Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running Crossmax SLRs on a Lefty DLR2 SL (Taurine Team 07) for last 12months and have never had smooth rotation. I have repeatedly tried to re-install the wheel on the axle with teflon grease, grease packed around rubber o-ring on bolt, no o-ring, etc, but at best get about 1-2 revs following a fairly hard shove. Anyone out there got any other ideas??. Getting a bit frustrated that Mavic's best can't do better. Also rear manages a poor 3-4 Revs? Do these need maintenance/adjustement? Any advice gratefully received?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am curious as to what kind of answers you get. I have now put one season on mine and they still do not spin very freely- kind of bummed about that aspect of these wheels. My rear one seems like it would spin a lot more freely if I took the plastic spoke protector out from behind the cassette- anyone know if this is true? The spokes rub on it while the wheel is turning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i've got the 08 Taurine Team and the only issue i've had with the lefty hub on the slr's is a high-pitched noise which was cured with a little chain lube on the o-ring - apart from that the only thing slowing the spinning of the hub occasionally is an avid disc pad alignment issue...

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,266 Posts
Like 99.9% of every Lefty owner in here I'd say remove the darn rubber o-ring that you'll find under the Lefty hub bolt cap attached to the wheel bolt..
I just pack a lot of grease in there and it spins freely ever since.
Another cause of your problem might be the plastic bearing cover on the brake side....I removed that one as well. :thumbsup:
Give that a try and let us know how it went.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I know this may sound dumb, but did you make sure that your calipers are centered and the rotors arnt dragging?

What kind of terrain to you ride in? Lots of Mud? Hose your bike off after a ride? These may all contribute to premature bearing ware.

If eveything with the brakes is good, then check the bearings with your finger. Its not too hard to take apart either of the hubs, if there is any side to side play, they will need to be replaced. If there isnt any side to side play try to coat, and I mean COAT, the bearings in grease. This is only a temp fix, but if it does work, then the bearings are worn. Stock bearings are pretty cheap.

Check the Helicoil on the Lefty, I have seen them stick out and prevent the bearings from rotating correctly.

If all of that fails, try new bearings. Also check the torque that you are applying to the lefty hub bolt, they can be finickey if there is too much pressure, which could also lead to crushing the bearings.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Digging out an old thread: I have this problem as well.

Have replaced cannondale lefty hub wheels with 08 Crossmax STs (off ebay, not used).
The new wheel does not spin very well. There seems to be a problem with the front hub. I have narrowed the problem down to the bearing near the 5mm bolt. It is quite hard to do up the bolt when tightening the wheel on the lefty. No such problem tightening the bolt on the old hub. Does this sound like a new bearing i need or lots of grease in there somewhere?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Read two posts above from Cdalemaniac

"Like 99.9% of every Lefty owner in here I'd say remove the darn rubber o-ring that you'll find under the Lefty hub bolt cap attached to the wheel bolt..
I just pack a lot of grease in there and it spins freely ever since. "

·
don't stop
124 Posts
I have the Crossmax ST's on my Rize, and the same issue (high bearing 'drag' on front hub) was obvious to me when the bike was new. I talked to Cannondale tech support and they hinted that I could try to swap the o-ring for a slightly smaller one or liberally oil things up.

I tried a little oil, and that helped initially. I also found it got better over time, as I put more miles on the bike. A couple thoughts however:

You'll notice that if you take your wheel off the Lefty, the bearings run butter smooth (if not, then you genuinely do have a bearing problem). If the bearing 'drag' increases only when the wheel is mounted and torqued, then it is a symptom of the fastening system.

I would hesitate against removing the o-ring (after discussing with Cannondale tech and my LBS, this is the conclusion I/we reached). Unlike a standard front wheel that usually has cone nuts or some sort of adjustment to set bearing tension (e.g. a regular Crossmax has that 4-holed tool for the outer nut), the Left wheel has no such adjustment. So... the way the Lefty system is intended to set proper bearing tension (and the only way it can) is by use of a compression o-ring and torquing the wheel to the axle at the recommended strength.

This means that if you remove your o-ring, yes, your wheel will spin smoother because there will be less bearing tension and therefore less drag. BUT... I believe you risk real damage to your lefty hub (damaged bearing and possibly hub and axle) in the long term. I have no data per se on Lefty's to support this conclusion, but when I worked as a mechanic years back I saw countless hubs damaged (particularly ball and cone) by people who had let the cone nuts or bearing tension become too loose.

Still, if you are worried about this bearing drag in your front wheel, I would add that you need to put it in perspective to the drag of the whole 'system' (e.g. aerodynamic, gravitational, friction). Your bottom bracket and drive train like has significant more drag (remember there are two types, static and dynamic... your front wheel coming to a stop after a few revs is showing both, particularly static, when really dynamic is only what matters when you are moving). Then again, if you are one of those types who puts ceramic bearings in your derailleur pulleys, then maybe this is an issue for you...

My .02,

RBR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.