Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a pretty savvy wrench but bearings just have my brain in a vice. It seems from wheels to headsets to everything in between that manufacturers are determined to make bearing replacement the most confusing thing ever.

My current issue.

I have a set of Easton Haven 29ers and after an extremely muddy race my bearings are shot. They don't sell them on their website and a google search has led me to one ebay seller that says their bearings fit a whole bunch of different stuff, my wheels included. I may just buy them but I would like to see some other options or even just understand why the sellers bearings fit like 5 or 6 different wheels.

But I really don't know what I'm doing. Are bearings really proprietary to each wheel? To each manufacturer? Is there some series of dimensions that I should be working with? Are there any standards? Do I just have to buy them from the oem?

Please help me better understand bearings and the mystery there of. Thanks.

I know you are going to ask specifics. The wheels I have are 15 thru up front and standard qr out back. The front are definitely shot but I should probably replace the rears as well. Cassette body too.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
So I'm a pretty savvy wrench but bearings just have my brain in a vice. It seems from wheels to headsets to everything in between that manufacturers are determined to make bearing replacement the most confusing thing ever.

My current issue.

I have a set of Easton Haven 29ers and after an extremely muddy race my bearings are shot. They don't sell them on their website and a google search has led me to one ebay seller that says their bearings fit a whole bunch of different stuff, my wheels included. I may just buy them but I would like to see some other options or even just understand why the sellers bearings fit like 5 or 6 different wheels.

But I really don't know what I'm doing. Are bearings really proprietary to each wheel? To each manufacturer? Is there some series of dimensions that I should be working with? Are there any standards? Do I just have to buy them from the oem?

Please help me better understand bearings and the mystery there of. Thanks.

I know you are going to ask specifics. The wheels I have are 15 thru up front and standard qr out back. The front are definitely shot but I should probably replace the rears as well. Cassette body too.
It is not that difficult.
Most cartridge bearings have a part/style number on the seal. Just match that. Usually can be found at your local bearing shop or at http://endurobearings.com

I just repack the bearings without removing them a time or two before they require replacement.

Headset bearings are specific to application.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.