Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious on whom might have interest in a bearing conversion kit for all current DW link frames? I'm guessing you may want a lot of questions answered right away but I am still in testing mode for the aluminum frames and have some design work and testing for the Czar. Just give me a :thumbsup:if it sounds good. More info will come later. Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
I thought they had bearings already, journal bearings, just like cams, rods and crankshafts in cars do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
I am just curious on whom might have interest in a bearing conversion kit for all current DW link frames? I'm guessing you may want a lot of questions answered right away but I am still in testing mode for the aluminum frames and have some design work and testing for the Czar. Just give me a :thumbsup:if it sounds good. More info will come later. Thanks!!!
Aint gunna be cheap or easy.

The kits for GT LTS's back in the day were $120/each and took a good couple hours to install.

I'd be interested, depending on what you come up with.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks iheart! It has been some experiment time, that's for sure, and a whole box full of bearings that could have worked. As of right now, I should begin testing on the Czar this weekend, the rear is rolling nicely. As far as what's involved, bearings, stainless shafts, special ones for the rocker pivots on the Czar, the new DW one piece link for the aluminum frames, the Czar already has it and some reamed out original bushings. No changes are needed to any original parts so it can be put back to the journal bearings at any time.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Are you planning on using ball or roller bearings?

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Given the space and the load requirements I ended up with needle bearings.
Good. That will last longer and remain smoother than ball bearings.

will the grease ports remain intact and useable?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree! And yes, the grease ports are the best part of the whole project. Just don't use the Super Lube grease, I had a set of needles start galling half way through the first test ride.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Always interested in improving an already great bike!

The word "reaming" in your answer above has me frowning, though.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
that would be interesting to know the longevity of your bearings experiment ;-)

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
the enduro needle bearing kit that replaces the upper and lower rear fox shock eyelet bushings is worth the investment.

·
Registered
148 Posts
jrm, can you be more specific? I never considered bearings for my suspension, but have wondered about the eyelets. did you do this conversion and feel/notice a significant difference?

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I'd be interested in a set at least just for the lower link. Three sets of turner supplied bushings and one set of Push red bushings.........they just wear out too quickly and I can't keep them tight.

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,333 Posts
I'd be interested in a set at least just for the lower link. Three sets of turner supplied bushings and one set of Push red bushings.........they just wear out too quickly and I can't keep them tight.
Glad I just read this...in chasing a creak from my bike I replaced the BB yesterday morning before riding, but the creak still seemed to be there. Just checked the DW link bolts and both loose, particularly the front one.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Glad I just read this...in chasing a creak from my bike I replaced the BB yesterday morning before riding, but the creak still seemed to be there. Just checked the DW link bolts and both loose, particularly the front one.
I had this problem, too.

anyone locktite them?

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I remembered something kind of relevant after I made that post. When I first got my 5 spot, I was getting some binding on the bigger pivots if they were tight. I called Turner and they told me they had gotten a batch of bushings that were a little snug. They send me some smaller pivot shafts. I don't think I switched those back out when I put the push bushings in so I'm probably running a slightly narrower shaft in there right now.

I'm going to switch that out tonight and see if that does it. This may be my own fault for running one narrower than what push used for their measurements. But yeah, it's only on the lower link, everything else is still completely snug, smooth and friction free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks iheart! It has been some experiment time, that's for sure, and a whole box full of bearings that could have worked. As of right now, I should begin testing on the Czar this weekend, the rear is rolling nicely. As far as what's involved, bearings, stainless shafts, special ones for the rocker pivots on the Czar, the new DW one piece link for the aluminum frames, the Czar already has it and some reamed out original bushings. No changes are needed to any original parts so it can be put back to the journal bearings at any time.
Very interested in this type of upgrade, particularly for aluminum frames. Do you have some pics to illustrate how you installed the bearings or is it Top Secret ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts