Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a creak on my Podium which I couldn't get rid of...

I read this to solve it...
http://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/delirious-over-creaking-sound-help-701301.html

I took the lower bearing apart, but I didn't read this:madman:....
http://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/bearing-maintenence-717118.html

and went too far and removed the bearing plastic spacer and couldn't get it back in:madman:. I should have used a grease gun

Now I am ordering bearings as described in this from Enduro
http://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/endo-pivot-bearing-servicing-601367.html

I did put the bike back together with the one bearing packed with grease as I don't want loose parts.

Since I don't want to mess up the frame, I am getting the bearing puller and press. My Knolly buddies are happy and they are already lined up to service their bike bearing now:rolleyes:!

In the end, the creak is gone:thumbsup:

As with this thread....
http://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/so-i-am-basically-worst-bike-owner-world-737545.html

learn from my mistakes;)

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
You guys make fun of me for cleaning my bikes so much, I must say however that I have never had to replace a pivot bearing on any frame I have owned. I even hose my bike off after every ride, but I blow out all the bearings areas with compressed air after every ride. I dont ride in mud as often as you guys do but they have seen their fair share for sure.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have yet to service my Delirium bearings and its makes zero sound (ridden in a lot of wetness). I hate a creaking bike.

In hindsight, I think a little grease here and there and I would have been done - no problem. I went too far, as usual:) - hence my post avoid my mistake. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

Now that I am getting the tools, I are replacing out lower pivot bearings on both bikes.

·
Yebo Numzaan
982 Posts
bought the bearings from Noel and changed the main pivot bearings on the VT after 2+ yrs of PNW riding (40+ days at Whistler in those first 2 yrs).

Ideally I think it is best to inspect the bearings at the end of each winter...if you ride thru the winter or at the end of summer if you are hanging the bike up for the winter

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you replace all of them or just the lower pivot? If I am going down this road, I should be complete...
I figure the lower pivot gets the most abuse.

My bikes don't get hung for very long. If I am not riding, I actually hop on each one after work every day to unwind and switch the brain off. My neighbors think I am nuts - hopping curbs, practicing my pathetic manual, and doing turns...

Thanks
Jamie

·
Yebo Numzaan
982 Posts
it was the main pivots that were rough...however i just said 'screw it' and replaced them all. I figured if i was taking the bike in to the shop / ordering new bearings I might as well do it all!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I guess I got lucky. My DT went 2.5 years of riding in mud, snow, slush, sand and after that the bearings were fine. A couple were a little sticky but very useable. And I NEVER wash my bike. I let it dry, scrape it off and lube occasionally with chain-lube. The Delirium is following the same course so far.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
Did you replace all of them or just the lower pivot? If I am going down this road, I should be complete...
I figure the lower pivot gets the most abuse.

My bikes don't get hung for very long. If I am not riding, I actually hop on each one after work every day to unwind and switch the brain off. My neighbors think I am nuts - hopping curbs, practicing my pathetic manual, and doing turns...

Thanks
Jamie
Get some lil skinnies in 2x4 or 2x6 sizes of various elevations together for this sort of thing. Mad fun and relaxing/requires focus.

·
Registered
226 Posts
One creak I've had is from the bolt backing out slightly on the non drive side rear push link in the rocker arm. Ti bolts apparently like to do that.

That is the only creaking I've had in 2 seasons on my Podium.

·
Yebo Numzaan
982 Posts
I guess I got lucky. My DT went 2.5 years of riding in mud, snow, slush, sand and after that the bearings were fine. A couple were a little sticky but very useable. And I NEVER wash my bike. I let it dry, scrape it off and lube occasionally with chain-lube. The Delirium is following the same course so far.
I think i am the same as you bru.

After getting my VTach I met up with Noel at Whistler a couple weeks later and was ashamed at how dirty it was...i probably tried to clean it with my shirt quickly and then apologized and he laughed and said he never cleaned his bike, just dusted it off when dry and took care of the drive chain. There is no need to introduce more water..where bearings are involved.

Even though it doesnt feel right to put my bike away dirty, the dirt really does come off easilly with a soft brush when its dry. I use a wax lube which doesnt protect against rust, so i have to brush the chain off asap and apply new wax.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.