Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want a new carbon 29er in 140-150mm travel to drop but I don't see that happening anytime soon so I've been eyeing these great deals on Carbon Wardens. $2100 for carbon with DB inline coil? Tempting!

Bicycle part Line Font Orange Black

·
Registered
10,021 Posts

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Stick a 29er fork/front wheel on it and go mullet? ;)
Ha ha. That might be awesome! It's all the rage now.
Although part of the temptation with the Warden is that everything from my Endo would swap over which would help keep the price down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I still am not convinced it HAS to be carbon. This article from NSMB last year put into writing a lot of good info......

https://nsmb.com/articles/duelling-knolly-wardens-final-verdicts/
I agree. In fact my aluminum Endo has been just fine...better in some ways. The only thing that makes me desire the Warden C is the (slightly) lighter weight, better gnar capability, and cool factor. I think with the same parts it'd weigh almost same as my Endo.

·
Banned
747 Posts
I agree. In fact my aluminum Endo has been just fine...better in some ways. The only thing that makes me desire the Warden C is the (slightly) lighter weight and cool factor. I think with the same parts it'd weigh almost same as my Endo.

Fug rides 10x better than the Warden. Just wish the Fug was carbon.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
10x better? As in actually 10x faster on trail? Or more of a subjective red bull rampage scoring 10x better?
IME it is faster. I reckon it's down to the longer wheelbase and big wheels. We are talking about a few % points though, not 10X.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Chormag 19 when you say you road the warden and both frames for the past 3 years and you prefer the Fugitive I'm curious as to your riding prefrences and style because I'm trying to decide between the Carbon Warden and Fugitive with the current sale. Are you primarily a trail rider with limited freeride involved or do you still do both? Thanks any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have been riding a Carbon Warden for the last year or so (and an alloy warden before that) and I couldn't be happier with it. It is the perfect bike for the type of riding I like to do (mostly steep and technical trails on the north shore, squamish, and whistler). The Warden seems to have the perfect balance between manouverability to steer around stuff, and straight-line plowing ability. I just love the way this bike handles rider input on steep janky trails. The geometry feels so centered and lets you keep your weight over the front wheel without feeling like you are going over the bars. I also find that it climbs just fine, which is important to me since I pedal up on most of my rides. I am sure the Fugitive is an awesome bike. I actually tried one briefly, but not really long enough to form an opinion. I see one in my future at some point, but I may just wait for the carbon version. In the meantime I will happily ride my Warden.

·
Registered
14,884 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the Carbon Warden and Fugitive with the current sale.
A carbon Warden would make a very nice do everything all mountain ride. You could size up and/or put a works component headset in it to modernize the geo a bit if that's desired. The carbon Warden frame is ~1.6lbs lighter than the Fug so you can build up a pretty light build if that's you jam or a burly build and end up at a moderate overall weight instead of getting into the heavyweight range.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I rode a Warden C for almost two years before switching to the Fugitive LT in november. I lean more towards steep and technical vs jumps and freeride, but I do jump the bike quite a bit. I tend to move the bike a lot on the trail and pop it off roots and things like that.

The warden C is a little more playful, it's lighter and shorter wheelbase which helps with that. the fugitive can be a little on the heavier side (mine is).

The fugitive is a faster bike, it loses less speed over trail chatter. it also climbs a little better than the Warden C, which was already a really good climber. I think you're just in a better position and the 29ers also help. the suspension kinematics also seem to be tuned for a little more pedaling efficiency.

All in all, they are both great bikes, and very capable, I ride them both everywhere, bike parks, all day epics, shot after work laps. You really can't go wrong with a knolly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.