Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum and am currently pissed off at my bike for the chain breaking and me having to hike out in the mud today.
I have a trek 4700 and this isn't the first time this has happened!! The only explanation I have is I am too heavy for it.
So my question is What are several bikes that are about 1000 range (lower the better but I want quality) that are super beefy and tough? I like hardtails but I would consider a soft. I don't think I have the mental capabilities of building one either.
My dimensions are 6'00" 190# (on a good day)
Is there such a thing??
If not give me some ideas that are good bikes
Thanks
Luke

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention I ride everything from pavement to downhill. Would rather have the build of a downhill for the strength. I also do a lot of drops so if that narrows it down...
To me it seems like I need a full suspension but I hate to pay the prce...

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
fwiw I'm probably 200# loaded up, and 6'3 and and I've never broken a chain, I run a sram 1X9 with some sort of sram chain, with the power link...

I wouldn't go blaming the bike just yet...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i understand.. sorta This isn't the first time ive broke something on the drivetrain and the third time ive broken the chain. Its becoming expensive to deal with so I want to get a heavier duty bike. (also just another reason to get another bike ya know?)

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
If you really want to buy a beefy hardtail, then by all means go over to the AM forum and check out the bikes in this thread.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=279265
anything under 1500 for a full susser is generally a bad idea, so if you really want a new bike, look at a AM hardtail. But I wouldn't reccomend that, 190 isn't even in the lower end of clydesdale status, so it isn't your weight that is destroying your drivetrain. Proper maintenance and shifting technique will save your chain. How long did your chain go before it broke? chains usually last around 100 miles before they start stretching, and if you are riding in muddy or sandy conditions, not even that! Make sure after every offroad ride you at least wipe your chain down, and if you have the time, pull the chain off (power link helps here) and soak it in citrus solvent, dry it really good, and apply some lube that is well suited to your conditions, muddy, sandy, dry, w/e. Let it settle into the chain for about 10-20 min, then wipe off the excess lube and put it back on the bike. this will keep your chain going strong for a long time. Also try your hardest to avoid shifting under load, if you do this on any regular basis, you might as well just destroy your chain before you leave home. remember to shift before you need the gear you are shifting into, unless you are racing, it is better to get off your bike, shift, and get back on to finish the climb, then to shift under full torque. Another idea if you would be willing to try it out, go SS. a well built SS drivetrain with a dedicated chain is basically indestructable. but then again if you really really want to use this as an excuse for a new bike, check out the bikes in the thread I posted above. banshee scirrocco, Addict cycles, etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was my first ride on it this season just after walking out of the shop for my season tune. Also a brand new chain with about 20 miles on it.(most of those were pavement also)

·
Jesus loved the dinosaurs
360 Posts
I agree with b4. Your chain break has more to do with chain maintenance and shifting technique, than bike durability. Keep your chain clean, well lubricated and don't shift under tension, and your chain should last you a season.
I use an XT chain, and am 6', 230lbs., ride 3-4 times a week, and can get a full season (including winter) of riding out of one chain.

·
Registered
141 Posts
if its just the chain/drive train

No amount of $$ or design bike is going to fix those issues.

All use the same spec as far as 9 speed chains.. the SRAM 951 is basic chain is about as strong as an SRAM 991 ... as far as drive train.. heck light strong cheap pick 2 you still will not stop breaking chains if everything is not set up right and you are using proper shifting techniques.

SS will be tougher. HT or FS wont matter unless things are not set up right. Again a maint issue not a tougher/burlier issue,

You should be able to get WAY more than 100 miles on a chain. With proper shifting, set up and maint. I have about 200 on my new chain in the last 5 weeks with no noticeable stretch or shifting issues.

Good luck

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
If you really want a bike that you won't destroy no matter what, get a Specialized P1. It is a Single Speed dirt jumping rig if you break anything doing what you say you are doing then I am stumped. You may just have that magic touch that some people have with destroying bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.