Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Giant Rincon that I have just recently started taking out on the local bike trail (Mohican State Park). Just recently the front wheel has developed a wobble in it. I took it to a LBS and the guy told me for what I'm using the bike for it would be better for me to buy new bike that is better suited for off road abuse. But since I don't have much money that is not an option. That and I would also like to become more acquainted with bicycle maintenance before I go and drop a grand or so into a new bike. The bike mechanic just tightened the front cone nuts up, told me that there could be a lot of damage done inside the hub and that buying a new wheel would not be practical. After that I took the bike home and tore the hub apart. It doesn't look like there is much damage though. The cone nuts show some wear and tear, but other than that I didn't see anything that looked really messed up.

So my question is: Should I buy a whole new wheel? Or is it possible that the cone nuts just needed tightened up?

I hope this makes sense. I could probably post some pictures if that will help clear up what I'm trying to say. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
AdamE said:
Just recently the front wheel has developed a wobble in it.
What do you mean by wobble? Is there actual play in the hub or is the wheel simply out of true?

If the former, then you're correct to be looking at the hub. If the latter, then you need to true the wheel.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
AdamE said:
There is play in the hub. I can grab the tire and move it from side to side about a quarter of an inch.
When you had the hub apart, were you able to determine where the play was coming from? If you can figure out what's going wrong, there's a chance you can fix it yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to keep looking. Right now I only have the bearings on one side taken apart and cleaned up. The part where the bearings role looks alright other than some rough spots on the cone nut. Either tonight or tomorrow I'm going to clean the other side up and take a further look. Hopefully it is something simple that I can do myself. I'll have to keep reading posts on here and other websites so I can get a better idea of what I'm looking at and how to translate it into understandable questions on here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cleaned the other side out and the ball bearings are trash. Right off the bat I could tell they were a little bit smaller that the other side and when I got done cleaning I had little metal chips all over my hands.

Does this mean the entire hub is trashed or would I be able to replace the ball bearings and cone nut? Maybe even tray that the ball bearings sit in?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.