Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - another newb asking for advice, please...

I'm upgrading from a Walmart Mongoose XR250. Yeah - I know..... but at least It served to get me interested in the sport. However, now I need something better....

I'm older and I won't be getting into radical off road activities. I'm looking for a quality, dependable, bike for moderate and infrequent riding with other adults, or with my son as he gets into off-road riding.

I'm currently looking at these options:

1. New Iron Horse Warrior 4.0 for $600 (significant discount on MSRP of $1000) however, I am concerned that this may suffer from suspension bobbing.

2. New Giant Yukon FX for $880 (small discount off list price - this is more than I really want to spend). I'm considering this because it gets good reviews and because I see in reviews that there is no appreciable suspension bobbing, or

3. 2nd hand 2006 Haro V3.0 hardtail for $300 (upgraded with Avid BB7 203mm front and 160mm rear discs and Shimano Deore XT hubs and Mach 1 rims). It retains the stock Manitou 100mm fork, Shimano SRAM shifters, Truvativ X-Flow crankset.

I realize that these options span a range of options (and prices), but what are the things to watch for and what would serve best as an entry level bike?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Worth extra $270?

Thanks for the good advice so far.

Well I have decided against the 2nd hand hard-tail (Haro).

Leaves me with two choices (new bikes):

1. Iron Horse Warrior 4.0 ($600 delivered from Randall Scott):
Fork: MARZOCCHI MZ COMP, 120MM TRAVEL
Rear Shock: FOX VANILLA R COIL, 7.5"X2"
Front Derailleur: SUN RACE FDM90, 34.9MM CLAMP
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO ACERA
Shifters: SHIMANO ALIVIO EZ-FIRE
Brakes Levers: SHIMANO ALIVIO
Brakes: TEKTRO IOX W/ 160MM ROTORS
Crankset: FSA DYNA DRIVE,
Weight 37 lbs
No warranty on frame due to Iron Horse closure. Warranty on components via each manufacturer.

2. Giant Trek FX ($870 delivered, incl. tax, via LBS)
fork: RockShox Dart 2, 100mm w/Lockout
rear shock: Giant Maestro
shifters: SRAM X4, trigger
brake levers: Tektro Alloy, 2-Finger
front derailleur: Shimano Alivio
rear derailleur: SRAM X4
brakes: Hayes MX-4 Disc
crank: TruVative ISO Flow 3.0, 22/32/42
Weight 34 lbs
Full warranty

Given that I only want this for light trail use, would the Iron Horse compnents be up to the job? Is the additiona suspsnesion travel on the Iron Horse beneficial (I'm guessing not given my likely usage).

Does anyone know if the IH Warrior has suspension bounce?

Thanks

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Ulairi said:
Thanks for the good advice so far.

Well I have decided against the 2nd hand hard-tail (Haro).

Leaves me with two choices (new bikes):

1. Iron Horse Warrior 4.0 ($600 delivered from Randall Scott):
Fork: MARZOCCHI MZ COMP, 120MM TRAVEL
Rear Shock: FOX VANILLA R COIL, 7.5"X2"
Front Derailleur: SUN RACE FDM90, 34.9MM CLAMP
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO ACERA
Shifters: SHIMANO ALIVIO EZ-FIRE
Brakes Levers: SHIMANO ALIVIO
Brakes: TEKTRO IOX W/ 160MM ROTORS
Crankset: FSA DYNA DRIVE,
Weight 37 lbs
No warranty on frame due to Iron Horse closure. Warranty on components via each manufacturer.

2. Giant Trek FX ($870 delivered, incl. tax, via LBS)
fork: RockShox Dart 2, 100mm w/Lockout
rear shock: Giant Maestro
shifters: SRAM X4, trigger
brake levers: Tektro Alloy, 2-Finger
front derailleur: Shimano Alivio
rear derailleur: SRAM X4
brakes: Hayes MX-4 Disc
crank: TruVative ISO Flow 3.0, 22/32/42
Weight 34 lbs
Full warranty

Given that I only want this for light trail use, would the Iron Horse compnents be up to the job? Is the additiona suspsnesion travel on the Iron Horse beneficial (I'm guessing not given my likely usage).

Does anyone know if the IH Warrior has suspension bounce?

Thanks
The yukon fx is a cabable cheap (ie: sub 1k) fullsus bike that deserves consideration - generally speaking this is rare praise (since almost no other <1k bikes warrent it).

Then again, if you're fairly new to the sport (and looking to build up skills) then a hardtail is probably a better choice.
A pretty solid bike with respectable (if not spectacular) geometry and a solid parts spec
should serve you well through the steep learning curve that pretty much everyone endures while getting into mountainbiking.

That said, to find this you my need to look a little further....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.