Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, kids wanted to go camping for a few days while i'm still on holidays. Convinced the wife to go to Beechworth and managed to get permission to bring the bike. We will only be there for a couple of days so I'd say I'll only manage one ride.

Looking for any tips, where to ride, best tracks to try, distances, I'll be solo so hopefully nothing too remote. Any info appreciated. Maybe any links to maps of the area.

Cheers, hope you can help.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
588 Posts
The MTB Park is a must. I haven't been thre in a few years but it is great. Its only a shortish loop (5-8k or something like that), but it will keep you entertained for a few hours at least.

There are some other trails around such as the Woolshed DH (not a full on DH track as far as I know) but they have dissapeared from the Chaingang website as they were not 100% leagal. As far as I know it still exisist, its just that the club is not promoting it.

If you are up for a drive there are some trail at Yackandandah. They start at the sports oval. Dont know how much is there as ive only ridden there as part of a race.

There was a book of rides which you could buy, but I dont know if they are still available.

Hope this helps.

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
If you have one ride do the MTB park. It's just on the edge of town. Follow the xc loop, it's well signposted and has a few A and B lines in places. I think you'll find it's one of the best rides you have ever done. I'd say it's more like 8km+ if you do the extra loop out the back. 2 loops and you'll be cactus.
The Woolshed track is an xc friendly shuttle. A little hard to find though. I think the issue with it is that the top section is on private/semi-private land.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks guys. looking forward to it. Im going to try a Wednesday arvo ride, Thursday morning and if I can do some sweet talking, possibly a Friday morning before we leave to come home. I'll try to make the most of the opportunity. Id say Id stick to the park which seems pretty close to town.

Should spend some time with the wife and kids though, it is supposed to be a family holiday.:rolleyes: They want to do some horse riding, while Im riding ( Im scared of the buggers) so hopefully all will work out.

I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers

·
Registered
588 Posts
sicwombat said:
Havent put in the application to the minister of war, fianance and travel as yet. Three is my aim, let the grovelling begin !:nono:
You could always try waking up early and start anoying her while she is trying to sleep, then when she is annoyed at you say "I could go for a ride", then she should tell you to go for one, just so she can get some sleep,:thumbsup: Has worked for me;)

Enjoy the trails, I use to ride there about 4 or 5 times a year, its great!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, back from Beechworth. Managed three rides. First one was Wed. arvo about an hour after we arrived. Sent the kids and wife to the pool, i went for a ride. Probably a mistake as it was 35 degrees up there and very dry. Managed to get lost down the back side "extra loop" Spent 1 1/2 hrs trying to get back to the car. Managed to drink 3 litres of water in that time. Dont think I've ever sweated that much before. Actually felt rather dizzy and dehydrated once I finally got back. Was a good intro though and it was a good lesson on where to explore and where not to. Did around 11 kms and apart from the extreme heat and the getting lost part, was alot of fun. Very rocky and technical in alot of parts with good flowy sections.

Thursday morning went out early, alot cooler and the family was still in bed. Felt much better and with a bit of "local" knowledge:rolleyes: had a ball ripping up the tracks. Did quite a few laps of the same area and mixed in a bit of the downhill tracks as well. Got more and more confident with the terrain. Spent around 1 1/2 hrs again but this time covered alot more distance and had alot more fun. Cleared alot of rocky sections that I had trouble with the day before. Ended up having to go back as the wife wanted to drive to Bright, Hotham and Buffalo for a bit of a road trip. Could have spent alot more time there as i was feeling quite good. Did get in trouble as it was, as i got back a bit later than i had said and they were waiting for me.:madmax:

A bit of sweet talking and the fact that I didnt complain too much about the epic journey the day before, got me another leave pass for this morning before we had to check out at 10am. I did have to be back by 8am though, to help pack, so i headed out early. Great weather again and nice, crisp morning air. Spent another hour or so, enjoying the many flowing tracks and tricky rocky sections.

Overall, fantastic trails. Very quiet though. No other cars in the carpark and nobody else seen on the tracks. Good and bad I suppose. The freeride section seemed in need of a bit of maintenance, with many of the manmade bits needing repair. I may have missed alot of those sections though. The jumps track was fun, but I'm a bit of a girl when it comes to those big jumps and berms. Did get a little air, but wasnt going too hard. If you like rocks, Beechworth is the place for you.

I have taken a few of those dodgy videos which i will try to post up soon. Being a bit more flowy with a few less tight corners seems to have improved the quality in some sections, but dont expect too much.

Cheers

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh crap he is, must be some long lost parasitic twin i didnt know about:eekster: Thought I was carrying a bit of extra weight lately.

As for the videos, The quality seems to drop once i upload them to youtube.:madman: They are alot clearer and less pixelated when I view them in my camera album on the computer. Im pretty crap when it comes to computers, not sure if there is a better way.

By the way, Ive got the bug for road trips. Trying to plan a 'family' holiday to Canberra next.:D

Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am jealous! My ride on the weekend was to the playground with the kids... better than nothing:rolleyes:
Beechworth MTB park is great! Gotta get back there!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hud said:
If you have one ride do the MTB park. It's just on the edge of town. Follow the xc loop, it's well signposted and has a few A and B lines in places. I think you'll find it's one of the best rides you have ever done. I'd say it's more like 8km+ if you do the extra loop out the back. 2 loops and you'll be cactus.
The Woolshed track is an xc friendly shuttle. A little hard to find though. I think the issue with it is that the top section is on private/semi-private land.
Hi Guys,

The Woolshed Trail is all good and rideable and no longer goes through private property like it did a few years ago. It's not on the Beechworth Chain Gang club's site because it's not 'official' even though it gets ridden and is well known amongts mtb'ers.

Cheers, Paul

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.