Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there. need to clear up something: Avid brake pads break in instructions says to do ~20 stops at medium speed and ~10more at high. got that part,but do u press both levers at the same time or do it for each break separate?
thanx...

·
DFMBA.org
1,874 Posts
I've done it twice (bed in) and squeezed both levers evenly. Don't come to a stop btw, just slow. I credit the bed in procedure with keeping the brakes quiet on trails. Even ride in rain yesterday and they were silent.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I've done it twice (bed in) and squeezed both levers evenly. Don't come to a stop btw, just slow. I credit the bed in procedure with keeping the brakes quiet on trails. Even ride in rain yesterday and they were silent.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
+1

I feel that many of the people who complain about Avid brake noise take their bike right from the showroom floor to the trails without a proper bedding procedure. This is guaranteed to produce awful noises. Take the time to set up your brakes properly and you shouldn't have any issues.

I've bedded in my pads one brake at a time and two brakes at a time. Just be sure not to lock one up and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've never bedded the brake pads and never had any issues. I have 3 different bikes with disc brakes, two with Avid hydraulics discs and one with Avid mechanical discs. I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had any problems.

I've never read an instruction manual that came with my bikes so I didn't even realize this was a manufacturer recommended practice: -)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts