Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new and had two questions after going for my first ride this morning.

Excuse me being brief, I'm using my phone.

First, my chain popped off my front sprocket while shifting. Does this indicate a problem with adjustment? I wasn't pedaling hard at all.

Second, my butt is killing me. The best solution is biking shorts with padding right?

Edit: my bike is a new 2013 canondale trail 5 29.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK. Well I got some shorts at ***** (edit: the sporting goods store that rhymes with licks) because I needed gloves so what the heck. They're the liner ones that go under your normal stuff.

They fit...but i literally can't even sit on my bike now I'm so sore. Well see how I feel tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK...so for the heck of it I sat on my wife's seat - 2014 specialized myka 26 and it feels like i could ride on it for hours...maybe my sit bones are further apart than most and I need a wider seat.

I'm going to take a pic of our seats and post it. Edit: no idea how to post a pic from my phone. Anyway a woman seat feels OK and mine feels terrible.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,971 Posts
OK...so for the heck of it I sat on my wife's seat - 2014 specialized myka 26 and it feels like i could ride on it for hours...maybe my sit bones are further apart than most and I need a wider seat.

I'm going to take a pic of our seats and post it. Edit: no idea how to post a pic from my phone. Anyway a woman seat feels OK and mine feels terrible.
it probably feels better because your sit bones are so sore and it touches you in a different place.

2 things what kind of seat is on your bike? and you want to wear cycling short as the first layer of clothes. No underwear underneath.

And as everyone said it hurts the first few times as your backside builds up strength and resistance to the bike seat.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is on the left. It's just the stock canondale seat.

It's not just pain ... it's like I literally can't sit on it it hurts so bad. And it's definitely like bone pain, not anything else like soft tissue or anything.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
As far as the chain coming off, it sounds like a front derailleur limit adjustment. Check out the maintenance tips section on parktools.com website for some info on this.

As for the sore butt, how long was your ride (timewise)? As others have said, your sitbones have to get "worked in" if you haven't been riding regularly. Shorts with padding (chamois) are an absolute must but so is a saddle that fits the shape of your arse and this often takes some trial and error trying different saddles on your part. My saddle of choice is WTB Lazer V which runs a little wider then some, I tried a WTB Rocket which runs a little narrower and I didn't like it. Another thing I do to work the sitbones in is to NOT wear shorts with chamois on short rides, tooling around the neighborhood etc...a little abuse will help toughen yo a$$ up!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well...the total distance of the trail that we covered was only about 3 miles...but I was with my wife and son who were slow. I'd go ahead and come back, and any time I saw a side trail I was on it. So I mean like maybe 4 miles, a lot of which were really slow keeping pace with my son. Total time on the bike was probably around an hour or hour and a half. I mean we stopped to drink and look at scenery, its really tough to say total time.

I don't know what to do with my seat issue. I can fix the derailleur no problem. I'm a pretty logical/mechanical person.

I'll try tomorrow with the padded liners I got, and if that doesn't fix it, my bike shop has some 12 day comfort thing on new seats.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Yeah, I'd think that with 1.5 hrs in the saddle the 1st time out without padding, not completely uncommon to have a sore butt. Your best bet is to go with padded shorts to start with and maybe try some different saddles to see what works for you. I hear Specialized dealers have a system where they actually measure your posterior and recommend a (Specialized) saddle to correspond. Saddle selection can be tricky, my wife tried a lot of different saddles before she finally found a WSD model that didn't pinch her koochie lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after careful research and measuring techniques, I've determined that my sit bones are 108mm apart at their center or preferred resting point.

A lot of articles say to add 30 to that, which would give mea saddle with of 138 needed...but I found a mountain biking guide that suggests a 155mm seat when you're at 110. My current seat measures 128mm ( I'm assuming 130 is standard so my measurements must be 2mm off).

It literally feels like I'm straddling a pipe on my bike. I think I'm going to get a wider seat on Monday.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
You can measure your sitbones with this trick. Dont skip step two. It is VERY important.

1. Take tin foil and put it on carpeted stairs.
2. Make sure no one is looking
3. Drop yo shorts and sit
4. Measure your sit bones center to center with a ruler.

You usually want to pick a saddle that is a little wider than your sitbones so you can have some purchase to sit on.

Saddle fit is super personal. What works for me wont necessarily work for you.

Your best bet is take your fit number, and find a saddle tester program at a LBS and try a few out. This will give you a starting point.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Stock seats are notoriously horrible. Hence the reason why many bike shops have new "take-off" seats for $5ea.
It's one of the first upgrades most riders make.
I'd suggest making friends and borrowing a few seats, trying some out thru the bike shop, or hitting Ebay and the classifieds and picking up a few cheap seats to try out.
I've been thru a few in the few years I
ve been riding, and have settled on the Rocket V as my favorite. I do wear padded baggies on long rides though. It's also fine for shorter rides with the kids without padded shorts.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
46,443 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new and had two questions after going for my first ride this morning.

Excuse me being brief, I'm using my phone.

First, my chain popped off my front sprocket while shifting. Does this indicate a problem with adjustment? I wasn't pedaling hard at all.

Second, my butt is killing me. The best solution is biking shorts with padding right?

Edit: my bike is a new 2013 canondale trail 5 29.
I like this guy already he answered his own questions. Bravo my friend bravo you're a step ahead of us. :thumbsup:;)

·
I didn't do it
9,466 Posts
deapee, realize that getting a saddle that works for you could be a fair amount of work so don't get discouraged. There's a lot about this topic on these forums. Do a search and check out the threads on saddle fit for a good start on your quest.

And don't cheap out on the chamois. Personally I think a good quality chamois is worth every penny.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, thanks everyone. I pretty much have my mind made up as to getting a wtb pure v -- i just feel like the 148mm width may be exactly what I'm looking for. I just hope my local bike shop has one and I don't have to wait for shipping.

I realize that most of the time a new user is going to need to break in their butt or get chamois but I'm pretty certain mine is a sizing issue with the width of my sit bones.

·
I didn't do it
9,466 Posts
Yeah, thanks everyone. I pretty much have my mind made up as to getting a wtb pure v -- i just feel like the 148mm width may be exactly what I'm looking for. I just hope my local bike shop has one and I don't have to wait for shipping.

I realize that most of the time a new user is going to need to break in their butt or get chamois but I'm pretty certain mine is a sizing issue with the width of my sit bones.
A sizing issue may or may not be the cause of your pain. You really can't pinpoint the cause of the butt pain until you start changing things (saddle, chamois, etc) and see what changes help. Just to make things more complicated it might be a combination of things. And even if you have the "right" sized saddle it doesn't mean the make and model will work for you. The same sized saddle from different manufactures will most likely fit your bum differently and therefore give you a different level of comfort. This is what makes saddle selection so difficult - you can't make predictions on what will work. And what works for one person may not work for another. You start out with the best info you can, i.e. measure your sitbones, and go from there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I did that, and came up with 108mm -- which means i need a 143mm seat -- or some sites recommend a 155 for mountain bike because of the position. I feel like the pure v at 148 would be a fit.

Honestly, I dont have much experience with riding...but when it feels like I'm sitting on a steel pipe...after an hour and a half of riding, something's not right. I can power on through breaking in my butt no problem, but I can't even sit on my seat right now.

I'll stop at my LBS tomorrow. Maybe they measure me or maybe not. Either way I'm leaving with a 148'ish mm seat, measured with my own ruler. I'm fairly confident this will fix my issue.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.