Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried this stuff a few times, never really thought much of it. The other day a fellow co-worker had some 'sweet & spicey' beef jerky. This was fantastic - not too sweet, not too spicey. I picked me some up - my lunch was beef jerky & an apple. Anyone have a favorite? A snack food, trail food, lunch time?????

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
trek7100 said:
I've tried this stuff a few times, never really thought much of it. The other day a fellow co-worker had some 'sweet & spicey' beef jerky. This was fantastic - not too sweet, not too spicey. I picked me some up - my lunch was beef jerky & an apple. Anyone have a favorite? A snack food, trail food, lunch time?????
Beef jerkey has saved my ass several times on the trail. It's compact, yet it sticks with me and keeps me going for several more miles if I'm bonking.

I gotta have it fairly soft, though, none of that hard, stale sh!t for me. I also need to carry a toothpick to get those pieces out from between my teeth afterwards.

Some brands say on the package if it's soft, and now I've seen low salt versions for people watching their sodium intake.

fp

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I rate it highly as a trail snack, carry it most of my longer rides.....

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
I make my own.
Going to be slicing up a roast in a couple of days to make a batch for a week-long canoe trip 2nd week of July.

michael

·
Registered
111 Posts
I pretty well despise packaged stuff. The best jerky I've ever had is made at Bear Creek Farms a lil hole in the wall place. Sadly they stopped making it a few years ago, I need to check and see if they've started it up again, it was really popular around here.

·
Fat Biker
426 Posts
I used to love Double B brand jerky until they started using monosodium glutimate as a preservative. Most of the packaged brand jerky's use it so that it will have a longer shelf life but it makes the meat taste slimy and your fingers greasy. Fortunately you'll never have a problem with constipation so long as you have a bag nearby. I wonder how many brands actually use 100& beef and not assorted cow parts. I read the label on one brand and it contained chicken hearts. What the hell is chicken heart doing in beef jerky?? That's like having pig in my kosher hotdog.

My current favorite is from Millers Processing in Llano, Tx. They vacuum seal their meat as soon as it's ready so when you open the bag it's super fresh. The stuff costs quite a bit but it's more than worth it. It's a shame you can't buy any outside of Llano but if you call them I'm sure they'll send it to you. We have a hunting lease near Llano and even though I'm not all that crazy about hunting I jump at any chance to hit Millers.

Soccerdude

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.