Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Big Boy
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys recommend as a beefy 29er for a 250 pound guy.

I am looking at the RIP and Rumblefish, but the stumpy has more rear travel than both of them. I just never really thought of the stumpy as a beefy "all mountain" bike.

I am looking for a third bike for the stable. I have a rigid 29er and a hardtail 29er. So I want something for 3 foot drops at a max. I am also considering a 26er because I love Yeti bikes especially the 575. I just dont know If i can go back to a 26 inch wheel.

As for now the RIP and the stumpy are my favorite, just dont know if the stumpy can handle my big arse on a 3 foot drop. Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I outweigh you by almost 50 and ride a RIP. It's burly and laterally completely stiff. Sturdiest mountain bike I've ever ridden. It also has a plush, bottomless feel on the travel. It has less than my old Ibis Mojo and feels like more.

The front/rear Maxle helps a lot for a big dude - I don't feel any horizontal play in the rear. I'd recommend getting a bike with the rear Maxle regardless of the brand, actually - especially at your size.

Get a good wheel build too, I recommend the MikeSee MTX33 deal. Those wheels are stronger than my 26er Mavic 819s.

No experience on the Stumpy. Hope this helps.

·
turtles make me hot
11,664 Posts
I weigh 260 and I ride a Stumpy. I don't do big drops. The bike has been ok, I did break my 08 frame. Spec said it was a heat treat issue. Whatever, I haven't broken the replacement yet.
I was popping spokes out of the rear wheel every ride. I relaced the original wheel with heavier spokes and it's been ok, but I just recently replaced the wheels with Salsa Gordos with 36 spkes and believe I've found a bulletproof combo.

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you like the RIP why not look into a WFO? It is a great bike and it is the first frame that I haven't broken within a 3 month time frame (going on 7 months now). I have the 150mm maxle rear end and there is no flex at all, great climber as well. It can handle all the drops you can throw at it. I'm 6'9'' 230lbs BTW.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.