Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
swapping over some travel plates on my bike and need to remove these gits, im getting no where fast and have tried a few things but i'm stopping shy of whacking them with a hammer incase i damage them.

was hoping someone else might have had some experience of be able to offer up some advice?

cheers

Attachments

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
If you have a vise, or a good c-clamp, put a socket on one side that just fits inside the rocker arm, fitting onto the outer bearing race over the big end of the git. Use the vise (best) or clamp to squeeze the git into the socket.

vise jaw ] small end of git, rocker, big end of git under socket [ vise jaw

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I basically use the same method as Monte for bearings and such. In re-reading eddio's post, he uses the term "reducer", so I'm wondering if he's referring to those "plugged-in" reducers only. I'm not familiar with the term "git". For those reducers, I'd use some form of penetrating oil and soak them for a bit before trying to press them out of the bearing using the method already described. I would apply the penetrating liquid just on the reducer perimeter...not soak the whole bearing. I would install any new or old reducers with antiseize.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok guys "git" isnt a actual technical term, which im fairly sure u both picked up on, more my frustration caused me to refer to it as one.

thanks for the advice, 2 minutes after posting i went out and gave it a go with my gear puller and rather amazingly was successful, something im not quite used to. now this thread and the other one i made seem utterly pointless lol.

anyway, thanks once again guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.