Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have had the urge to get into downhill. From the research that I have done on here it seems that the general consensus is to purchase a hardtail because my budget is lacking. My max is about 600 bucks.

I just returned from my local bike shop and they had nothing that would suit my needs. They only had recreational hardtails and a couple full suspensions. The guy said that I would crack the axles on these bikes in no time and they were at the max of my budget.

I want to charge trails, drops, jumps, and everything in between. Is it possible for me to get out on the mountain for my budget; if so, what should I get?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Unlikely you'll find a DH bike for that price.

Look for a used bike. Maybe start with a frame & pick up used components when you find them. You can find older Kona Stinkys for pretty cheap. Look through the classifieds on pinkbike.com.

Keep in mind that DH is pretty expensive. If you're just getting into riding MTB, you might want to get into other styles of riding first. Develop your skills & learn what style of bike works for you. Also, you can typically rent bikes at bike parks. You might want to look into that prior to committing to spending cash to build up a DH bike.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been riding and jumping bikes off and on since I was a kid so I'm pretty comfortable on two wheels. Having said that, I haven't ridden downhill EVER so maybe I will try it out by renting first and then just save for a decent bike. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy an Iron Horse 6point or 7point in decent condition. Excellent bikes for the money. Usually cost around what you're trying to spend.
A Walmart bike? Ha! I was just at the bike shop looking at a $500 Trek and the guy told me I would crack the axle or something in a day. This bike can really handle downhill conditions? I'm not trying to insinuate that you don't know what you're talking about. I'm just curious. I'd love to get the go ahead for 400 bucks.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Nonsense! Get a used bike for $600 to $1000 and ride it until it breaks, something. Then fix it, rinse and repeat.

Or buy a more expensive bike and basically do the same thing. It's all about your level of commitment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nonsense! Get a used bike for $600 to $1000 and ride it until it breaks, something. Then fix it, rinse and repeat.

Or buy a more expensive bike and basically do the same thing. It's all about your level of commitment.
Ha! Thanks, dude. I've been looking on pinbike and it seems that I can definitely do that. I'm pumped.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I sold my $3500+ (original value) Santa Cruz Bullit for $1000 after about 8 years of use. It still rode like a $3500+ bike, though it was a little heavier than my modern bike. That was the absolute best I could get for it after all those years.

There's no reason you can't get onto a reasonable rig if you're willing to go used. However, I'd save a bit longer so you can afford something in the $1000 range, otherwise, you're probably going to end up with something that's either REAL old or REALLY trashed. I'd recommend a single-pivot bike like a Bullit because there's really nothing that could go wrong with them -- they're simple, built like tanks, and have the least number of "weak" points of any design. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up a Diamondback XTS Moto for 450 bucks. All is well. Excited to give this sport a try. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts