Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching through many threads on mtbr regarding the BEER components EBB, I realized that everyone is using different shim configurations on their bikes depending on the bb width, crankset brand, and frame type. Jim from BEER components is usually pretty responsive to emails and can answer questions for you in a timely manner, but I noticed there is still some variation on people's spacer configurations despite having spoken to him.

The installation instructions on their website say to simply put a shim on either side of the BB - these instructions seem to not apply to all bikes so a lot of people are usually confused when they receive their EBB with a bunch of spacers.

If anyone who has a BEER EBB could post up:
1) Model Beer Comp EBB (PF30, BB30)
2) Width of BB shell (68mm, 73mm)
3) Crankset
4) How many spacers on the driveside (DS) versus non-drive side (NDS). There are "thick" spacers (1mm) and "thin" spacers (0.5mm).

Figured this could possibly serve as a resource for people installing their BEER EBBs in the future.

My setup:
1) BB30
2) 73mm
3) SRAM XX1 GXP
4) DS 2mm of shims (2 thick), NDS 2mm of shims (1 thick, 2 thin)
Jim from BEER Comp originally suggested that I run 1.5mm of shims on the NDS, but when I couldn't get rid of any side-to-side play in the crank, he suggested I add another 0.5mm to the NDS. That seemed to work just fine.

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
1) BB30
2) 68mm
3) XTR M970
4) The only spacer I have is the pinch bolt on the non-drive side of my XTRs I have no other spacers, Jim said I did not need any with a Shimano setup. I do think shims are only required for the SRAM dudes.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have a BEER Ebb but it is not currently installed in a frame.

The problem is actually pretty simple. Measure the gap from the inner edge of the crankarms the the chainstays, seat tube, and downtube. Adjust the spacers so the gaps measured for the left crank match the gap measured for the right crank.

When the cranks are properly mounted all three reference measurements should match and there should be no play in the bottom bracket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.