Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of 2003 Cane Creek Zonos Disc (SS) wheels more than a year ago. The hubs have sealed bearing cartridges and are very easy to adjust the preload on the bearings with the tension adjustor. I have loved the wheels for aggressive cross country riding and they have remained remarkably true.

Two days ago after a 20 mile ride that included about eight water crossings I noticed an obvious problem with the rear wheel, which was bound up and not free-wheeling properly.

When I disassembled the rear hub I found that three of the four sealed bearing cartridges were bad, two were essentially frozen up. All three of the failed bearings were from Enduro, while the remaining good bearing had a Cane Creek label on it.

I don't think the one wet ride did in those bearings, and I felt that I had kept an eye on proper preload adjustment over time, so I was pretty disappointed in what I thought was a pretty short service life for those bearings. None the less, those are wear items and I was fully prepared to purchase a set of replacement bearings from Cane Creek.

I sent an email to let them know what I needed, and that I wanted to purchase a new bearing set. I did inquire as to whether they had experienced a bad batch of Enduro bearings back at the time that wheel was produced.

Within hours Cane Creek Customer Service answered, saying they were sending out an entire new bearing set (for free!). They indicated they were now using different bearings for that wheel, which I took to mean perhaps I wasn't the only one that had experienced problems. The bearings are on their way, and I have once again gotten EXCEPTIONAL Customer Service from Cane Creek. That company is a pleasure to work with.

Anybody else had similar bearing failures?

John W.

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
Cane Creek wheels

I have a set of 00/01 ? Cane Creek WAM wheels.....bearings are easy to replace and service...thanks goodness....but parts cost cash.....i ran thru a set of bearings a year for 2yrs and 2 freehub bodies which cost the most to replace.......the hubs are not sealed good at all....i am very clean with my gear and dont ride thru deep water sections or heavy mud.....but otherwise the wheels are great....stay true...and cane creek is easily accessible....they fixed my hubs, new bearings and freehub body for free and quick at the Tsali race 2 years ago...very cool of them.....but like i said they need to figure a way to seal up those hubs better, then there wheels would be the best i think .....oh yeah same goes for any of there bearings i suppose, dont bother buying a cane creek C2 headset....those things freeze up right after ya put it on -JB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts