Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Typical Anti-Mountain Biking Hit Piece

Hey Roger:

I too read the article in the Bee this morning. It was slanted, one-sided and full of inaccuracies. It had the flavor of being written following an interview with the horse/hiker group giving no consideration to reality or the mountain biking community. After riding thousands of miles through the Auburn State Recreation Area over the years, I can think of only one real altercation I have had. It involved a horsewomen who simply did not like mountain bikers. It didn't help I told her to kiss my :ciappa:

The moral of the story is to be a mountain bike ambassador whenever you encounter a hiker or equestrian...smile, wave, say good morning, etc. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
It's the Sacramento Bee. Since they quit including the TV guide unless you pay extra the only thing left worth opening the paper for is the comics section or the editorial page, and that only as they are interchangeable.

·
Tre1nt
419 Posts
Here's the comment I posted:

The lead for this story makes it clear that it should be read as an opinion piece, not news reporting:

"All the signage in the world won't stop some mountain bikers from zooming down trails, weaving among the hikers and horses, critics say."

Critics say? An unattributed source makes a blanket statement with obvious bias ... and that's how you introduce the topic of trail conflicts? Pathetic.

Studies funded and published by U.S. National Park Service states that mountain biking has similar impacts to hiking, and generally less impact to trails than horse travel. A bit of online research would have provided a better citation than the 1995 New Zealand study mentioned in the story.

Assessing and Understanding Trail Degradation: Results from Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area
-- 2006. by Jeffrey L. Marion. Published by the U.S. National Park Service, this state-of-the-art report examines the trail impacts of different user groups.

·
time to climb
239 Posts
"It doesn't matter if you get bloody in the process"? . . . what, no story behind the source on this quote? Does this mean all MTBrs now carrying machettes to clear the way? WTF? This rush to judgment one-sided knee-jerk journalism passes as typical for the Bee. The hack that wrote this article belongs at the Bee because no reputable news organization would print it.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I'll usually defend these types of articles and the reporters that write them but not this one. Very poorly written lead and I'm not really sure what the story is to begin with. It's just a collection of quotes really. I did think it was funny that the "hiker/conservationist" dude's name was "Shuttleworth".

·
Registered
705 Posts
I actually didn't think it was that bad of an article. Slanted? Yes, every article is biased. One sided? Don't think so, they did interview Tom Ward.

You do realize that the link Roger posted was to page 2 of the article?

Page 1
Page 2

I just wish that there was some recognition to the amount of work that FATRAC and others have done in working on trails like the FDLT.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,550 Posts
Yeah page one is really non-biased:

It wasn't the first time he'd had a dangerous encounter with a mountain biker on that trail, which ironically was built by volunteers from a mountain bike group, the Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Action Coalition.
I love the way the word "ironic" has degraded to be some vague meaningless filler word. I guess it's ironic that they are complaining about mountain biking on a mountain biking trail.

One reason for the rancor could be generational.

Miloslavich: "Ninety percent of mountain bikers are male and young, and they're out there for the thrill and adrenaline rush. But 90 percent of equestrians are female and older, and are out there to enjoy nature."
They really hit a homerun here with their fact checking, because ALL the mountain bikers I know are young punk 21 year olds... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
0gre said:
They really hit a homerun here with their fact checking, because ALL the mountain bikers I know are young punk 21 year olds... :rolleyes:
It struck me that the quotes from Miloslavich could have come straight from our old pal Mike v.

The reader comments the article is getting seem to overall be quite rational and critical of the article.

·
It's about showing up.
12,537 Posts
I am so tired of this

I am going to take a break from it. Contributing to the comments? I'll give it a pass for now. Trailuser has soiled the issue and there is nowhere to go with content like that. It does sound like Mike V and he is just a.....nevermind. :madman:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I would like to know how the "horseman" knows what type of trail a mountain biker wants. My first choice would not be a 6-8 foot wide dirt road. The 90% of mtn bikers are 20somethings geeked up on Red Bull vision that they have is way off base as well. They just come off as ignorant with statements like that to us who know who we are and what we want, but thier statements get taken as gospel to the average reader who dosen't know better. We just have to keep proving them wrong by being the courtious and responsible trail users that the majority of us are.

·
Registered
959 Posts
''You guys are multiplying at a faster rate than we are. We aren't giving birth to kids anymore.''

...and utterly hilarious to me also. More Zombies a'comin'.

As for this guy Shuttleworth-

Jay Shuttleworth, the former BLM official, says trails groomed for mountain bikes impede "the natural feel of the landscape."

"Historically, there have not been 6- to 8-foot-wide hiking paths through the North Fork wild and scenic corridor," he adds. "Mountain bikers would like that. The nature of mountain biking requires broadly graded routes, and some sensitive areas in the Sierra don't need that."

Picking at random now...

"We've had these trails for the last 100 years with extremely few problems," says Jaede Miloslavich, a Recreational Trail Advisory committee member and horsewoman. "Within the last 10 years, we're having extreme problems. These mountain bikers … go fast and hard, and it doesn't matter if you get bloody in the process."

Oh wait, there were infamous Timmen brothers in 1914, and then the Auburn Dam I guess.

Pretty sad, (Poor article too).

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Derek

Didn't realize I sent from page 2...thanks for clarifying.

Still a typical stereotyping of user groups.

And only one real brief discussion of collaboration by user groups and it was buried.

derek said:
I actually didn't think it was that bad of an article. Slanted? Yes, every article is biased. One sided? Don't think so, they did interview Tom Ward.

You do realize that the link Roger posted was to page 2 of the article?

Page 1
Page 2

I just wish that there was some recognition to the amount of work that FATRAC and others have done in working on trails like the FDLT.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe the article should have read Political Advertisement

Michael G. last year was running for the Sierra Club board.....probably running again this year.
http://nevada.sierraclub.org/gbgroup/pdfs/trails/08/0809DJ/TT0809DJ_1-2B.pdf

You can also find his so called "friends of the canyon" comments on the Placer County report with regard to the trail proposal from Clementine to Ponderosa way near Foresthill.

Roger___ said:
typical stereotyping. Didn't mention the other 100 interactions on any given weekend were there is significant respect and courtesy shown. ughh.

http://www.sacbee.com/livinghere/st...ment_submitted&qwxq=266467#Comments_Container

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
While the article was horrible at best, it does reflect the view of that particular section of the trail community, they are kind of like the far right or left sections of our political parties, the numbers are few, but they are loud and vocal and have the ability to sway policy.

As a resident of Foresthill, a frequent user of all the trails in the ASRA system and a member of the Trails Advisory Group at both Folsom and Auburn, I have heard all of this before, in fact everyone who is mentioned or quoted in the article is a fervent anti mountain bike advocate, they could not have written a more slanted piece. Tom Ward is quoted as well, but he is just used in the story as an apologist.

I will say this though, there is a problem out there, if you don't believe it you are sticking your head in the sand. The vast majority of my interactions with non cycling trail users is really positive, but then I ride knowing I am not the only one using the trail. I personally have been run into 3 times by bikes on the FDLT, 3 TIMES! That doesn't count the number of times I have been brushed , forced to the far outer reaches of the trail, made to stop or just plain witnessed rude behavior. I won't ride anywhere near that trail on a weekend, I'm just setting myself up to be disappointed in the very trail user group I have spent a very long time fighting for. I would imagine it's not much better in the Granite Bay area either since I have witnessed some pretty horrible manners in bikers there as well.

If we, as a community are having a hard time time convincing those of us who have fought for access to trails on our behalf that we are a worthy cause, what does that say about the views of those who would oppose us. Something to ponder on your Friday:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.