Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the beefiest 100mm travel fork for 29 inch wheels with boost spacing? I'm a big guy and my bluto isn't going to cut it any longer. Even the Fox 34 I rode on a demo bike didn't seem good enough.

·
Registered
Digit Datum
346 Posts
One simple solution might be the RockShox Yari RC 29+, which is listed with a 100mm travel option.

A more thorough answer is, that: it's not too difficult to reduce the travel on most any fork, so if you truly want the beefiest, it's likely a Fox 40 or other dual-crown. That's probably even beefier than you're looking for but the same is true for most forks, though you may need to be a little creative at finding a non-stock size air shaft (e.g. putting a Pike air shaft in a Lyrik chassis), or comfortable cutting and threading the air shaft.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One simple solution might be the RockShox Yari RC 29+, which is listed with a 100mm travel option.

A more thorough answer is, that: it's not too difficult to reduce the travel on most any fork, so if you truly want the beefiest, it's likely a Fox 40 or other dual-crown. That's probably even beefier than you're looking for but the same is true for most forks, though you may need to be a little creative at finding a non-stock size air shaft (e.g. putting a Pike air shaft in a Lyrik chassis), or comfortable cutting and threading the air shaft.
I'd be content with a Fox 36. Are you saying I can reduce the travel in the 36 to 100 with an air shaft swap?

·
Registered
Digit Datum
346 Posts
I’m not intimately familiar with the 36, but Sebastacruz suggestion of the 831 air shaft is where I’d look first. If you’ve not modified forks before, I’m sure any competent suspension service shop would confirm which parts are compatible, source them and do this for you. If they don’t know how to do this when you ask, it’s a sign they they’re not competent.

·
Mr. Member
117 Posts
As a Clyde rider myself, something to consider... If you take a designed long-travel fork, such as the RS Yari with 35mm stanchions and lower the travel by replacing the air spring with a shorter one, this increases the strength and lessens flex of the fork since more stanchion tube is inside the lower due to the shorter air spring.

For example, I took a 160mm RS Yari and put the 120mm DebonAir air spring in it. RS designed the Yari to handle flex to over 160mm, so if more tube is inside the lower due to the 120mm air spring, my fork now has more contact area in the lower, giving it less flex than if it was at 160mm.

To my Clyde self, that is a good thing! More meat to carry my meat...

Rmpl

·
This place needs an enema
17,076 Posts
I'm not sure the air spring in a 36 was designed to go down to 100mm. Will need tweaking.

Also, since the OP mentioned he's on a Bluto, I think he's probably looking for a Mastodon. Night and day difference in the chassis stiffness of those two forks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.