Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys! I'm a beginner on Mtb and I want to try the sports. I want a bike that I can use everyday and can be use on trails. My buddy told me to go for hard tail 27.5. Can you please give me a suggestion what is good for me? Because I really don't know what to buy. My budget is $1,500. Thanks!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts
get a used bike for 700 bucks, you can get something really awesome second hand from a bike shop. then save your coin for upgrades or repairs. what is good, will be a hard tail, tube tires, standard bike. if you then ride it enough you will know if you want 'more bike' later but a bog-standard hardtail IS 100% enough bike don't be fooled by fancy stuff. you need to just get out and ride. 700 bucks will get you plenty of bike...ask around

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Don't necessarily limit yourself to 27.5" wheels just because your buddy told you to go that route. Test ride all 3 wheel sizes. In that budget, look for a decent hardtail. Going the used route can get you something nicer for less money most of the time, but be sure whatever you get fits you. Also, factor into your budget accessories like a helmet, water carrying system (bottles/cages or hydration pack), flat repair kit, padded shorts, etc...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you can get a nice used bike, then its a great route to go. Definitely get more bang for your buck. But, if a new 27.5 HT is what you really want, then you could check out the Rocky Mountain Fusion (since I see your in Canada). Its $1100 which would leave your room for a helmet, gloves, small tools, spare tubes and other accessories.

Fusion 27.5 | Rocky Mountain Bicycles

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
meh deal.

There are marins that sell one bay with fox fork, slx components, black flag expert wheelset for about $1200. You're talking about fork like 3 tiers higher, components 2 tiers higher, and I think better wheelset (don't know the alex that wel). That fusion is really crappy deal in comparison.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
get a used bike for 700 bucks, you can get something really awesome second hand from a bike shop. then save your coin for upgrades or repairs. what is good, will be a hard tail, tube tires, standard bike. if you then ride it enough you will know if you want 'more bike' later but a bog-standard hardtail IS 100% enough bike don't be fooled by fancy stuff. you need to just get out and ride. 700 bucks will get you plenty of bike...ask around
I know I can save a lot by going for a used MTB. The problem is I don't know how to fix or build a MTB. I might spend more by messing up everything.:madman:

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I think a first bike should be bought new from a lbs.
It isn't the cheapest route but service in valuable.

A good shop should help you pick out the right bike.
Help you pick out the right size.
Put it together correctly and make sure it is tuned right.
Give at least one free tune up after break in.
Warranty

Buy a used bike and don't know much about them, everything can easily seem ok and a month down the road you realize you need a new bottom bracket, chain, sprockets, brake pads, fork rebuild, etc etc and your $700 good deal just turned in to $1200 rip off. Or worse, find out there is a small crack in the frame and see how much that costs to replace.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
I know I can save a lot by going for a used MTB. The problem is I don't know how to fix or build a MTB. I might spend more by messing up everything.:madman:
Sounds to me like you would benefit from having a LBS to help you out once in a while. Over time you'll learn more than you could imagine about how to keep your bike(s) running but up front it's helpful to have someone to sort out your issues and give you assistance.

My vote, as it always it, is that you go to as many local bike shops as you can and ride everything in your price range. Then pick the one you like riding the most. Everyone thinks this choosing a bike thing is so hard; just choose what you like. Don't stress about getting the absolute best deal or the newest stuff or the coolest wheel size because everything will change again next year.

Your budget and your selection of shops near you limits your options to a finite number. Test ride as many brands, wheel sizes, and types of bikes as you can. You might want to reach upward and downward a level in price as a point of comparison as well. If you can't choose between bikes (maybe they all feel exactly the same) then choose between shops; did one treat you well? Go support them! You'll be glad you choose a good shop if given the option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you can get a nice used bike, then its a great route to go. Definitely get more bang for your buck. But, if a new 27.5 HT is what you really want, then you could check out the Rocky Mountain Fusion (since I see your in Canada). Its $1100 which would leave your room for a helmet, gloves, small tools, spare tubes and other accessories.

Fusion 27.5 | Rocky Mountain Bicycles
Wow! I like that bike. I'll check LBS for that bike. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds to me like you would benefit from having a LBS to help you out once in a while. Over time you'll learn more than you could imagine about how to keep your bike(s) running but up front it's helpful to have someone to sort out your issues and give you assistance.

