Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Trail Ninja
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have been biking for a while, a few months, a year, or several years, post how biking has changed you or how your biking has changed over time. Have your slimmed down your beer belly? Did you start racing big time? Did you progress from riding tame XC stuff to crazy FR stuff? Did you lose a few teeth or gained some really bad scars from biking related accidents? Have you picked up a bad habit on spending all your money on bikes? Did you change your life to revolve around bikes, such as start your own bike business?

I'll start off (prob not gonna be impressive, since I only have 1 year of true experience really):

Before: I found real trails about 1 year ago. I used to live in FL and overseas and primarily used my bike to commute, but this is the fit time I felt a need for knobby tires on dirt. The trails in NY were still soggy after snow melt and that blizzard late February did a lot of damage to the trees/trails. I then got really into it when I rode with some guys from Fats in the Cats and got fired up for gnarly stuff by the guys at Beacon Cycles.

After: I moved next winter to SoCal and got introduced to a lot of great folks that love riding. Here's one of the biggest group rides I participated in.

Attachments

·
Unpredictable
2,210 Posts
Cycling refreshes your mind and your body.

It is s hard though, answering this thread. More than 40 years ago I watched my sister take her first ride in front of Mum and Dad - straight off a 1.5m wall to flat concrete. I was loving my ride long before that happened.

Since then I have ridden some of the most beautiful places, loved a smallish number of bikes, given most away when I moved on, cause it just doesn't seem right to sell your friends, increased my skills, learned to love the solitude and company in the bush and I still think more about MTB than I have time for in reality.

If there was a picture of this story, it would be pretty f'n rad:cornut: :ciappa: :arf :drumroll: :band: :band: :band:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
robncircus said:
2nd from right:
did you really think you had to tell us which one you are (with the tattoos and all)? :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
The real journey to weight loss started in December of 09. Back in 2000 I weighed in close to 375lbs. At age 25 I had a list of complications one of them being sleep apnea. Lost about 100bs got off my breathing machine and was convinced that I was fine but still needing to lose additional weight. Time moved on my daughter was born in 05 and in December of 09 something hit me and 375lbs was staring to make its way back. Long story short My Wife and I made a commitment to ourselves and we were both done living the unhealthy lives we were living. Went to Weight Watchers and in September of 09 I had lost a total of 140lbs a grand total of 210lbs and my Wife lost 95lbs right by my side. Since than I have run a 1/2 Marathon, Climbed to the top of Mount Whitney and have just recently found the passion of riding. Mountain biking gives me all that I'm looking for. Time out doors, a great workout and that sense of accomplishment with the reward of bombing down the trail and I can't get enough of it :)

Before
Before and After 2.jpg
After
DSC04582.jpg
P1000154.jpg

·
Registered
464 Posts
Danny P said:
The real journey to weight loss started in December of 09. Back in 2000 I weighed in close to 375lbs. At age 25 I had a list of complications one of them being sleep apnea. Lost about 100bs got off my breathing machine and was convinced that I was fine but still needing to lose additional weight. Time moved on my daughter was born in 05 and in December of 09 something hit me and 375lbs was staring to make its way back. Long story short My Wife and I made a commitment to ourselves and we were both done living the unhealthy lives we were living. Went to Weight Watchers and in September of 09 I had lost a total of 140lbs a total of 210lbs and my Wife lost 95lbs right by my side. Since than I have run a 1/2 Marathon, Climbed to the top of Mount Whitney and have just recently found the passion of riding. Mountain biking gives me all that I'm looking for. Time out doors, a great workout and that sense of accomplishment with the reward of bombing down the trail and I can't get enough of it :)
You look great man well done. :thumbsup:

·
Purveyor of Trail Tales!
1,189 Posts
Big Props!

Danny P said:
Thanks! I feel great :)
Hey Mr. Danny P,

That is amazing!! Please don’t take this the wrong way…however with the loss in weight and the loss of the moustache I found it hard to see that the first picture and the last picture were taken of the same person.:eekster: That said, in the last shot you look to be way happier than you did in the first picture!!!;)

As the Aussie’s say: Good on Ya, Mate!!!

Take care,

Michael:thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Eville140 said:
You both Rock :yesnod:
Thanks!!
beagledadi said:
Wow Danny, good for you :thumbsup:

Matt
Thanks Matt!

picassomoon said:
Both of you did great, but Danny holy crap man! Hard to even believe that's the same person. Way to go.
Totally not the same person. I'm So Alive!

michaelsnead said:
Hey Mr. Danny P,

That is amazing!! Please don’t take this the wrong way…however with the loss in weight and the loss of the moustache I found it hard to see that the first picture and the last picture were taken of the same person.:eekster: That said, in the last shot you look to be way happier than you did in the first picture!!!;)

As the Aussie’s say: Good on Ya, Mate!!!

Take care,

Michael:thumbsup:
No offence taken. Yea, had to lose the stache LOL! Life started at age 35 so much happier can't even begin to explain.

Dan

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,331 Posts
Danny gets official thread spoiler rights. That is an awesome story, this country needs to hear more from folks like you. Enough of the TV weight loss shows, how about some real life stories with bikes, big hikes etc!

Make sure you let your kids know about it too, (not sure how old they were before the "transition"....) way too many fat kids out there, you can be a role model for their entire class, good on ya man, you look fantastic :thumbsup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great job to both of you! Isn't it amazing how much fitness can change your life? :thumbsup:

I went from 275 to 180 through MTB, road cycling, the gym, and good nutrition. I can do things now that I only dreamed of when I was big!

No pics handy, but I'll try and post up later tonight.

·
Rookie
255 Posts
No pictures, but i'll try. And I still have some years to come before I stop growing(or so they say).

Before: Was pretty chubby, snow skied and that was about it. I rode my brothers BMX (which he rarely rode) for transportation to and from the store and friends houses. Do not know ***** about bikes except changing tires/tubes and fine tuning V-brakes. Lazy.

After: A year older and wiser, skinnier, still ski, ride bike, dig dirt, hike, and occasionally work on cars. Me mum bought a bike for $5 at a garage sale. Supposedly $4-500 bike back when it was new, this thing had bald tires, you could SEE the nylon in the tires, and the knubbs on the side were mostly torn,single pivot, not sure on the length of the fork travel, looks to be 3 inches. Fix'd it for $75 at LBS(cables were POS [and still are], Missing cranks. Find a site that names the big manufactures of good bikes. Know a bit more about bikes. Come on here; realize WD-40 isn't oil for chain. Use all purpose oil (any tips for me?) Still don't have proper tools so I don't experiment.

Not really a good Before after, but I felt like posting in this thread

·
Green Wrencher
245 Posts
pointerDixie214 said:
That is awesome.

Danny- this story is very inspiring. :thumbsup:

Yea more stories like Danny and others who made the "change" in their lives is amazing. The diets are not the only reason America fights obesity, it's our attitude in general. Quick fix...pill or some fad.

Exercise, eating better and getting back to a more "natural" existence change lives.

Thanks Danny and anyone else who is "alive" again. We'd love to hear more about it and others too... It makes the sport and the rides that much more important having you there!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts