Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most of the people on here are going to be pretty good riders but I'll ask the question anyway. I'm looking for some pretty easy rides. My wife has just started riding and we need something easy to start with. We've done Pemberton a few times and besides all the water bars she likes it.

Is there anything comparable around?

Thanks.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
NZ. said:
I know most of the people on here are going to be pretty good riders but I'll ask the question anyway. I'm looking for some pretty easy rides. My wife has just started riding and we need something easy to start with. We've done Pemberton a few times and besides all the water bars she likes it.

Thanks.
In order of ascending difficulty:
- Usery Park in NE Mesa - anything other than the Pass Mtn. Loop
- Desert Classic - south side of South Mtn.
- T100 - Phoenix Mtn. Preserve from 40th St. trailhead south of Shea

Have fun!

G

·
EZ ride

Hey I just started to. I've been going to Papago the last three weekends trying to get in good riding shape. First I went out to the White Tanks and rode up Ford Canyon a couple times(they were having races at the track), it's a pretty steady uphill then turn around and ride back down. Then I went to Estrella and took the long loop..mistake, it kicked my rookie ass...it's like 5 miles uphill (8.5 total I think), with a lots of loose crap to start off with, so the ride down I was almost too tired to enjoy it (I did say almost;). But Papago is easy to get to, free, not crowded at all, and enough ups and downs to be fun. Plus there is lots of trails criss crossing all over.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
NZ. said:

Thanks.
I can give some more precise suggestions.

1. The race loops at McDowell are fairly easy rides. Do the Short Loop first. The Tech Loop has one spot that is techy, but it is mostly beginner stuff. The Long Loop has one or two spots that may require hike-a-bike, but again, nothing too bad. If she likes Pemberton, the race loops are a good "next step" and they are in the same park as Pemberton.

2. Papago. I have never gone out there, but I hear it is easy peasy. Not a very large trail network.

3. Trail 100 area. Large system, with many trails from easy to advanced. The actual Trail 100 trail east from Dreamy Draw park to its end at Tatum is a fairly easy ride. Some climbing, but not very technical. Most of this route is fairly easy. More advanced than Pemberton. You can also start at the 40th Street parking lot and head from there to Trail 100 and then go east or west. East will take you down to Tatum. West will be fairly easy for a few miles.

4. Pima & Dynamite. Lots of easier stuff, but I don't like the sand and woop de woos.

5. Desert Classic at South Mountain. Pretty easy stuff and a good next step from Pemberton. It is really good because it is a well marked out and back ride of about 18 miles. You can go as long as you like and then turn around. Desert Classic would be my first recommendation. It is a different location, which makes things fun. It is very well marked. There is no "real" climbing. Its mostly not technical and you can do an out and back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.