Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Am Classic disc 225s from about '08 and I have a weird problem. I noticed that the non-drive side rear bearing is a bit rough. This is without an axle in place and with no load.

Remove the bearing from the hubshell and it's smoove. Install back in and it's rough again.

I'm pressing these in properly (I've been doing this for a LONG time...building wheels and such), so it's not an installation issue.

Am Classic is telling me to purchase new bearings from their site. No thanks. I can source the bearings 80% cheaper somewhere else. I'm more concerned with WHY this is happening.

AJ

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
When you press the bearing in the hub shell will compress the outer bearing race. The bearing should have enough tolerance to accommodate this, but a damaged bearing will often feel gritty only when compressed. It is still possible that the hub shells is a little undersize and is compressing the bearing too much.

The hub is old so I'm guessing the bearing is old. AC uses Stainless bearings in all of their new hubs. In 2008 I do not believe they were stainless. Stainless bearings are several times more expensive than their chromoly counterpart.

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, so last night after my first ride in a couple of years, I took the hub apart and re-set the bearings. They seem to roll OK, however, they are still pretty rough when in the hubshell.

I'm going to ride them 'til they die, then just replace them with a better set of SS bearings.

AJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.