Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just starting to ride and have been sticking to mostly paved path's for the last couple weeks. I have been dying to get out on some dirt though.

Is Arastradero a good starting ride? Trying to get out both Saturday and Sunday this weekend.

Sorry if this has been covered in depth already.

·
Yeti SB95c
1,374 Posts
When you are ready for a bit more action then biking the Long Ridge and Skyline Open Space Preserves on Skyline Blvd will give you beginner switchbacks, steep but short climbs, flow single track, nice views, and a good primer for what we ride in the Santa Cruz Mountains but all doable by an experienced beginner / lower intermediate.

Park at the Grizzly Flat trailhead and head south into the Peters Creek trails, not down into Stevens Creek Canyon!

I did a little video on learning to MTB switchbacks on the Peters Creek and Long Ridge trails. How To Mountain Bike Switchbacks - YouTube Hope it helps.

Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank's for all the great replies. I ended up going out this morning to Arastradero and really enjoyed it. Obviously wasn't pushing it too hard and was trying to find my way around.

I actually found the climbs enjoyable and just did a bit of exploring, trying to figure out the area. Planning on heading back tomorrow morning with a buddy who know's the area a bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been just riding the Bay Trail from my apartment in Burlingame to San Mateo and back. About 10 miles round trip. I have been trying to get in 2 or 3 rides per week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jim. The video was very helpful and informative. I will check out the Long Ridge and Skyline Open Spaces Preserve soon.

·
Mtn View, CA
490 Posts
A little too south to be Peninsula but the Los Gatos Creek trail has some singletrack that parallels the pavement on some sections.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for this. I will have to check it out.

Went out again this morning and it was great again. I am really looking forward to exploring all the new options everyone recommended. This has been really helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts