Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lots of snow out by the humber river.

having some fun jumping off a small drift...

friggin beavers that's a really old yellow birch being gnawed...

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I was hoping for a picture of an actual beaver.

PS, I'm also starting to look forward to riding my bicycle on dirt.

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
You sure that's beaver, looks a lot like porcupine damage to me. Saw lots of that when I did some work on the Bruce-Milton Hydro corridor up there. I couldn't believe how common those guys were up there, always thought they were a much more northern species.

·
Up, Up, and Away!
256 Posts
I'll second that...

LuMach said:
You sure that's beaver, looks a lot like porcupine damage to me. Saw lots of that when I did some work on the Bruce-Milton Hydro corridor up there. I couldn't believe how common those guys were up there, always thought they were a much more northern species.
Definitely looks porcupine to me, and very common along the Humber.

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
singlesprocket said:
pretty sure beaver, tracks go to the river into a icehole
Ok then, I'd say that's solid beaver evidence...

Interesting, I know porcupines resort to eating the softer inner bark of tree trunks in winter, didn't know beavers did the same. Shame about the damage, but how do you deter it? Spray coyote or bear piss at he base of trees that require special protection, or just let nature take it's course?

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LuMach said:
Ok then, I'd say that's solid beaver evidence...

Interesting, I know porcupines resort to eating the softer inner bark of tree trunks in winter, didn't know beavers did the same. Shame about the damage, but how do you deter it? Spray coyote or bear piss at he base of trees that require special protection, or just let nature take it's course?
here's a pic of the hole.

we tried all kinds of sprays, i think the only thing that would help would be wire mesh.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
We skied two new (to us) spots yesterday: Valens CA and the wilderness end of Christie. Both were pretty rustic and marshy and lots of fun. Even found a fresh rabbit carcass! :eek:

Not sure whether it'll be skiing or riding tonight. That 10 degree temperature flop has me a bit confused. :confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.