Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've biked off and on for a few years with my dads older trek. I'm looking to get a new bike of my own and start riding more often. I enjoy cross-country and a bit of downhill the most. I'm looking to spend under $550. What bike should i get? I'm looking at the specialized hardrock right now...suggestions?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sprets said:
I've biked off and on for a few years with my dads older trek. I'm looking to get a new bike of my own and start riding more often. I enjoy cross-country and a bit of downhill the most. I'm looking to spend under $550. What bike should i get? I'm looking at the specialized hardrock right now...suggestions?
tell us more... terrain, size?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sprets said:
Mostly single track dirt trails or wherever. I'm 5'8'' 150.
unless you think you'll be going hard and doing crazy **** and wiping out a lot, you could go with a quicker package than the hardrock, which, IMO is a nice bike, good for hardpack and dry level-ish terrain, but too heavy to be a lot of fun on unmaintained trails and stuff and not burly enough to be a semi-serious freeride bike. i'm not to good with price conversions (i'm in canada and not sure of the prices in the states, assuming that that's where you are), but i think a giant iguana, a trek 4500 or a gary fisher wahoo (or, if you can afford one, a fisher marlin). but, the best thing to do would be to keep an eye on ebay, and any used mtbs you can get your eyes on. you can get a lightly used bike for someting like half the new price if you look well and are a bit lucky.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Try Used

There are a bunch of lightly used full suspebsion bikes that can be had for cheap!!! Don't limit yourself to new bikes. You'll be amazed at what you come across.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.