Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Banned
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be able to overcome less fitness with more skills. Remember them days? Before Zwift? Now all the dad bods have zwift and crazy fitness. They don't have to invest time getting to the trails to train, and they can afford the best trainers and coaches online.

Before zwift

· CEO Product Failure
2,410 Posts
What's the issue with Zwift and smart trainers? Fat guys with fitness are now faster and can ride further?

If you're considering a smart trainer, talk to your LBS or local retailer. I purchased my KickR (Wahoo trainer) on Black Friday and saved a ton.

If you are able to maintain a base level of fitness during the off season, you'll start the next year stronger. Nearly every Cat1 racer I know has used some version of an indoor smart trainer during the offseason for years/decades. If you can manage the investment, I highly recommend Zwift'ing.

Reactions: Rod

· Registered
165 Posts
I used to be able to overcome less fitness with more skills. Remember them days? Before Zwift? Now all the dad bods have zwift and crazy fitness. They don't have to invest time getting to the trails to train, and they can afford the best trainers and coaches online.

Before zwift
Before Zwift ... training was getting up in the middle of winter, before sun rise, freezing cold, putting on several layers ... and then riding 2 hours fasted and another 2 hours for "fun".

Trails were usually too wet to ride.

With Zwift I can get the same workout in 1.5 hours.

· Banned
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont have an issue with zwift or smart trainers, im trying to figure out how to set one up in my school bus! I was just reminiscing about the good old days where riding a lot and having skills got you pretty far. Now everyone can get fitness more accessible. It means i have to work harder.

The level of all sports amateur and professional is higher than ever. Everyone has access to the information and equipment now. Time to adapt and evolve.

· Banned
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the issue with Zwift and smart trainers? Fat guys with fitness are now faster and can ride further?

If you're considering a smart trainer, talk to your LBS or local retailer. I purchased my KickR (Wahoo trainer) on Black Friday and saved a ton.

If you are able to maintain a base level of fitness during the off season, you'll start the next year stronger. Nearly every Cat1 racer I know has used some version of an indoor smart trainer during the offseason for years/decades. If you can manage the investment, I highly recommend Zwift'ing.
Now guys can convert 4-6 hours of driving to the trails and back into riding their bike more. Now they have the advantage over me who can go to the trail every day.

· CEO Product Failure
2,410 Posts
Now guys can convert 4-6 hours of driving to the trails and back into riding their bike more. Now they have the advantage over me who can go to the trail every day.
Yup! I'm sitting at ~4k mi on Zwift since January. Tapered off during the summer to 2-3 rides a month. Now I'm riding/Zwifting 1-3 times per week due to day light, weather, and the convenience of riding at home.

Reactions: trmn8er

· Registered
2,302 Posts
You're making no sense at all. Why would someone who is limited to riding their trainer have an advantage over YOU who can ride the same amount of time on real trails? Sounds like you're just not making the most of your riding time.

Do some intervals and quit whining.

· Registered
2020 Santa Cruz Tallboy C
174 Posts
I dont have an issue with zwift or smart trainers, im trying to figure out how to set one up in my school bus! I was just reminiscing about the good old days where riding a lot and having skills got you pretty far. Now everyone can get fitness more accessible. It means i have to work harder.

The level of all sports amateur and professional is higher than ever. Everyone has access to the information and equipment now. Time to adapt and evolve.
I'm sure someone could setup your bus with pedal power. I'm guessing you are the driver and not passenger.

· Registered
999 Posts
I will tell you people as an old ex-racer, back in the day (i.e. Before Zwift) there were plenty of people who would do intervals all winter indoors on their trainer and just stare at the wall while suffering. And yes, these guys would typically kick your ass in race season.
Exactly. Just because the trainers are “smart” now, doesn’t mean this wasn’t a thing since most folks were on rollers

· Registered
2,198 Posts

Good perspective.

It's easy to comfuse the OP with complaining, but I don't think that is Lane's intent here! He's just noting change in the times.

Choose to prioritize trail riding and compromise focused trainer time, but build skill.
OR
Choose to prioritize trail time, have some fun outside, build skills, but sacrifice focused workouts and fitness.

A mix will yield the best results.

Everyone else is right though, this conundrum has existed for years. It's just that trainer time yields even better results now. I remember putting the trainer in my 35 deg garage and staring at the wall for 1.5 hours at at time. I was so motivated at the time that I enjoyed every minute of it. Those same years, I was also out riding packed snow trails before fat bikes came around. It was...and still is...a mix for me.

· Registered
5,937 Posts
I got myself a Tax Neo 2T last winter but I really dislike Zwift. Anyone have any recommended alternatives? TrainerRoad?
I can't stand Zwift either.

I do a lot of my turbo trainer riding doing virtual rides on Fulgaz which I like for the variety to keep it interesting. It was raining all day today so I started off with a ride round Uluru (Ayers rock) in Australia as a 40 minute warmup, then 1 hour 10 minutes of punchy cobbled climbs in Flanders, Belgium followed by a 50 minute ride over the Ou Kaapse Weg climb from Cape Town, South Africa to finish. South Africa is one of my favourite places for riding on the turbo trainer, very scenic and there always seems to be something going on.:)

There's a 14 day free trial for Fulgaz

Wahoo have just launched their new Wahoo SYSTM turbo trainer app (formerly known as the Sufferfest) which also has a 14 day free trial. I'm going to give that a go as the new Pro ride feature sounds like it could be fun:

" Added ProRides: These 7 rides are filmed in a pro race with a GoPro onboard, however there’s two key distinctions. First, there’s no cuts in the video. It’s straight through from a given starting point, for a duration of 1-2 hours. Second, you mirror the pro rider’s actual power recorded in that actual race, except simply scaled to your 4DP zones based on his 4DP zones. It’s super cool, and crazy well executed." dcrainmaker

Rouvy is worth a try too. That has a 14 day free trial as well and does some nice things with virtual rides (there may be a pattern here! )

I make that 42 days subscription free turbo trainer riding.:)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.