Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Go Bears!
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, it's been a long while since I've been on my bike, but hopefully I'll be able to get back into it soon.

When my old 2000 Enduro finally gives up the ghost, I'm debating between a Hollowpoint or a Turner. I rode a '04 Hollowpoint last year and was very impressed with the suspension, but I'm concerned about the life of bearings vs the zerk bushings in the Turner frames.

Any plans to look into something like this for the future?

ps. Hey Nate, that monitor I sold you still alive and kicking?

[edit] Just to clarify, I'm assuming that the Hollowpoint has bearings, from the look of the various pics, especially Nate's closeups, but that may not be the case.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Hey, where you been hiding out? Welcome to the best suspension in the world forum :)

I can confirm the Hollowpoint uses bearings, and are replacable should the need arise.

I'm not sure if Turner's use of bushings is primarily for weight savings or for user servicability or for stiffness, but there is going to be no difference in suspension action between a properly maintained cartridge bearing vs. a bushing.

I wouldn't be "concerned" about the use of bearings -- almost every manufacturer does, probably because the consumers, shops and mags demand it. From everything posted here, and in my two years on my Hollowpoint, bearing life hasn't been an issue on these bikes.

And yeah, my father-in-law is using that monitor on a daily basis and it's ticking along just fine. Thanks!

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
I had bushings on my Trek Fuel and it took 2 years to wear the main pivot. I was also dumb enough to lube them once, which I think contributed to quicker wear (they are dry lube).

I just picked up an 04 Hollowpoint and had it's first serious ride yesterday.

The rear of the Fuel is much stiffer laterally. But... I only noticed it on slow, in-the-seat ascents and hitting off-camber small rocks.

Note that the Fuel also is minus one pivot point and relies on frame flex which will also contribute to stiffness.

Bushings are supposed to have greater contact area and contribute to lateral stiffness.

I think for recreational riding either bushings or bearings are fine.

Mr. P

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.