Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some ball bearings for overhauling hubs at home, and I'm looking for some advice. In the past, I've used bearing from my local bike shop, but I'm wondering if there are bearings that are of a specific grade or quality for bikes. If I buy bearings in bulk from my local bike shop, are they any different than those that I might find at a local hardware store? For that matter, are there different grades of ball bearings or certain brands that are recommended for use in bike hubs?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Wormburner said:
I want to get some ball bearings for overhauling hubs at home, and I'm looking for some advice. In the past, I've used bearing from my local bike shop, but I'm wondering if there are bearings that are of a specific grade or quality for bikes. If I buy bearings in bulk from my local bike shop, are they any different than those that I might find at a local hardware store? For that matter, are there different grades of ball bearings or certain brands that are recommended for use in bike hubs?
If I recall there are grades, or at least I had to order specific ones of a particular size at a job I had a long time ago. I've also read how some makers match them by weight to insure consistency.

As far as bikes, I used to get Campy because in the day their hubs were the standard, and Record hubs I had from late 60s and mid 90s were as good as I've ever seen. The 94 Record hubs are still perfect with orginal balls.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Wormburner said:
There are grades but I don't remember them.

Balls only have to be the same diameter to work in oyour hub.

Go to your hardware store and ask for some swedish, german, japanese or american made bearing balls, Quality goes in that order.

As for brands, NTN, Timken, SKF, *** and NSK are among the best ones for bearings out there.

·
Technology is my friend.
101 Posts
Grade 25 is the best

The grade number measures the sphericity of the balls, in millionths of an inch. Smaller is better. Grade 25 is "Campy quality". Use them if you can find them, they really aren't that expensive. Ask around at your LBS's. The first couple I tried had 300 grade or so. In reality, I don't know how important this is. Keeping them clean, properly adjusted, and regularly maintained is obviously more important.

See the following for more information.
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part4/section-2.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.