Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gonna get Hayes Mags,because I have always used them with no problems.But,I keep hearing Hope M4`s are the sh!t.Are they as reliable? I`m sure the stopping power is better than Hayes,plus they look better than a high priced hooker.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
lol

hopes have many problems: sqealing, bleeding, and fading to name the big ones. Some people they work great and some they don't. I have friend who would sell you his Brand New 2005 8inch hayes mags front AND rear for around 200 bucks(he took them off a demo 8 and put juicy 7;s on it). PM or email [email protected] .......... if you aren;t up for that screaming deal, Shimano XT's are good brakes (in my opinion better than hayes) and juicy 7's are pretty much the shizzat if you can pay like 450 for a pair. Email me about those hayes, saving 250 bucks is a good idea.

·
you said.. Member
228 Posts
eh.

[SBF]SaSQuATCH said:
I was gonna get Hayes Mags,because I have always used them with no problems.But,I keep hearing Hope M4`s are the sh!t.Are they as reliable? I`m sure the stopping power is better than Hayes,plus they look better than a high priced hooker.
I have 2 bikes, 1 with the Hope Mono M4s and 1 with the Hayes Mags.

I really like the Hopes, I only notices squealing (more like screaming) before the pads bedded, after that no problems. Hopes have a good feel and lots of power. I've hear people complain but I would assume they have improper adjustment or cheap pads. Hopes have no need for an adapter but you can't switch them to from Marz,Fox (or other) to Manitou forks.

Hayes Mags have tons of power, enough to throw you off if you're not watching. However, there is much less feel ("feedback") from the brakes and that dam self-adjusting screw on the lever is total garbage. Hayes use an adapter which adds versatility, slop and more bolts to come loose.

They are both great brakes, I prefer the M4's. And, they gots mad freakin bling factor.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have you thought about Saint???
I run the Brembo's on all my bikes but they are not available yet, and the price to the public doesn't warrant the added performance yet.

I love the weight, monoblock design, and feel of the Saint way more than any of the Hope or Hayes I've run in the past. I run the Saints with the Shimano XT hydralic levers because I do not like Shimano new Lever/ Shifter combo. Plus the XT levers are also light as a feather.

I think the only draw back...and the reason no one has mentioned these yet is the fact that the rotor is a spline drive. The calipers work perfectly with a standard 8" disc but if you have the ability to run the Saint disc it's even better. I got a sick deal on three sets of Saint Brakes and Hub Sets so it was easy for me to switch to the complete Saint system. I can probably still hook you up if you wanted to try them out.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,010 Posts
Captain Crash said:
I have 2 bikes, 1 with the Hope Mono M4s and 1 with the Hayes Mags.

I really like the Hopes, I only notices squealing (more like screaming) before the pads bedded, after that no problems. Hopes have a good feel and lots of power. I've hear people complain but I would assume they have improper adjustment or cheap pads. Hopes have no need for an adapter but you can't switch them to from Marz,Fox (or other) to Manitou forks.

Hayes Mags have tons of power, enough to throw you off if you're not watching. However, there is much less feel ("feedback") from the brakes and that dam self-adjusting screw on the lever is total garbage. Hayes use an adapter which adds versatility, slop and more bolts to come loose.

They are both great brakes, I prefer the M4's. And, they gots mad freakin bling factor.
I second the Hope Mono 4's or any Hope Mono Brake.

I have 2 sets of Hope Mono brakes and Love them.
I don't have a problem with Hayes either. Hayes work well and are cheaper than Hope.
but I'd rather spend the extra money and get a better brake.
From my experiences and ride time.
IMO that's what the Hope Mono's are. A Better Brake.

·
Registered
147 Posts
consider this. you are on a race and just ripped the brake line, a lever broke, had a crash and your rotor broke, or somethiung happened to your pads or you simply lost some oil. Getting a Hayes rotor, lever, oil, brake line is the easiest thing in the world. EVERYBODY has them.

A friend of mine bent a Hope Mono 6 lever, couldnt race that day, because he slowly started unbending it and cracked it a little. NOBODY had a level. And he spend like 50 bucks, if not more, to get a new set.

05 Hayes Mags are suppost to be as reliable as brakes can get.

I say go for Hayes, when you are on a National race , you can get any part. When you are out in Platterkill, you are simply f0cked.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just don't fall and break levers....or hit rocks and bend rotors.

J/K

I understand what you are saying, and if he goes through parts that frequently then he should take that into consideration.
At the nationals I've never had a problem getting anything from any of the Major manufacturers. Hope, Hayes, Shimano, Avid...there all there.

We are all in the same position if we break something free riding. I always stick with what works the best for me. Sh!t...I ordered 2 extra sets of rotors and levers for my Brembos just for that reason. I'd be off the bike for weeks if I had to order something from Italy.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
[SBF]SaSQuATCH said:
Had Hayes for years, good brakes.

Tried the Hopes, did not care for them.

Now am on Magura Gustavs. Amazing brake. I have had zero problems on them in the first 5 months on them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Something Clever... said:
I bought the juicy 7's 6 months ago and they have great modulation and stopping power. You can get killer deals on ebay. I have not yet tried the el caminos but I am sure they are right up there with the juicy's and hope disc brakes.
Magura Gustavs 2 years and not one problem

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
freeriderizzle said:
Have you thought about Saint???
I run the Brembo's on all my bikes but they are not available yet, and the price to the public doesn't warrant the added performance yet.

I love the weight, monoblock design, and feel of the Saint way more than any of the Hope or Hayes I've run in the past. I run the Saints with the Shimano XT hydralic levers because I do not like Shimano new Lever/ Shifter combo. Plus the XT levers are also light as a feather.

I think the only draw back...and the reason no one has mentioned these yet is the fact that the rotor is a spline drive. The calipers work perfectly with a standard 8" disc but if you have the ability to run the Saint disc it's even better. I got a sick deal on three sets of Saint Brakes and Hub Sets so it was easy for me to switch to the complete Saint system. I can probably still hook you up if you wanted to try them out.
i might be mistaken, but i think there is a saint brake system that has a 6 bolt pattern for the rotors...

and they make saint levers that do not have the shifter that's integrated... i might be running saint brakes later this year if i can't find shimano xt's or juicy 7's...

here's the non-integrated lever.

·
Registered
404 Posts
JBsoxB said:
i might be mistaken, but i think there is a saint brake system that has a 6 bolt pattern for the rotors...

and they make saint levers that do not have the shifter that's integrated
....here's the non-integrated lever.
That suck a$$....Those levers wern't available when I ordered my sets.
That looks way sicker than my XT levers.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've ridden with most hydros except for Avids. If you can get a good deal on the hope m4s I would go with those. The modularity is unmatched. They had some problems with the pads they were shipping stock a while back but thats old news. Mine are supper sick. My rear used to squeek for the first 2 weeks but now it doesn't. Actually that was pretty cool how it squeeked. It would get the hikers out of your way in a real hurry. In reality you can't go wrong with any good hydro system out there as long as the brakes don't tend to overheat. I've overheated shimanos but not my hayes or hopes. To me hopes feel a lot better than hayes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.