Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, after having been off the bike for almost 10 years, i've picked the sport back up. i am 70 lbs heavier than when i used to tear the trails up (235 now)..so i know i need to keep working on cardio to cut that down. i've been doing about an hour a day at the local gym, almost all cardio.

once i got the bike dusted off and out on the street to try conditioning myself so i don't die on a trail..i realized my legs aren't what they used to be. my knees (muscles inboard on each knee) get very sore when climbing a hill. the seat position seems to be fine, i have about 30 degrees at my knee when at bottom dead center on the crank...but i will be taking it to the bike shop to be refitted and adjustments made.

what i really need to know, is what i can be working on at the gym as far as resistance/weight training for my core and legs that will benefit me the most on the bike.

thanks in advance!

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
30 degrees at the bottom of the stroke sounds like quite a lot to me. It's individual, of course, but a lot of fits use 15 degrees as the starting point.

Hill climbing is a bit of a tricky proposition. Try standing in the pedals to give yourself a chance to stretch out a bit, especially when your knees start to bother you. Try spinning a higher cadence when you're in the saddle.

If the knee pain doesn't go away pretty quickly with a different saddle height or a change in technique, you need to take it seriously and talk to your doctor. Getting sidelined by an overtraining injury blows.

This site has a couple of leg exercises.

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/arthroscopyknee/ark_therapy.html

When I did PT for mine, I used a rolled up towel for the knee press and an ankle weight for the straight leg raises. I also did leg extensions and leg curls. Part of the point is to force the muscles that keep the join stable to work, so a Nautilus machine may not be as beneficial. Using the universal trainer, if your gym has one, would probably be convenient and effective.

Another exercises I did was walking up and down stairs forwards and backwards. If you take your time about it, it forces you to keep the joint stable.

Also, do lots of ab work. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the link!

here's what i have to work with at my gym: http://fivepointswashington.org/FitnessCenter/Site/fitnessequipment.htm

also..i've mostly been doing cardio on the ellipticals, fairly regularly, too. about 3-5 days a week for about 50 mintues. using the HRM, plugging in age, weight, etc...i've been burning what the machine is telling me to be about 800-900 calories. so far, on the bike, i'm coming across sore legs long before i'm winded...so even as big as i am, i think i'm doing good heart and breathing wise. just need to get those muscles back up to par! i figure it's time to start with weights/resistance, but i want to know specifically what kind of target areas and machines i should be putting to use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts