Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been exchanging emails with the folks at Fournales in France about their fork that Look pooped out on. They still make them. You can get a size M for 420.00 Euro. Decisions, decisions. 1350grams. Here's the non-Look Founales straight from the factory that created this fork.

I wonder how much weight you could scratch off this thing w/some Ti bolts?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
C'mon Axis, I know you want it, you know you want it, we ALL know you want it. BUY IT! Look how sexy it is, how can you resist the call of carbon and aluminum, lovingly crafted in such a way as to entice you to buy even if only to mount as a display piece?

Hey, I told you the first time I have NO problems with helping you spend your money.:p

If not for love, then do it for the economy. :D

You can always sell if off and know that it has respectable re-sale value. :rolleyes:

Okay, i'm out of excuses. I'll come back when I have more. :thumbsup:

Mmmmmmm, carbon. Arhrghghrghghghghg.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AndrewTO said:
C'mon Axis, I know you want it, you know you want it, we ALL know you want it. BUY IT! Look how sexy it is, how can you resist the call of carbon and aluminum, lovingly crafted in such a way as to entice you to buy even if only to mount as a display piece?

Hey, I told you the first time I have NO problems with helping you spend your money.:p

If not for love, then do it for the economy. :D

You can always sell if off and know that it has respectable re-sale value. :rolleyes:

Okay, i'm out of excuses. I'll come back when I have more. :thumbsup:

Mmmmmmm, carbon. Arhrghghrghghghghg.
I know, I know. Maybe I'm just trying to get someone else to jump in first.:D MMMM.....linkage fork......

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Damn ugly if you ask me! I hate those Linkage forks....

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Will they make one with 31.5mm extra tire clearance, to fit a short headtube?

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cloxxki said:
Will they make one with 31.5mm extra tire clearance, to fit a short headtube?
They come in three sizes. Or, are you being sarcastic. Is there an issue with tire clearance on this fork? Tell me now please before I make a terrible mistake!:eekster:

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DIRT BOY said:
Damn ugly if you ask me! I hate those Linkage forks....
Your entitled to your opinion, of course.:D I like it's industrial/militrary look. Slap some Mrazeks on it and it's a fork straight outa Terminator 1. And it's got a snake sticker. Snakes are cool.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
What's the length of this fork? Does it exhibit the same issue as the German:A? Also, is that a proprietary shock? Could it be replaced with something else?

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
mr.rogers said:
You guys don't want to know what I'm going to do with that fork. Think Dances With Wolves, meets Gladiator, meets Brokeback
Wha???.....sounds like a personal problem to me.:D Shouldn't you be selling a Hardrock or something?

PS. If I do get this fork I will not be leaving it w/you for any "private time."

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jakeplazma said:
What's the length of this fork? Does it exhibit the same issue as the German:A? Also, is that a proprietary shock? Could it be replaced with something else?
All good questions. Nobody has much info. on it AFAIK. Why doncha buy one and let us know?:D Anyhow, maybe Cloxxi knows something as he intimated in his criptic post. He's holding out. Maybe I'll PM him.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Batas said:
But isn´t the mass center a bit higher than usual?
Do you mean the height of your bars? If that's what you mean then, yes and no. I just heard back from Fornales that the Med. size is set up for a HT length of 137-153. If your on the low end of this then you need to add spacers to fill in the gap. I'm @ 137mm for my HT w/HS. This will raise my bar up way to high for my liking.:madman: Back to the drawing board....how do people like their Motion Control Sids these days?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Axis II said:
Do you mean the height of your bars? If that's what you mean then, yes and no. I just heard back from Fornales that the Med. size is set up for a HT length of 137-153. If your on the low end of this then you need to add spacers to fill in the gap. I'm @ 137mm for my HT w/HS. This will raise my bar up way to high for my liking.:madman: Back to the drawing board....how do people like their Motion Control Sids these days?
dont have a SID but have had now 2 Rebas with motion control. pretty nice fork. i especially love the remote poploc but then again, a real weight weenie would not add those extra grams.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FoShizzle said:
dont have a SID but have had now 2 Rebas with motion control. pretty nice fork. i especially love the remote poploc but then again, a real weight weenie would not add those extra grams.
The motion control should work the same on the SID, I'm thinking. If you set up the threshold high on your Reba does it stay pretty well locked out, or will it cut off? My 2004 Sid doesn't have the motion control.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Axis II said:
I believe the question was pertaining to the raising of the COG (Center Of Gravity) of the bike when they're installed. And yes, they do. All the weight of these forks and other's like it exhibit this characteristic. Wether or not it's a problem for the rider is a whooooole different ballgame.

You do, however, raise a good (often undiscussed) point with needing to increase the height of your handlebar. Funny, but I never thought of mentioning it untill reading your response. For me it's not a bad thing, but as you're pointing out - maybe not so good.

So at least we now know it's be a mantle-piece. :D :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
AndrewTO said:
I believe the question was pertaining to the raising of the COG (Center Of Gravity) of the bike when they're installed. And yes, they do. All the weight of these forks and other's like it exhibit this characteristic. Wether or not it's a problem for the rider is a whooooole different ballgame.

You do, however, raise a good (often undiscussed) point with needing to increase the height of your handlebar. Funny, but I never thought of mentioning it untill reading your response. For me it's not a bad thing, but as you're pointing out - maybe not so good.

So at least we now know it's be a mantle-piece. :D :thumbsup:
Had the Noleen and noticed that. I did feel the weight being up that high, and it did change the height of the handlebars. I swapped out forks (bikes actually). Both of my brothers are both still riding the Noleens and have had no problems with 'em.

Would a small version work? If the ranges overlap, it might work. It wouldn't mess up with the handlebar height that way.

The Amps (and I'm assuming similar forks) didn't seem to have the same problems. I'd love to try the German-A, but OUCH! 799/899 Euro! I've owned, and still own, bikes that cost less.

Maybe if they want to spot me one I'll be happy to promote it, heck i'll even write up a review for some of the mags. (If they would take it would be a different question though. ;) ) The only only concern that I'd have would be the length of the fork is still an issue though, my Marathon is 464 A-C and the German-A is still a A-C 480.

After I hit the powerball maybe I'll ask AMP if they'd commission a new run. ;)

JmZ

1 - 20 of 41 Posts