Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm hoping that someone will share their knowledge of some Beg/Intermed Trails around Idaho City so we can get of the heat in Boise and have some fun. Thanks for your help in advance.

Michael:)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Are you familiar with the Idaho City Park & Ski system? Here is a map:
http://www.idahoparks.org/assets/content/docs/Recreation/Idaho City Bike Trails.pdf

I XC ski and snowshoe up there during the winter, but last summer was the first time I rode around there and it was fun. Definately nothing hard about that particular system of trails. It's more of a rolling type of XC riding rather than climb, climb, climb type of riding. The trails are pretty smooth just like here in Boise.

Here are a set of pix from last June on the Banner Ridge system:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/50635E5488787B6

It's a mix of singletrack/doubletrack/dirt roads. All of the trails are pretty well signed and if you carry a map with you (they are also available at each outhouse at the parking areas), you really can't get lost...unless you have a horrible sense of direction :D.

EDIT

I'm gonna copy and paste an email from the Idaho City yurt coordinator with regards to trail conditions as of a couple of weeks ago....

The trails in exposed areas is dry and firm on all trails. The Moose trail has trees down on it at the upper end. The Elkhorn loop has trees down from the Cougar intersection by the Bear crossing sign to the turn off for the Elkhorn yurt. There are also some trees down on the lower Elkhorn closer to the Beaver Creek Road. There were still snow fields in the forested, protected areas so obviously those sections of the trails will be wet and rather soggy. I'm not able to get crews in to clean up the trails until later this month.
EDIT AGAIN

I *might* be heading up there early Sunday morning. I'm thinking of riding west Gold Fork and then crossing 21 to ride around east Gold Fork and then up to the Banner Ridge system. I'm hoping to get in 20+ miles of riding, but ya' never know. This is all dependent on how much work I bring home this weekend :madman:.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Chad & JJ (and anyone else) --- how does 7am at the Albertson's on Federal Way on Sunday sound? :eek: Damn that's early. Should get us on our bikes by 9am if we start out from Gold Fork. I have to keep it early since I am bringing work home this weekend :madman: and would like to have time to get working on 'em by late afternoon. Ugh.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Yup...so far just you, me, jovifan69, and possibly an ex-coworker from REI (I think).

Man...7am is too friggin' early. But alas...I have to balance play with work this weekend :madman:.

I think we'll start off at Gold Fork around 9am if anyone else is interested. I just hope I don't get us lost up there!!!!
:eek:

And if we do see any wildlife...make sure I have my damn camera out. Still pissed I didn't get one of the bear last night.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
michaelsnead said:
Hi Folks,

I'm hoping that someone will share their knowledge of some Beg/Intermed Trails around Idaho City so we can get of the heat in Boise and have some fun. Thanks for your help in advance.

Michael:)
The temps in Idaho City are usually within 1 or 2 deg of Boise until you get higher on the trails. I mean waaay up. Idaho Chitty has a great network of trails and it's in the trees, but boy howdy is it dusty right now. I've been up there 4 times since June 3rd, and it's square edged moon dust.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,018 Posts
Nick - Thanks for posting that map. Believe it or not, I've never ridden up there before (except the Idaho City Excellent Adventure course). Looks like a great place to take the wife to get her more into biking. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Geoff -- me, Jennifer and Chad hit a number of trails up there earlier today. Lot of deadfall on Cougar. We had to backtrack to one of the Gold Fork trails since we missed it the first time around. Coming down that trail was a bit tricky since it was overgrown. And you do need some luck with finding some of the trails cuz they can be easy to miss or you can get somewhat disoriented at some of the intersections. Overall we had a great time up there. The riding up there definately ain't "fast" per se.

EDIT

And when you do go up there...pack along the vat of bug spray and sunblock...man did we need that stuff today!!

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,018 Posts
Nick - Let me know the next time you go back up. The family and I are staying in town this weekend (we both have to work Monday and McCall is WAY too crowded on the 4th of July weekend) so, pending a kitchen pass approval, I'd be into an Idaho City trip.

·
Barneys Unite!
748 Posts
Did you get to do Cougar and Lehn's

while you were up there? Great trails for folks like me.

So it looks like the Idaho City jaunt has turned you into a climbin' fool :D

If you head up there again, I'd like to go!

TF

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
We did a portion of Cougar, but didn't get to do Lehn's. We had already been riding for several hours before we hit the lower portion of Cougar. I had to be back in the office yesterday afternoon so we had to get back to Gold Fork. I think if we woulda looped Cougar and Lehn's before heading back down, we probably woulda added at least another hour or so. I would have loved to do that, but I really had to get back to Boise.

I'll definately let everyone know when will be the next time we head up there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.