Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went in there today looking to buy my go-to affordable IPA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Wait, what's this?

There were six cases stacked up nearby with a note on each one saying they contained more than 24 beers (cans and bottles) for $14.98. I was about to spend $14 for 12, what the heck, I'll take a chance.

The beer guy that just made up the cases said "no peeking". There's an assortment, you takes your chances but there will be some micro brews in there. I asked "can you tell me if it's not just 24 PBR and brown ales?" He just smiled cryptically.

I chose which case to buy as scientifically as I could: I took the prettiest case.

At home my hands were shaking. This could be the best day of my life, or my neighbor (who will gladly drink anything) will suddenly find an orphan case o' brew on his doorstep.

OK, lessee:

3 PBR
2 Bush
1 Miller Genuine Draft
2 Coors Light
3 Bud Light
1 Bud something or other in a tall red can

So far not good. All these immediately go next door.

Ah, what we got here?

2 Samual Adams Boston Lager and Irish Red.
1 Red Stripe Lager (never had one)
2 Kokanee "Beer" from Canada. Hmmm....beer, huh?
2 Winter Fest from AC Golden Brewing Company out of Golden. Gonna drink these.
2 Guinness Draught. Sorry, I'm a Lion Stout kind of guy. Going next door.
1 Anderson Valley "Winter Solstice Season Ale".
1 Schoeling Original Cream Ale. I can't imagine what this tastes like.
1 ESB Special Ale.
1 Ska True Blond Ale.

Well, I took my chances and the guy next door comes up the winner. I get 11 for $15 that I may or may not like. Next time I'll just reach for the Torpedo. It was fun while it lasted, thinking about all that Great Divide and Avery IPAs inside the unopened case. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I started with the Winterfest and :yikes: great stuff. I poured the requested 2 inch head. Don't really know what kind it is but I'm buying this next time I'm in the store. :thumbsup: I hope the rest are as good as this.

(a little early in the day for me but, hey, I'm doing taxes)

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
IMO you got shafted.
I'm with you on this.

"Guaranteed good quality"

Whatever that means. For some, pigs eye is good quality beer.

I'd also take the 12 pack of something else--like the torpedo he originally went for., = less calories per taste unit.

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,767 Posts
xcguy said:
I went in there today looking to buy my go-to affordable IPA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Wait, what's this?

There were six cases stacked up nearby with a note on each one saying they contained more than 24 beers (cans and bottles) for $14.98. I was about to spend $14 for 12, what the heck, I'll take a chance.

The beer guy that just made up the cases said "no peeking". There's an assortment, you takes your chances but there will be some micro brews in there. I asked "can you tell me if it's not just 24 PBR and brown ales?" He just smiled cryptically.

I chose which case to buy as scientifically as I could: I took the prettiest case.

At home my hands were shaking. This could be the best day of my life, or my neighbor (who will gladly drink anything) will suddenly find an orphan case o' brew on his doorstep.

OK, lessee:

3 PBR
2 Bush
1 Miller Genuine Draft
2 Coors Light
3 Bud Light
1 Bud something or other in a tall red can

So far not good. All these immediately go next door.

Ah, what we got here?

2 Samual Adams Boston Lager and Irish Red.
1 Red Stripe Lager (never had one)
2 Kokanee "Beer" from Canada. Hmmm....beer, huh?
2 Winter Fest from AC Golden Brewing Company out of Golden. Gonna drink these.
2 Guinness Draught. Sorry, I'm a Lion Stout kind of guy. Going next door.
1 Anderson Valley "Winter Solstice Season Ale".
1 Schoeling Original Cream Ale. I can't imagine what this tastes like.
1 ESB Special Ale.
1 Ska True Blond Ale.

Well, I took my chances and the guy next door comes up the winner. I get 11 for $15 that I may or may not like. Next time I'll just reach for the Torpedo. It was fun while it lasted, thinking about all that Great Divide and Avery IPAs inside the unopened case. :rolleyes:
The house next door to me just went up for sale!:D

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"Truth in advertising" should have meant they'd labeled this as a trainer case of brew for the hard core Coors Light drinker who was looking to dip his toe into the wild and exotic world of micro brews, but with a fall back amount of PBR and the like to once again quaff the familiar.

Me: (sipping a Torpedo) "Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about, real beer taste"

Hard core light beer drinker: (sipping a Torpedo) spits out the beer, "yuck, what is this *****? How can you drink this hoppy crap?" Reaches for a Busch.

Me: (sipping a Busch) spits out the first sip "Yuck, what is this barely flavored water? Do people actually drink this stuff?"

Hard core light beer drinker: (sipping a Busch) "Ah, real beer taste!"

And so it goes.

·
Registered
744 Posts
xcguy said:
"Truth in advertising" should have meant they'd labeled this as a trainer case of brew for the hard core Coors Light drinker who was looking to dip his toe into the wild and exotic world of micro brews, but with a fall back amount of PBR and the like to once again quaff the familiar.

Me: (sipping a Torpedo) "Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about, real beer taste"

Hard core light beer drinker: (sipping a Torpedo) spits out the beer, "yuck, what is this *****? How can you drink this hoppy crap?" Reaches for a Busch.

Me: (sipping a Busch) spits out the first sip "Yuck, what is this barely flavored water? Do people actually drink this stuff?"

Hard core light beer drinker: (sipping a Busch) "Ah, real beer taste!"

And so it goes.
Funny, I can enjoy either... I am a Gemini though.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For those of you who enjoy all kinds equally, this case I bought would have brought a smile to your mug. "Ah, Busch...and Coors LIght, oohhhh yummmmm...and Samuel Adams, oh yeah. Great buy." No accounting for taste, I say. My neighbors said "hey man, thanks for the brew!"

Actually, if the case had been split evenly between Busch and Fat Tire and Hazed/Infused I'd have given the entire case to my neighbor. I could have sworn my xray vision revealed IPAs from Great Divide, Stone, Avery, Victory and Dogfish Head in there. My xray vision must be going :cool:

They also had their Sunday specials working, this time on some 2005 California Merlot for the low low price of $2.98 and it's pretty good. And these guys have a micro brew selection par excellence, including a ton of Lost Abbey.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
bedell99 said:
I think its a crime to give away to give away Guinness unless you give it to me.

Erik
Would you take it if it was old and kept in a warm closet? Those might have been.

I think Guinness is like Harley Davidson and Apple. I don't I need to need to explain why.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.