Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there so I am planning on getting a mtb in the future (around summer time possibly) and I have a list of the bikes i am intersted in. I hope to round it down to 2 or so and the see them at the lbs.
Kona Kula
Kona Caldera
Specialized rockhopper pro
Specialized hardrock pro
Cannondale caffiene f3
Cannondale f4
Rocky mountain hammer
Kona kikapu
Scott scale 10
Norco sasquatch
Norco charger

thanks

·
Student
820 Posts
Sky1ne said:
Hey there so I am planning on getting a mtb in the future (around summer time possibly) and I have a list of the bikes i am intersted in. I hope to round it down to 2 or so and the see them at the lbs.
Kona Kula
Kona Caldera
Specialized rockhopper pro
Specialized hardrock pro
Cannondale caffiene f3
Cannondale f4
Rocky mountain hammer
Kona kikapu
Scott scale 10
Norco sasquatch
Norco charger

thanks
I own a Norco and I love it. Plus it's Canadian and I would much rather support my country, than any other. But on a serious note, Norco makes quality bikes and both you have mentioned are great. You can't go wrong with either. Its up to you regarding fit, style of riding, and price range to help you in the decision. I have a '06 Rival with custom parts.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
This gets real boring

Here we go again!

Someone asks about a list of bikes you can get in a bike shop
And then a poster from the 'Ibex Gang' recommends an online bike
Even when they are not the best deal in class by a long shot.

This makes this forum a joke for many readers.
I have been reading the forum for only about 2 weeks and can already tell that asking
About a bike on here is an invitation to get an Ibex commercial.

The three Ibexs suggested are far heavier and worse spec than other 'on-line' bikes you can get. But if you want a bike from a dealers; who cares?

Original poster deserves a better fairer response.

·
Registered
233 Posts
First off let me say I agree with drlogic. The Ibex post did not relate at all to the OPs question at all and only added more bikes from the messy list that was originaly posted.

Now on to the list. Sky, you really need to shorten that list...you are running anywhere from 800 dollar bikes up to 1500 dollar bikes...I assume the 4k scott 10 was a mistake on your part. You need to decide at what price point you are going to be at come the summer and narrow you choices down to those that fit. In general you will be getting better components the more money you spend, and trying to compare a 800 dollar bike to a 1500 dollar bike is not reasonable. Also remember that if you are going to be buying in the summer you will not be abe looking at 06 closeouts, you will be looking at 07s. So keep that in mind when you are pricing the bikes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
drlogic said:
Here we go again!

Even when they are not the best deal in class by a long shot.

The three Ibexs suggested are far heavier and worse spec than other 'on-line' bikes you can get.
Which bikes are better deals online? I am in the market for a ride, and would like to know which bikes you think are better deals as a whole. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I prefer to not join the hi-jackers

BadBoyRipper said:
Which bikes are better deals online? I am in the market for a ride, and would like to know which bikes you think are better deals as a whole. Thanks.
There are bikes on-line which are the same price range as the Ibex that were suggested by the poster who wanted to hi-jack this thread. Bikes that have better equipment and are 3 to 5 lbs lighter are available.

But if I start posting those bikes; then I am another guy hi-jacking a thread - making me no better than the 'Ibex Gang' who have all but totally turned this forum into a running joke.

If you want opinions on on-line XC hardtails; please start a thread and ask for those. Your target price and intended use would be helpful. But you expect about 3 Ibex affiliated posters to recommend an Ibex at once.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Yes, I agree that the mention of the IBEX was not asked for by the OP and shouldn't have been offered..But its not your place either to HI-jack this thread for your personal agenda..
"This gets real boring" and "I prefer to not join the hi-jackers"..Try starting your own thread in the proper format (and or) report it to the moderators..

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Pare the list down

I would agree that the list needs to be pared down pretty significantly. It would also help if the OP gave us a budget, the type of riding they do, their height, weight and age, and whether or not they are open to additional suggestions.

I'll also pass out a warning here for everyone that I'm not going to let this thread turn into a pissing match, flame fest or a hijack into someone's personal agenda. Inappropriate posts will be deleted, and the thread ultimately runs the risk of being locked in accordance with posting guidelines if it gets to that point. We're here to help someone to make a choice that's theirs to make. Give the person the help they ask for and deserve.

Bob

·
Registered
233 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
I would agree that the list needs to be pared down pretty significantly. It would also help if the OP gave us a budget, the type of riding they do, their height, weight and age, and whether or not they are open to additional suggestions.

I'll also pass out a warning here for everyone that I'm not going to let this thread turn into a pissing match, flame fest or a hijack into someone's personal agenda. Inappropriate posts will be deleted, and the thread ultimately runs the risk of being locked in accordance with posting guidelines if it gets to that point. We're here to help someone to make a choice that's theirs to make. Give the person the help they ask for and deserve.

Bob
Ever thought of just setting up some type of response guideline that says something like: "The listing of bikes not appropriate to the OP topic or discussion at hand can be considered advertisement by the moderators and removed?" If I was on here just constantly posting links to bikes on ebay under everyones "what bike to buy" thread, I have to think it would be stopped by the moderators.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Great idea!

corleone said:
Ever thought of just setting up some type of response guideline that says something like: "The listing of bikes not appropriate to the OP topic or discussion at hand can be considered advertisement by the moderators and removed?" If I was on here just constantly posting links to bikes on ebay under everyones "what bike to buy" thread, I have to think it would be stopped by the moderators.
While it may not necessarily be what you're looking for, I just posted a thread at the beginning of the forum which will help to minimize some of the issues we are having here. Please take a look at it.

Bob

·
Student
820 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:

Bob
Finally someone who lays down the law. Poor guy who started this thread just wanted some help. Except some people have found it necessary to make this thread terrible. Thanks Bob, someone who feels that same as me. Sky1ne, don't let this deter you, there are some genuine people on this fourm that offer genuine help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
While it may not necessarily be what you're looking for, I just posted a thread at the beginning of the forum which will help to minimize some of the issues we are having here. Please take a look at it.

Bob
I think the sticky is a good idea...just need to start ruling with an iron fist is all.:incazzato:

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
drlogic said:
...If you want opinions on on-line XC hardtails... target price and intended use... But you expect about 3 Ibex affiliated posters to recommend an Ibex at once.
Certainly there are a lot of MTBR members that are fans of the IBEX brand, but there are only two MTBR-ers who are affiliated with IBEX. Those are myself and our Tech Manager. He only posts on rare occasion, and then he sticks pretty much just to technical issues. I usually do my best to keep my presence in these sorts of "which bike" threads to a minimum unless specific info on IBEX is needed or some inacuracy needs to be cleared up.

Speaking of inacurracies, while you're certainly entitled to your opinions of what brands you prefer, your assertion that there are bikes on the OP's list that are better equipped and lighter than the IBEX models in the same price range seems rather unsupported by fact. The specs and pricing I find on those bikes would bring most folks to just the opposite conclusion.

Thanks,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dont worry im not detered from anything. I never really wanted an ibex anyways, they do not ship to canada

Bob
Alright, well my budget is somewhere around $1000- $1400 CDN. I am not going to be doing any jumping, but I will be doing some singletrack and bumpy trail riding in the rocky mountains. I would the bike to be light and agile.
sorry g2g tell you more soon!!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
I like the Rockhopper

Sky1ne said:
Alright, well my budget is somewhere around $1000- $1400 CDN. I am not going to be doing any jumping, but I will be doing some singletrack and bumpy trail riding in the rocky mountains. I would the bike to be light and agile.
I like the Rockhopper Pro. Nice specs, decent fork, LX r/d, Avid hydraulic brakes, oversize bars. Probably not your lightest option, but a very nice hardtail that i think can take some aggressive riding.

Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
are you looking at new or used bikes? i realise that some of those bikes are discontinued already...
I am looking at new bikes. Im pretty sure that they are all 2007 models, but I may be wrong.

I understand that I did not give enough info on what I want, and I apologise.
I have rounded down the bikes to three choices.
Spec. rockhopper pro- nice components
Cannondale f3 caffiene- nice frame, like headshock
Kona Kula. - nice components

I am currently around 150 pounds and 5'10. I may still have a little bit more growing to do though.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
No need to apologize

Sky1ne said:
I am looking at new bikes. Im pretty sure that they are all 2007 models, but I may be wrong.

I understand that I did not give enough info on what I want, and I apologise.
I have rounded down the bikes to three choices.
Spec. rockhopper pro- nice components
Cannondale f3 caffiene- nice frame, like headshock
Kona Kula. - nice components

I am currently around 150 pounds and 5'10. I may still have a little bit more growing to do though.
Thanks for narrowing things down and providing additional information. You're getting close! I'll add two more things to chew over. First, when you test ride, I would give serious consideration to test riding a frame that's a little larger. If you're a younger rider and anticipate growing a couple more inches over the next few years, this makes sense, IMO. Lastly, buy the bike which feels best when you ride it.

Let us know how you make out in your final choice.

Bob

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
IMO it comes down to between the Kona and the Specialized. I'm not too keen on the Cannondale Headshoks from the regular maintainence which are required on their previous models from what i've been told at my old LBS who sells cannondales. Also, i think you lose out on components as well cause the frame is more expensive to build in the USA...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.