Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only a few rides on the bike and I took the upper linkage apart after a good mud ride after the recent Socal rain we had just to make sure all the grit and water was out from the bearing surfaces and I noticed the bearings don't feel as smooth as they should be.

Is this normal? They say 6001LLUMAX on the shields and ENDURO. Are there better bearings to get?

Thanks

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hate to break it to ya, but there is no such thing as a sealed bearing that completely shuts out water and mud (at least not available for a bicycle). And even if no water or mud got in the bearings you will definetly get grit inbetween the inner bearing race, and the bolts. This grit will grind away at the bolts where the bearings ride on them. It always amazes me that some people (not necessarily you) think that just because Intenses' are expensive frames the bearings are magical and will completely shed water and mud. Luckily you live in SoCal, and dont need to ride in the rain if you dint want to. To keep your frame in tip-top pshape I reccomend staying out of the rain and mud

·
Registered
126 Posts
^ why riders from cali are whimps! just kidding!

don't spray the bike down with a high pressure washer. use a brush and regular garden hose.

ride the **** out of it with a few rebuilds a year. pop in some new bearings when needed and sell it when it's done it's dues for ya!

then you'll be a happy customer who got the most out of their Temecula pride

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
Take the shock off and cycle through the travel. As long as it is not sticking or creaking, you should be fine. Otherwise, service the bearings or replace them. By the way, that little bit of rain last week should not have much of an impact on your bearings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya well thanks for the input anyway. My last bike had the same problem too. Looks as if the ENDURO max bearings are pretty good. I don't think the frame has anything to do with quailty of the bearings, I just thought there might be a better option guys have used as far as bearings go.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, I have to say after rebuilding my spider that, I’ll have to say that method that intense uses to encapsulate their bearings is piss poor.. They have managed to address this issue with the lower links but as for the upper link, the bearings are still left exposed to the environment. Although you can say the bearing that were used were crap, I don’t fully agree with that; with a miniature bearing, there is only a given amount of allowance that could be designed into the bearing design (seal and casing wise), after that the bearing applicator is responsible for design some degree or additional/redundant protective allowance in their design).

Although intense bikes are questioned in this case, many other bike manufacturers are all on the same boat, many of them have neglect to consider the longevity of the bearing, as bearings seems to be treated as disposable/replaceable items. As for bearing design, I believe SantaCruz seems to have their bearing dialed in.

All I can say is avoid riding in rainy or wet conditions, as the bearings on the bike are not encapsulated (like those in a good hub).. Apart from that the only thing you can do is to inspect your bearings every so often, and if it is gritty, air blast the grease and dirt out and repack the bearing with grease (note: the bearing grease also have a tendency to liquefy, which would allow moisture infiltration).

Another possibility is that, the bearing is pressed in with a bearing press which puts pressure on the inner race, which tends to bugger up the bearing during installation process; try rolling the inner race between your finger and if it feels gritty with hardly any ride in the bike, it is quite likely that the bearing is buggered during installation..

Shaun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.