Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. I've started doing a little more of my own maintenace lately and have also recently started my first el cheapo singlespeed build out of an old (and free) Trek 800. I have a pretty good set of standard Craftsman tools (300 piece?) around the garage, but I'm quickly learning that I need many specialty tools for working on bicycles.

What is a good (and relatively inexpensive) tool kit that will give me soem of the basics like:

-cassette removal tool
-chain whip
-crank puller
-pedal wrench (my standard 15mm Craftsman wrenches are sometimes too thick)

Note, I don't have to have 'Park' or 'Pedros' brand stuff, as I'm just a novice and doing this for fun, not as my career. I was thinking this might be a good start:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...rand=&sku=3521&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Any other suggestions? I figure its cheaper just to buy a kit now instead of buying one tool at a time as I need it.

Thanks.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Do a search on this forum - it as been discussed in great detail...

But the general advice is that the cheaper already made tool kits are a waste of money. They contain tools in them that many people do not have a use for, and then some of the more important tools just don't work (in my case - the chain breaker). The tools such as the cassette lockring and chainwhip are still going strong though..

Park isn't only for profesional mechanics, it is cheap enough that novice mechanics can afford to have it. The same can be said for Pedros.

You don't want to be using cheap tools - the can do more bad then good in some cases (like rounding out bolts and stripping crank arms...).

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Buy good tools and buy just what you need for your bike. Don't buy junk; get the best. They're a joy to work with and can be re-sold on e-bay if necessary, if you've had them long enough, for more than you paid for them. I've done this before. And there's a good tip - look on e-bay for good tools!

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
dan0 said:
spindoctor has a set on sale now for around $100, I picked it up with a repair stand 2 or 3 years ago and am very happy, :thumbsup:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=16571&estore_ID=766&SRCCODE=3020#
Yeah I recommend that one also. You might be able to get it cheaper or maybe call one of the stores to see what they are selling them for and order from there. Or just sign up and get emails to get some discounts, which lately seems to be every week on different types of sales.

The only thin that sucks in that tool kit is the crank puller. so go out and buy the Park version for your bike.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If your realy cheap you can get the sette tool kit from price point for less than 30 bucks. Not the best quality but ive built 2 bikes with them. I would go for something more expensive if I bought them again.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Sette ... Spin Doctor ... Lifu ...

Those cheapo toolkits have some real dogs in them. But for the price you get some good bike tools. You can spend extra $$$ to fill in where the discount kits are poor. Beware of those round spoke wrenches, the shape is evocotive of what it will do to your spoke nipples.

BTW, I absoluetly LOVE the cassette tool in the Lifu kit. It is socket based with a guide pin and is really easy to get on. I've been using the same tool for years. By contrast, I wiped out a Park Tool in a year because it had wrench flats and there was no way for a person to keep it from slipping out of the spline.

I really prefer the socket based stuff as opposed to the one piece bodies. You can put them on a Craftsman swivel ended leverage wrench. With one piece tools you have to use pipes for leverage. If you must have the best Pedro's is the choice as they make bicycle socket bits!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.