Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll post the one photo I took today at Bootleg Canyon. Oh yeah, It was freaking cold around here today for us sun drenched desert rats. The temp on the way out said 27 degrees and on the way back to town afterward said 34 degrees. With to 10-15mph north wind --- it was downright nippy.

So in our 9 mile out and back on Mother, up West Leg and the Down Girl Scout ride I only took one photo of the guys regrouping in a protected area. Did I mention that it was cold today? :eek:

mbb

ps. One nice thing about riding today. The parking lot at Bootleg was mostly empty!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
I was just thinking about posting something here because it has been so slow. THanks Matt. Looks like a good ride.

Tell me about cold. It never got over 10 deg here today. It's minus 6 as I type this. I rode the trainer........again.:madmax: I'll be looking forward to some balmy 35 degree weather next weekend when I come down.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
It`s been REALLY slow for any Reno-Carson posts. Weather wise, we`re in between, here in Reno. Luckily, my days off have been the "nice" days and all the crappier weather has been when I was working anyway. Don`t know how that happened, but it`s gonna happen again because my week is done in five hours and the forecast for the next few days looks much better than the last few have been.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
I did manage to get in a 11 mile ride just before the cold got here. Since then, the only thing Ive managed to do outside was run out to the mailbox and back

·
Registered
517 Posts
I broke my wrist a few weeks ago on snakeback. I was going to go to take some pics of some DHillers this weekend, but yeah, bootleg was cold. I checked the weather before I went at it said 32 with 10mph winds. Maybe next weekend. Hey Matt, if you want some pics snapped of you or your buddies on a weekend, let me know. I'm off the bike for at least a month so I thought snapping pics was a good way to stay in the "game". No fancy camera, but it takes some good pics.

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
I'm putting my full suspension bike back together today. Saved myself some dough and managed to repair my stripped out XT crank. The dust cap is never coming off again though. :D

I'll be out there next weekend, probably in the blue diamond/cottonwood area. My other passion, weightlifting, has been taking up my athletic hobby time lately so I'm sure my endurance will be ****. But it should be warm and my knees love that.

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
big_slacker said:
Saved myself some dough and managed to repair my stripped out XT crank. The dust cap is never coming off again though. :D
How did you manage that? One guy on the Mexico forum had a helicoil put into his (stout DH crank, but I don`t remember what model)- I was surprised that they make Helicoils for those threads. Must have been the right side, but even so....

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Brrrrrrrrrrrr...

It's cold all right. I was outside Sunday morning at 10 in my garage, when I realized that my hands were freezing while holding a hot cup of coffee. I got curious and sprayed some water from a hose in my garage onto some plants along the side of the building and made icicles on the plants. At 10 am !
We also have a lot of broken pipes around here, because people didn't wrap them up like the National Weather Service said to do.
I wrapped mine up though and haven't had a problem.
I would go riding, but I can't deal with the cold and the wind together.

Later, Eric

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
rodar y rodar said:
How did you manage that? One guy on the Mexico forum had a helicoil put into his (stout DH crank, but I don`t remember what model)- I was surprised that they make Helicoils for those threads. Must have been the right side, but even so....
The problem was twofold. Damaged threads on the inside of the crankarm that the dustcap screws in to, and the inner hex area that you use to actually loosen the arm was stripped. I put the screwdriver bit into one of the two little holes on the cap, held it at an angle and hit it till it turned slightly. Repeated over about half an hour. Basically forced it to dig new threads.

Then I had to hammer an oversized hex wrench down in to the stripped portion enough to get a grip. A little tugging to get the wrench back out and then using the same hex wrench and quite a bit of force I managed to break it loose.

Quite a bit of labor but worth $175 bucks. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.