My vote, as it always it, is that you go to as many local bike shops as you can and ride everything in your price range. Then pick the one you like riding the most. Everyone thinks this choosing a bike thing is so hard; just choose what you like. Don't stress about getting the absolute best deal or the newest stuff or the coolest wheel size because everything will change again next year.

Your budget and your selection of shops near you limits your options to a finite number. Test ride as many brands, wheel sizes, and types of bikes as you can. You might want to reach upward and downward a level in price as a point of comparison as well. If you can't choose between bikes (maybe they all feel exactly the same) then choose between shops; did one treat you well? Go support them! You'll be glad you choose a good shop if given the option.
Is it ok to try the bikes on a lbs, then I will choose the one I prefer?

·
Registered
15,126 Posts
Choosing a bike is hard. And it's not possible to do it by test riding it around the parking lot. The important part of how a bike rides is while you are flashing down a hill hitting rocks and roots into an off camber turn at the bottom to climb up through ruts and feel confident doing it.
A bike you like riding around a parking lot can feel twitchy and no fun at speed on the trail.
Demo days at a trail is where you can tell the fastest about what bike you like riding.
I'd skip 26 hardtails. 29 inch wheels roll over things better and the handling is now more about the geo.
Demo a Trek Superfly at a Factory demo. That is new geo and frame this year.
For when you test ride at a lbs take it in and out of ditches and on the grass or over whatever you can see. That will give you a bit more info.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
I agree with the demo thing (and all your other points too) but not everyone has demo days near them. Even here where I live which is a huge cycling area and we do have lots of demo days, it could be weeks or even months before you get to demo all the bikes you want to see.

Another option is narrow it down to a shop and see if they will let you take a rental out for free or at least refund the rental price upon purchase of a bike.

Also you could pick a shop with a liberal return policy such as REI.
I am not saying to buy something with the intent of returning it. However their policy does state that if you don't like your purchase you can return it. I bought my first two bikes from them because of this. When buying my first bike and wasn't sure about my decision the girl even said to get it and if I don't like it that I could bring it back. I never intended to bring them back but it was nice knowing I could if it didn't live up to my expectations.

·
Bandit 29 FTW!!!
1,164 Posts
I think a first bike should be bought new from a lbs.
It isn't the cheapest route but service in valuable.

A good shop should help you pick out the right bike.
Help you pick out the right size.
Put it together correctly and make sure it is tuned right.
Give at least one free tune up after break in.
Warranty

Buy a used bike and don't know much about them, everything can easily seem ok and a month down the road you realize you need a new bottom bracket, chain, sprockets, brake pads, fork rebuild, etc etc and your $700 good deal just turned in to $1200 rip off. Or worse, find out there is a small crack in the frame and see how much that costs to replace.
I agree with some of this. Buying from a LBS is a good idea. But make sure you visit different LBS's and find one that you will have a good relationship with. You don't want one that is just pushing a bike on you. You want them to be there to answer questions and give you tips on how to ride.

Buy a decent bike. Somewhere in the $500-700 range. If you really enjoy riding I promise you that an upgrade will be in order. You could spend a year or two or three learning on a lesser bike and be ready for an upgrade when your skills have improved.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
2012 Marin Rock Springs Elite 29er 17" Hardtail MTB Bike Shimano XT SLX Fox New | eBay

I strongly disagree with many of these comments. OP, before buying , print out he marin spec sheet I listed, go in to an LBS or compare online shop, and see what a similar bike would cost you.

Or see what these parts are worth compared to the MUCH lower tier bikes you're looking at. ugh.,, i'll do some of it cuz I hate to see a newbie not get the best ride / $ they can get. Ebay sold listings = true market value used below

compared to that fustion bike:
fork:
xc30 $140
fox float evolution $400

wheelset:
black flag expert $300
alex can't find exact, but most expensive alex set on ebay $150. Alex are considered lower tier.

Crankset
deore $100
slx $130

saddle
generic rocky mountain ?
wtb silverado $30

derailleur
deore $33
deore xt $80

In a LBS, you're not gonna see much better that Fustion, unless there is some sort of crazy clearance.

If you're unsure, go check out a marin bike locally. Then buy it online.

That marin bike is AT LEAST $2000 in an lbs. It comes with warranty (double check with Canada). First time dial in + tune ups is not worth $800+. I hope they are willing to ship
to Canada

Oh, looks like marin bikes are sold locally canada. There you go, LBS warranty support.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.