joke
Joined
·
2,279 Posts
Who cares if there are no forks to go on them. 5-6" with a TA, not that bloody hard is it!!!

I have lost a lot of interest in this place over the last few months got excited by the tires that came along but now...... nothing.
 

·
This place needs an enema
Joined
·
17,245 Posts
Padre said:
We don't need more bikes...we need just ONE...good...fork!
Lobby THAT!:eek:
I'm gonna have to nominate you for the "Ostrich Award" if you keep this up...

There is ONE good fork. It was offered to you, at no charge, as a demo, to help you get over your issues.

Instead, you continue stickin' your head in the sand and saying that we need a different fork. Did you buy stock in Fox or Marzocchi? Someone die and leave you with shares in RS??

Get hold of yourself, man!

The aforementioned fork in action last week...



MC
 

·
NMBP
Joined
·
2,159 Posts
This guy seems to really like the WB 130 http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=140444&highlight=behemoth

"Oh, and to all the haters out there..the White Brothers BW 1.3 is completely and totally AMAZING. It has the EXACT plushness of my Marzocchi's. It is bottomless and progressive and STIFF STIFF STIFF. At this point in the game, 5 flaming chilis on the fork."
 

·
A Surly Maverick
Joined
·
2,707 Posts
How times change :eek: :eek: :eek:

BUT, to be fair,we all change our opinions with time and experience.

Having said that I DO like my WB F130s alot and they very much remind me of my Marzocchi Z1 FR coils but stiffer due to the TA.

Just got to get them on MY Black `Moth now......:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top