Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've biked off and on for a few years with my dads older trek. I'm looking to get a new bike of my own and start riding more often. I enjoy cross-country, dirt/singletrack and a bit of downhill. I'm looking to spend under $550. What bike should i get? I'm 5'7'' 150 if that helps. I'm looking at the specialized hardrock right now...suggestions? Thaanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Rockhoppers are good bikes. You should be in about a medium frame. Gary Fisher Wahoo, and Giant Iguana/Yukon/Rincon are also good choices. They should all come in about the same price range, give or take. When you buy your bike, make sure it feels comfortable. Fit and feel are more important than components. You can always upgrade at a couple of buck here, a couple of bucks there. Good luck!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sprets said:
I've biked off and on for a few years with my dads older trek. I'm looking to get a new bike of my own and start riding more often. I enjoy cross-country, dirt/singletrack and a bit of downhill. I'm looking to spend under $550. What bike should i get? I'm 5'7'' 150 if that helps. I'm looking at the specialized hardrock right now...suggestions? Thaanks
I'm not a big supporter of Specialized, but the hardrock and hardrock comp are some very solid entry level bikes that will be in your price range and the frame is bullet proof.
Don't rule out the bikes from Jamis - they might have something that you will like also. Whatever you do don't buy a bike just because someone else has a good opinion of them, buy it because it feels comratable to you.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wouldn't look at the fisher Wahoo, At least look at the Fisher Marlin. I have ridden mine pretty hard and have had no problems after 1 year and 550 miles of trails. Check out the Kona Blast and Cannondale F-300 as well. The fit is most important. For a beginner the best way to tell is which bike feel most reassurin going around tight turns or circles. If you feel top heavy or like the bike is going to tip on you, that is a good sense of the geometry. Spend a little time at the bike shop. Testing bikes out is a lot of fun.

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Gary Fisher

richeyr said:
I wouldn't look at the fisher Wahoo, At least look at the Fisher Marlin. I have ridden mine pretty hard and have had no problems after 1 year and 550 miles of trails. Check out the Kona Blast and Cannondale F-300 as well. The fit is most important. For a beginner the best way to tell is which bike feel most reassurin going around tight turns or circles. If you feel top heavy or like the bike is going to tip on you, that is a good sense of the geometry. Spend a little time at the bike shop. Testing bikes out is a lot of fun.
Ya, the Gary Fisher Marlin w./ discs is great. Also look into the Rocky Mountain Fusion or any other Rocky Mountain.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
The Specialized bikes in this price range this year look as if they are a little more Jr. Freeride, Dirt Jump, Urban Assault oriented than other more XC oriented bikes. Decide which you want and then compare apples to apples.

If this is what you want, I think the Hardrock might be a good choice. If you are looking to do more XC type riding, then I would look at the Giant Iguana or Fisher Tassajara. JMHO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.